Apple, Samsung reignite patent lawsuit settlement talks - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Assuming there's any truth to the rumor why wouldn't you assume Tim Cook knows just what he's doing and is the better judge of what's right for Apple? That's been a common theme.

Exactly!

Something I was trying to get across on the Google-Apple agreement thread. If I may repost:
    I'd also like to add that IMHO, Tim Cook is the guy that everyone should be afraid of in tech and is far more dangerous than Steve Jobs ever was. Steve wore his heart and emotions on his sleeve as they say. Tim: what's behind those steely-blue eyes really? We're talking about a slow-talking Southern Gentleman on the outside and a what I think is a very sharp and keen strategist internally.

He's not the kind to stoop and play "Little ADS Boys Playing Business" games. He'll make his mistakes (Bowers), but he knows where he's taking Apple, how to do it, and he is going to surprise the "poop" out of the kids out there that think they can keep up with him.

Apple is NOT capitulating... even IF some of you on the surface think they are. Tim is embarking on are far more insidious and covert strategy. Samsung and Google won't know what hit 'em when the time comes... and yes, the anal-ists will be left scratching their heads and the Copy Cats won't have the slightest idea where to start copying, what to copy and/or why... :smokey:
  • Reply 22 of 49
    john.b wrote: »
    Why would Apple trust Samsung to hold up their end of the bargain?  Is there anything in the past several years that would indicate Samsung would follow through on any agreement that might be negotiated, or would they continue to copy features on a wholesale basis?

I doubt Apple expects them to. Samsung are convicted lying cheaters and criminals. I also don't expect Apple will be making any further strategic partnerships with them either for just those reasons.... and I would guess, they won't need to.

Apple has something "Cooking" in their labs that is going to be big... :smokey:
  • Reply 23 of 49
    I've said this before and it bears repeating. While Apple and Motorola/Google never gave us any details (leaving people to speculate), I don't think Apple would allow that this time. I'm convinced if they do settle that Apple will want to publish some details so people will know they "won". Something like:

"Apple today has announced a licensing agreement with Samsung where our patent portfolios will be cross licensed. Samsung will also agree to pay royalties to Apple and have signed a 'no-cloning' provision."

I don't think so. I don't think Apple needs them going forward for anything, let alone license their IP to Samsung... cross or not.
    This will make it clear that A) Samsung can't copy and B) Samsung is paying Apple. This would be seen as a win for Apple.
    Why not? Apple trusts Samsung Semiconductor to honor their contracts to supply processors and other components.

Something that Tim Cook and Team have been working on behind the scenes to alleviate their dependance upon for quite a while now if even the slightest rumors are true. I expect they've done a good job. TC appears to be rather optimistic at least that they have.. ?!
  • Reply 24 of 49
    The person taking the high ground in a conversation or war doesn't even acknowledge his adversaries existence... let alone consider their demands. At this point, the only mature thing to do is get up, walk away and leave them shaking their heads. [S]They[/S] Apple (edit for clarity) won... and will continue to win by playing their game. The other guys can go play with themselves...:D
  • Reply 25 of 49
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

I HATE TIM TO THE CORE IF HE DOES THIS.  

TIM, Please fu(king continue that fu(king thermo war on  that fu(kingSammy!  Please!

• Reply 26 of 49
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    john.b wrote: »
    Why would Apple trust Samsung to hold up their end of the bargain?  Is there anything in the past several years that would indicate Samsung would follow through on any agreement that might be negotiated, or would they continue to copy features on a wholesale basis?

I doubt Apple expects them to. Samsung are convicted lying cheaters and criminals. I also don't expect Apple will be making any further strategic partnerships with them either for just those reasons.... and I would guess, they won't need to.

Apple has something "Cooking" in their labs that is going to be big... :smokey:
    I fully expect further strategic partnerships as so far only Samsung can supply the quality and quantity of parts Apple needs.
    As for any cross licence/truce/agreement both sides will try and get what they want and both will spin any outcome as they have got what they want . unless of course they suprise everyone and have a joint statement.
    For Apple some of the victories in the US have meaning only in the US. Samsung are free to use some of those patents in the EU as they just aren't valid there.

It will be very interesting if they do actually sign a peace pact.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    After Samsung has been 'beating up' Apple and taking its lunch money, Apple says enough is enough and is in talks to make lunches for Samsung to avoid being beat up. Compromise is always the best way?

Apple should never give in to bullies and thieves no matter what the cost. Peace is only possible if there is true justice. Some things are worth fighting for. Ask anyone in the US. Oh yeah, the US was late into the Second World War and went home with their tail between their legs from Viet Nam and are giving up after they achieved nothing in Iraq. I guess Apple has a clear trail to follow.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I fully expect further strategic partnerships as so far only Samsung can supply the quality and quantity of parts Apple needs.

How would you know? I'm speculating as well, but the tech landscape is always changing. Who says Samsung has what Apple needs to be successful with their new devices?

This particular "rumor" states a detente between Apple and Samsung. Who's to say that Apple just wants to get back to doing what they do best: make leading tech products and integrated services.

Besides: Apple's Lawyer Team doesn't seam to be on the same level of expertise as the engineering teams. Last place in the Apple Softball (Surfing?) League I bet too... :smokey:
  • Reply 29 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Fixed the image.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

???? Tim. The less attention Samsung gets the better.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is this why Apple stock is up over 1% this morning when the rest of the market is pretty much flat?

You are literally the only person outside the Anti-Apple Brigade who thinks this is in any way a good idea.

• Reply 30 of 49
    I've said this before and it bears repeating. While Apple and Motorola/Google never gave us any details (leaving people to speculate), I don't think Apple would allow that this time. I'm convinced if they do settle that Apple will want to publish some details so people will know they "won". Something like:

"Apple today has announced a licensing agreement with Samsung where our patent portfolios will be cross licensed. Samsung will also agree to pay royalties to Apple and have signed a 'no-cloning' provision."

This will make it clear that A) Samsung can't copy and B) Samsung is paying Apple. This would be seen as a win for Apple.
    Why not? Apple trusts Samsung Semiconductor to honor their contracts to supply processors and other components.
    Wouldn't any settlement talks involve an NDA of some kind? I'd hate for it to happen because I'd love for Apple to get out in front on this but my guess would be Samsung would insist on an NDA.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

I don't see why people are getting so bent out of shape about this. It's silly.

If Samsung wants to pay Apple reasonable royalties (and Apple, likewise, with Samsung; although I am guessing it's mostly Samsung owing Apple), why the heck not?

Almost every one's better off. Except for the Cotes, Bromwichs, Kohs, and their ilk.

• Reply 32 of 49
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fixed the image.

You are literally the only person outside the Anti-Apple Brigade who thinks this is in any way a good idea.

It's a good idea because these lawsuits are an enormous waste of time and resources. Apple get terrible press ('innovate, don't litigate') and labelled a patent troll, while Samsung gets free marketing, a tiny fine and possibly an injunction that means they can't sell two-year-old phones any more. 

What Apple says: "Samsung has copied our products".

What uninformed people hear: "Samsung products are the same as iPhones".

• Reply 33 of 49
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member
    So as soon as this news breaks on all these websites Business Insider comes out with two hyperbolically negative Apple headlines about something totally unrelated. I wonder specifically whose interests they're abiding. Is it Wall Street firms with a vested interest in kneecapping apple's stock price? Or is it samsung with a vested interest in destroying any positive mojo apple's got going?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

.... Business Insider comes out with two hyperbolically negative Apple headlines ....

Only market illiterates care about Business Insider. It's a rag.

• Reply 35 of 49
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Perhaps Apple is about to release the new iPhone and other devices and is going to copy many Android features and so wanst to get an agreement in place so they won't get sued? and then take 90% of the market lol
  • Reply 36 of 49
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

.... Business Insider comes out with two hyperbolically negative Apple headlines ....

Business Insider/Apple Insider .. pretty much on one level. Entertainment value only, but quite a lot of that sometimes :-)

• Reply 37 of 49

Maybe Tim has simply understood that things have moved on. The real danger to Apple is neither Google, nor even Samsung, but the rising power of the Chinese, who will wipe the floor with Samsung and close Apple out of the world's most important market if things go badly.

Maybe Tim understands that it's a bad idea to fight a battle on more than one front. Hitler learned that the hard way.

And Maybe, just maybe, Tim understands that nobody wins and everybody loses in a senseless war.

• Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Business Insider/Apple Insider .. pretty much on one level. 

True, but AppleInsider doesn't purport to be much more than a rumor site.

The guys/gals at BI, on the other hand, take themselves very seriously and think they're doing business journalism, which is laughable!

• Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Business Insider/Apple Insider .. pretty much on one level. 

True, but AppleInsider doesn't purport to be much more than a rumor site.

The guys/gals at BI, on the other hand, take themselves very seriously and think they're doing business journalism, which is laughable!

Right ! I have to agree with you on both points.

• Reply 40 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

In addition, Business Insider CEO Henry Blodget was charged with fraud and banned from the securities industry in 2003. So... (twiddles thumbs)