Adobe ID failure takes Creative Cloud down for nearly 24 hours

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waveghel View Post

If you already installed and used a CC app, yes no oroblem: you will go into demo-mode and have days left untill the hext check.

However:

You can now not download nor install any new CC app;

Every FIRST run of a CC app needs an internet connection: it will not go to demo-mode even at first run, it will not even start;

TypeKit fonts can NOT be synced now;

The complete DPS system is also diwn which means many, many missed deadlines!

The mess is far far bigger than most small users here seem to realize...

Sounds like a lot of hyperbole. Why exactly is your complete DPS down and mine is working just fine?

Clearly, if you can't download a new app right now, it doesn't matter if you can't run it for the first time. Typekit fonts that you have synced before should run just fine. So you are missing many, many deadlines? Why exactly? My entire CC is working just fine.

• Reply 22 of 52
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't think it phones home all that often. My copy is currently working fine without needing me to go offline.

In theory, this should only affect users who want to install new components.

Or those who use Adobe's cloud storage. I don't use that. I've been working everyday in CC and wasn't even aware of the issue until reading it here.

I like the subscription model for a few reasons.

1) It is easy to keep everything up to date.  

2) It is cheaper for those of us who use it professionally and always need the latest version for compatibility and

3) Because it makes it more difficult for people to pirate the software thus reducing unfair competition from cheaters.

Adobe has been making a huge effort lately to provide more services and lots extra tutorials, events, case studies and stuff to make sure that their customers are getting their money's worth.

Of course Adobe are bending over backwards to make it attractive now - they've only just started the subscription model. Will they still be bending over backwards in five years' time?

• Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Of course Adobe are bending over backwards to make it attractive now - they've only just started the subscription model. Will they still be bending over backwards in five years' time?

How would anyone know the answer to that? Maybe they will be out of business because CC is such a disaster. 

• Reply 24 of 52
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

How would anyone know the answer to that? Maybe they will be out of business because CC is such a disaster. 

My point was that Adobe currently have an incentive to constantly improve and make attractive CC. If growth has levelled off in five years' time, they may well not do, to the detriment of the customers.

• Reply 25 of 52
    srgticksrgtick Posts: 1member
    Absolute idiots Adobe. Haven't been able to use PhotoShop for 2 days. Time to give Sketch a try. This was such a poorly thought out idea.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

Too bad for Adobe. This kind of thing would be tough to live down.

Right. And when Apple's dev center was down for weeks last year that was ok.

• Reply 27 of 52
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Still down 4:18 eastern time Thursday.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I agree, Apple should buy Adobe. Before Google does.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

I agree, Apple should buy Adobe. Before Google does.

I doubt there is much chance of Google buying Adobe. They are night and day. Adobe is all about art, design, creative work, typography, etc. Google doesn't give a crap about that stuff. I sincerely doubt Apple wants Adobe either, which is fine by me. Besides it would take nearly $40 B to buy Adobe

• Reply 30 of 52
    waveghelwaveghel Posts: 6member
    I don't think you grasp the whole picture here:
    pro users can not log in and Publish their DPS aps right now (sure, you can work on DPS documents but not upload to publish);
    Class room situations have fresh installs every week: first run does not work in many of our classes;
    Class rooms, freelance accounts in our firm mean signing out on one computer to sign in elsewere. However you can not sign in again at this moment and this will leave you stuck as CC apps (in contrast to CS6) will not even start as demo.
    If you have projects using TypeKit fonts that need to be finished on another computer (like a laptop) that did not yet have that TypeKit font synced on that machine now have a big problem as they can not sync.

Now you maybe understand a bit better how big this problem is? Maybe not for small users and individuals like you, but look a bit further and realize that professionals and companies have a very big problem today!!!
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

...professionals and companies have a very big problem today!!!

Anyone who uses three exclamation points is not a professional in my book.

• Reply 32 of 52
    thetorreythetorrey Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

EXACTLY the reason why some of my customers switched over to Quark when Adobe came up with their stupid subscription service.

Now more people are thinking the same thing and my advice would be to change if it does not cause to much upheaval.

It is perfectly feasible to hang on to the CS6 bundle for old stuff and use Quark for new designs.

Hooray for Quark!  Our prepress department has been using Quark for YEARS.  The only reason we have InDesign is to support any customers who bring their files.  

• Reply 33 of 52
    waveghelwaveghel Posts: 6member

!!!

A professional that is very pissed of may use three sometimes 8-)

• Reply 34 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Adobe stopped offering standalone versions of their popular Creative Suite last year, forcing those who wished to upgrade to the newest edition to purchase it on the Creative Cloud subscription model. Many users criticized that decision, often citing potential scenarios much like this one.

That's because they don't seem to understand that the standalone products use an online license too:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195856
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/3954593

Enforcing it mildly helped people to pirate their software.

It sucks when any online service goes down, whether it's your email server, iCloud, whatever and a big service should make sure it goes down as infrequently as possible but these things happen.

It's true that CC is more dependent on online services but people have this idea that CS was not dependent on them at all and that's not the case.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So if I decided to "upgrade" to CC, instead of sticking with CS6, I would have been completely fucked. I had like 10 deadlines yesterday and would have not been able to do any work- would have royally pissed off clients, and would have alot of explaining and apologizing to do. **** Adobe and their internet subscription model. 

• Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:

!!!

A professional that is very pissed of may use three sometimes 8-)

Apologies. I always think Adobe CC users are like me and very anal about typography. But I have to admit I was ill-informed about what you were referring to with the abbreviation DPS. I have since read up on it and I see it is mostly about converting inDesign projects into iOS apps which sounds nice but I would suspect a more purist approach would be to write iOS apps in Xcode. But if it works, it works, whatever.

At least the site is up now.

• Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So if I decided to "upgrade" to CC, instead of sticking with CS6, I would have been completely fucked. I had like 10 deadlines yesterday and would have not been able to do any work- would have royally pissed off clients, and would have alot of explaining and apologizing to do. **** Adobe and their internet subscription model. 

Please explain. What would have held you back. I worked all day with CC and no interruptions. You need better clients.

• Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

EXACTLY the reason why some of my customers switched over to Quark when Adobe came up with their stupid subscription service.

Now more people are thinking the same thing and my advice would be to change if it does not cause to much upheaval.

It is perfectly feasible to hang on to the CS6 bundle for old stuff and use Quark for new designs.

I haven't used Quark since version 6.5, but that version would not run unless you were connected to the Internet and it phoned home every single time you launched it. Not sure how it works now and not about to find out. If someone sent me a Quark job I would reject it, or have a prepress house convert it to a pdf and then I would open it in Illustrator. Even if I had to rebuild the entire thing, for me, it would still be better than using Quark.

• Reply 39 of 52
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

I have lots of reasons to dislike the subscription model. This is reason #1, and frankly, this one doesn't even require that I come up with a reason #2... it is reason enough.

I am no longer a paying Adobe customer. I will never embrace the subscription model for high level software. Storage, Media, Services and Content? Sure. I have and will continue to subscribe to those things, which are a relevant context for that model (thinking along the lines of things like Netflix, iTunes Match, Dropbox, and so on... utilitarian services and entertainment content that are a natural fit)....

Mission critical software? Never.

If Adobe's model were all that existed, would the entire visual design world have essentially gone dark for the last 24 hours? Is that even remotely acceptable? 

Not now, not ever. I hope Adobe is hearing us...

• Reply 40 of 52
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Only one of many reasons subscription will NEVER be a choice I make.