Jobs' biographer says Apple-Beats deal could be future of Apple television

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Contacts my arse. Music is dying anyway. But if you think that when billion dollar boy walks into a record company who have previously rejected apple the managers will go " it's that guy from American Idol, let's just hand him our clients. Seriously ?

Why not buy the damn record companies.

I thought you said music was dying away?

• Reply 22 of 112
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member

My TV subscription is going to be billed to my AT&T Wireless account?

• Reply 23 of 112
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ireland wrote: »
    A sound engineer that convinced the record business to sign up with iTunes after seeing the iPod. The iPod which was the foundation for what Apple is today. Don't underestimate the power of the dealmakers — they make things happen.

Don't underestimate the power of people claiming any old bollocks as gospel. The Iovine made the record companies get onboard with iTunes is a newly invented myth.

Probably bollocks. Certainly a new story.
  • Reply 24 of 112
    Quote:

Don't underestimate the power of people claiming any old bollocks as gospel. The Iovine made the record companies get onboard with iTunes is a newly invented myth.

Probably bollocks. Certainly a new story.

Nice attitude.

• Reply 25 of 112
    I thought you said music was dying away?

If music mattered then spend billions on content by buying the companies rather than a sound engineer who might or might not know people who might or might not have access to content but have so far refused to hand it over because the Apple managers arent cool enough but may or may not hand over the Crown Jewels to this chancer Iovine who may or may not join Apple if Apple buys his headphone company.
  • Reply 26 of 112
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    If this whole Beats deal is fact and at that price, Apple just has to be seeing something here. They DO NOT over pay for anything.

If Lovine were to get a video content deal out of this, the 3 billion spent will amount to pure petty cash.
  • Reply 27 of 112
    asdasd wrote: »
    If music mattered...

But you said music is dying. What's with the if it that scenario?
  • Reply 28 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why do people keep asking Walter Isaacson as if he has a clue. He knows nothing, if we're to believe him it means Eddy Cue and Tim Cook can't get it done when it comes to content deals.
  • Reply 29 of 112
    But you said music is dying. What's with the if it that scenario?

Remedially?

If music mattered:
    Buy record companies.
    Not a headphone company on the forlorn hope the founder has contacts in said industry.

But.

Music doesn't matter so do neither.

If Apple want to kick start Apple TV they should look at NetFlix.
  • Reply 30 of 112
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    IF all this talk is true this may prove to be the dumbest decision by Apple ever.
    First to pay 3.2 b and second to appoint these guys with any kind of clout.
    I hardly ever criticise Apple but this - shakes head.
    Hope it all turns out to be bs.
  • Reply 31 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why do people keep asking Walter Isaacson as if he has a clue. He knows nothing, if we're to believe him it means Eddy Cue and Tim Cook can't get it done when it comes to content deals.

I don't get it either. I don't recall people asking the authors of the Benjamin Franklin or Frederick Douglass autobiographies for their advice after the subject of their works died. Just to be crystal clear, I am making a joke.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    Rather than trying to buy cool, Apple should just buy cool companies that will enhance their platforms. I'm not convinced Beats is cool enough to be worth $3B. Buy smaller companies and enhance stock iOS apps. Buy GoPro or other companies with amazing camera technology. Google didn't have to spend $3B to create a Spotify competitor. Why can't Apple do the same? I can't believe they have better negotiators than Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 112
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't get it either. I don't recall people asking the authors of the Benjamin Franklin or Frederick Douglass autobiographies for their advice after the subject of their works died. Just to be crystal clear, I am making a joke.

To me it's no different than asking John Sculley or Woz what Apple could/is going to do. Let's not forget that Woz suggested Apple build a phone running Android.
  • Reply 34 of 112
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Dr. Dre has been anything BUT silent. Bragging about being the first hip-hop billionaire. He seems like a very bad fit for Apple's corporate style. That sort of behavior would have killed a deal in Jobs' day.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Dr. Dre has been anything BUT silent. Bragging about being the first hip-hop billionaire.

I'm not a lawyer but I'd say that video offers zero evidence that Dre's comments are referring to an Apple buyout of Beats for $3.2 billion. I don't recall Apple or Beats were mentioned at all. Even if we could get a verifiable time on when that video was taken (not simply uploaded) there is no way to prove, based on the video alone, that his comments refer to either Apple buying Beats for $3.2 billion. On top of that even with the proposed buyout this site — which I've heard over-estimates the net worth of celebrities — has Dre at 4/5th of that billion dollar goal, although I suppose that Dre could use that pre-taxed value to say he was technically a billionaire even if for only a moment.
  • Reply 36 of 112
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Walt just gave Munster a Nerdgasm.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

It's about Apple and TV?  Meh… I said that over a week ago.

More directly; it's about Siri; and THEN Apple TV.

• Reply 38 of 112
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Jesus you people have drunk the Kool aid. Jobs - who cost apple $ 400m if you attribute no value to Next - was a triple successful entrepreneur when bought out by Apple. The company had previously founded. As a side project jobs created the most successful animation studio of its day. Jimmy Iovine is a sound engineer.

Contacts my arse. Music is dying anyway. But if you think that when billion dollar boy walks into a record company who have previously rejected apple the managers will go " it's that guy from American Idol, let's just hand him our clients. Seriously ?

Why not buy the damn record companies.

Iovine probably spent more time behind a console at a live concert than in the studio.  his album credentials aren't that extensive if you look at what he actually did.  Some of the albums he was only one of many engineers, assistant engineer or mostly producer (which doesn't mix anything) and many of the albums were only minor albums for the artist, a couple of big albums, and then a lot of compilations which are just repackaged old hits.  If you look at the top rated engineers, he's not even close to them in terms of recording major albums.

I think that ONLY thing Iovine has going for him is that he helped market Beats Headphones to the community of people that likes stylish headphones with artificial bass and his connections in the industry to help negotiate deals.  Plus, he seemed to be able to market himself through TV shows like American Idiol, which is where the people go to get attention because they are kind of on the downside of their careers and they're looking for a wider audience and getting face time in front of a lot of people.

Buying the record companies isn't a good idea because Apple doesn't know that industry and they would have to buy one or two of the big three and I don't think that's going to happen.  UMG, Sony and Warner are the three biggies.  I think UMG (if I'm not mistaken is the biggest of the three) and I don't think they are selling.  Sony is second as they bought BMG, and then there is Warner.  the record industry is a nightmare, especially nowadays.  

The whole digital download, rental business is a VERY low Net Profit business where no one is really making that much much.  Apple can absorb it because it's more of a convince to it's customers rather than relying on those profits.  Apple needs to cut costs and see if they can save overhead by doing what Akamai does for content delivery. If they can successfully do that, then they might actually see better profit margins from the iTunes sector.

• Reply 39 of 112
    Quote:

No man is worth billions.

If one man or the intellectual property he owns can make tens of billions for a company then yes, he is worth billions. You are worth whatever someone is willing to pay you. A hundred years ago, they said no man is worth millions. In a hundred years from now, some whiner will say no man is worth trillions.

• Reply 40 of 112
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    Quote:

No man is worth billions.

According to Forbes there are approximately 1500 of them 

http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/#tab:overall