Google Search iOS app update takes on Apple's Siri with smarter conversations

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Google's official Search application for iPhone and iPad was updated on Tuesday with enhanced functionality, allowing users to have "smarter conversations" with the software in a manner not unlike Apple's own Siri personal assistant.

With Google Search version 4.0.0, users can ask questions with their voice, by either tapping the microphone icon or simply saying "OK, Google" while the application is open.

From there, Google Search can respond to queries such as "What's the weather like?" The new "smart" conversational style allows users to ask follow-up questions such as "How about this weekend?" and the system will understand the context.

The Google Search update also provides users with updates on favorite topics, upcoming trips, and other material such as selected authors or blogs.

Version 4.0.0 of Google Search also includes cricket sports card in the Google Now view, faster loading, and more fluid image results.

Voice search first came to Google Search in late 2012, at the time proclaiming it to be the "most advanced voice search" available. As Apple and Google have become fierce rivals in the mobile space, Apple has made efforts to move away from the search giant, making the default search engine for Siri Microsoft's Bing with last year's iOS 7 update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Why bother? Google sucks.

• Reply 2 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

“Answers before you ask”

Not only is this not a point in its favor, this concept is terrifying and invasive.

• Reply 3 of 55
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

And Apple will update Siri with IOS 8 and it will still be better and won't sell your information to the world like Google will.

• Reply 4 of 55
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member

Google Now is pretty cool - love its cards. When I was travelling, it'd show me nearby attractions, time back at home, and a currency converter. It also does cool things like showing traffic.

I can understand why some people would be concerned by it, but that's why it's an opt-in feature.

• Reply 5 of 55
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    "OK Google, recommend a nearby restaurant for dinner"

"Based on your location, and all the information we have compiled on you from all your past Google searches and gmail messages, Google has a recommendation for you, but first Google will show you ads for 4 other restaurants that have paid us money to promote them.

"Google is sorry you are not interested in any of the restaurants in those ads - Google recommends you go to the 7-Eleven around the corner and get a microwave burrito and a Slurpee"
  • Reply 6 of 55
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Except all the comments you all made, Google is doing also what Apple is doing.  Just accept it.  s/

• Reply 7 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    msimpson wrote: »

"Based on your location, and all the information we have compiled on you from all your past Google searches and gmail messages, Google has a recommendation for you, but first Google will show you ads for 4 other restaurants that have paid us money to promote them.

"Google is sorry you are not interested in any of the restaurants in those ads - Google recommends you go to the 7-Eleven around the corner and get a microwave burrito and a Slurpee"

Marge, is that you?
  • Reply 8 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Talking of Google ... which I try to avoid, but as we are ... The only thing I still used of Googles on my Mac was their maps.google service now and then, now with my Magic Mouse, they zoom in and out like the page is possessed and are impossible to use. I was convinced it was me drinking too much but I'm starting to think it is lousy programming now.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    "...in a manner not unlike Apple's own Siri…" Huh?

I have yet to have Siri understand a follow up question. This capability is not new to Google either, perhaps improved, but the ability to ask follow up questions has long been a major differentiation between the two.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member

Apple, Google and Amazon are competitor's who parasiticlly squat in the Apple-store git rid of them.

• Reply 11 of 55
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Google discovers that people are far more willing to accept voluntary surveillance if they opt-in to get free services in return.

Think I'm joking? I'm not.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Speaking "OK, Google" is not working for me on my iPhone 4. Does it require a newer handset for the always-on listening?
  • Reply 13 of 55
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    The former Apple fan sites like this one has sold their souls to Google. Why else would they post articles that praise a Google update and imply their update gives them smarter conversations. They mention Siri in the title but fail to mention Siri has long been able to do this. Try out their example on an iPhone, Siri correctly answers both the initial and follow up question. It can even do it with sports scores, making dinner reservation or even just getting direction after searching something. If Apple includes something that Google had they are lacking in innovation even if their implementation is much better and includes tech Apple patented years ago. Even the Beats deal is called a desperate move but Google can spend 4 times as much on failing companies that still fail and they are praised for it.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

Not to worry, instead of buying some real AI companies, Tim Cook will just buy some more urban brands to convince kids that Siri's better than Google Now.

• Reply 15 of 55
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Speaking "OK, Google" is not working for me on my iPhone 4. Does it require a newer handset for the always-on listening?

According to the app's description, the specific "Ok Google" voice functionality requires an iPhone 4S or later.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-search/id284815942?mt=8

• Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Try out their example on an iPhone, Siri correctly answers both the initial and follow up question. It can even do it with sports scores, making dinner reservation or even just getting direction after searching something.

You're right Siri does seem to understand a follow up question about the weather as in the above example. Seems like it might be a special case as in pre-programmed contexts. As you say she is also good with sports information, but I tried lots of other contextual questions with no luck. She mostly just points to a wikipedia page with generic information regarding some word in my follow up question. A large percentage of the time she gets the first question wrong so there is no point in a follow up.

What is the furthest plant from the Sun?

Siri: The answer is Neptune.

What is its distance from the Sun?

Siri: The distance from the Earth to the Sun is about 1.01 astronomical units

How far is that in kilometers?

Siri: I searched the web and found this: (how to convert kilometers to miles)

I tried the exact thing in Google and it was flawless.

• Reply 17 of 55
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Doesn't work like that. Never had a ad with Google Now.

• Reply 18 of 55
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Perhaps he was joking.

• Reply 19 of 55
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is not the distance to the sun, it's a definition of the phrase 'astronomical unit'

• Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is not the distance to the sun, it's a definition of the phrase 'astronomical unit'

Whatever… it was not the answer to the question I asked. I'm having a fun time over here asking contextual follow up questions. So far Siri is batting worse than Mike Moustakas, but don't try to ask Siri who that is.