Bentley's 'short documentary' shot on iPhone 5s, edited on iPad Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neomiguel View Post

I am a video producer. There are a multitude of accessories for the iPhone, including high quality field mics, so your comment is somewhat ignorant about technical matters. An about editing on iPad, of course is possible to do with the video we saw here.

My question is why? I can see why Apple shot their documentary on an iPhone, but why Bentley? 

I would think using a camera with interchangeable lenses, VR stabilization, ProRes, etc would be the first choice for a company like Bentley. I always thought of iOS video as, the best camera is the one you have with you, but if you are scheduling a shoot, professionals usually plan ahead and bring the best equipment for the job. I don't think anyone would argue that an iPhone and an iPad are the best equipment for a professional video project.

• Reply 22 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

My question is why? I can see why Apple shot their documentary on an iPhone, but why Bentley? 

Bentley didn't choose to create the video on Apple's products just for kicks, but instead to show off the Mulsanne's impressive on-board entertainment and connectivity suite. For example, the car comes with twin electrically-deployed tables that boast a hidden iPad holder and dedicated space for Apple's wireless keyboard.

• Reply 23 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    neomiguel wrote: »
    I am a video producer. There are a multitude of accessories for the iPhone, including high quality field mics, so your comment is somewhat ignorant about technical matters. An about editing on iPad, of course is possible to do with the video we saw here.
    Yes, and it says 'assembled' on an ipad, not edited. One of first parts of any edit is to assemble the shots you think you'll use in an assembly / rough cut. Often times that assembly can be quite sophisticated. I am not saying this is what happened but it would be possible to assemble the video on an iPad and later finish it somwhere else. On the other hand it would be a fun challenge to to do all the post production on the iPad. It has piqued my interest.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    I like that Banksy statement a lot, irrelevant as it is to this discussion.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    mstone wrote: »

I would think using a camera with interchangeable lenses, VR stabilization, ProRes, etc would be the first choice for a company like Bentley. I always thought of iOS video as, the best camera is the one you have with you, but if you are scheduling a shoot, professionals usually plan ahead and bring the best equipment for the job. I don't think anyone would argue that an iPhone and an iPad are the best equipment for a professional video project.
    It immediately draws people's attention. The ad was even posted by AI. Free advertising.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Bentley didn't choose to create the video on Apple's products just for kicks, but instead to show off the Mulsanne's impressive on-board entertainment and connectivity suite. For example, the car comes with twin electrically-deployed tables that boast a hidden iPad holder and dedicated space for Apple's wireless keyboard.

I fail to see the connection. Would a Red or a Black Magic camera and an Avid workstation not be able to show off the impressive onboard entertainment system?

• Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You need to take that hate and go shove it somewhere else.   Preferably behind a closed door, down in your momma's basement.

Anyone has a semi-clue knows that POST-editing is done on higher-end, specialized equipment.  The point of the article is that iOS devices on their own are handling more and more production-work, which is true.

Damn... I really wish these trolls' mommies would check the lock on the basement door more often. 

Funny response.  I love Apple and always have.  I was just pointing out that the post was not done in the back of the Bentley (even though they got some shots of the guys pretending to edit there).  But then again, maybe they did park a Bentley at the post house and run the cables out the back into the company's servers, working through the night and chopping out white lines on the Bentley's fold down tables.

• Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It immediately draws people's attention. The ad was even posted by AI. Free advertising.

Not so sure that is a good thing to be lumped together with the AI crew. There has got to be something else. We get some really high end luxury magazines in our office and honestly I have never seen a Bentley ad. They don't advertise much nor do they need to.

• Reply 29 of 74
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Irony: the video was shot and edited as H.264 on the iPhone and iPad, then uploaded to GoogleTube, where it was converted to Adobe "chronically out of date" Flash, so it can't be played on an iPhone or iPad.

EDIT: never mind. The link gave me a "You don't have Flash installed" error from the AppleInsider article page, but launches the YouTube player correctly from the forums page.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:

I fail to see the connection. Would a Red or a Black Magic camera and an Avid workstation not be able to show off the impressive onboard entertainment system?

The back of the Bentley is designed around an iPad, where the electric tables drop down and you have access to the iPad and Apple keyboard.

Those products that you mention are not integrated into any Bentley. Maybe they're trying to show that it's not just an entertainment system, but also a production system or work system.

• Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Irony: the video was shot and edited as H.264 on the iPhone and iPad, then uploaded to GoogleTube, where it was converted to Adobe "chronically out of date" Flash, so it can't be played on an iPhone or iPad.

I'm seeing HTML, where's the Flash?

• Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:

Those products that you mention are not integrated into any Bentley. Maybe they're trying to show that it's not just an entertainment system, but also a production system or work system.

Ok but it is a reach

• Reply 33 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Who cares why? Unless you're suggesting Apple paid them to do this ad?
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who cares why? Unless you're suggesting Apple paid them to do this ad?

I have no idea which is why I asked why? It makes no sense. If I was a professional videographer and Bentley called me up and asked if I was available to do a documentary and then said, "One requirement is that the entire project must be shot and edited on an iPhone and an iPad", you bet I would ask WHY?

• Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:

I would ask WHY?

If I were Bentley, I would reply that we wish to make a video showing how well the Bentley is integrated with iOS devices, and we wish to shoot it and edit it using those same devices.

• Reply 36 of 74
    Not so sure that is a good thing to be lumped together with the AI crew. There has got to be something else. We get some really high end luxury magazines in our office and honestly I have never seen a Bentley ad. They don't advertise much nor do they need to.
    True. Bentley rarely advertises yet even if this was made by Apple it puts Bentley out there. The Bentley crowd is changing. There are many hip(ish) billionaires out there.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Wow. So much angst in this thread.

Suffice it to say that I am very impressed (by the ad, not the angst).
  • Reply 38 of 74

In related news, and not to be outdone by Bentley and Apple, several Android manufacturers have banded together with a high profile maker of exclusive horse drawn transportation devices and have made their own video.

This unique transportation device features a fully blown Android entertainment system. There are no electric tables, but there is ample room on the floor to place your Android device, no matter what size it is.

• Reply 39 of 74
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Ah thanks I learned a new word today! Angst!
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Quote:

If I were Bentley, I would reply that we wish to make a video showing how well the Bentley is integrated with iOS devices, and we wish to shoot it and edit it using those same devices.

So when they produce their glossy brochures for the dealerships which highlight those same entertainment systems, do you think they use iPhoto and Pages, or perhaps an application that does CMYK and bleed, printer spreads, crops and spot uv, etc.