Jobs' biographer says Apple-Beats deal could be future of Apple television

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    I think this deal (if real) has more to do with the iPod Touch and the low end phone market. A Beats branded iPod with a basic 3G phone feature sold for under $200 would be a strong Motorola E competitor and not cannibalize iPhone sales in the global markets or diminish the iPhone brand.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    I agree

Everything media will go under the Beats brand
    Absolutely no way will this happen.
    Headphones maybe.
  • Reply 43 of 112
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not a lawyer but I'd say that video offers zero evidence that Dre's comments are referring to an Apple buyout of Beats for $3.2 billion. I don't recall Apple or Beats were mentioned at all. Even if we could get a verifiable time on when that video was taken (not simply uploaded) there is no way to prove, based on the video alone, that his comments refer to either Apple buying Beats for $3.2 billion. On top of that even with the proposed buyout this site — which I've heard over-estimates the net worth of celebrities — has Dre at 4/5th of that billion dollar goal, although I suppose that Dre could use that pre-taxed value to say he was technically a billionaire even if for only a moment.

Hmm. Guess I failed to apply principles of logic to gossip. Silly me. Coming from the "If it walks like a duck . . ." school of thinking, you can see where I failed.
  • Reply 44 of 112
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    FYI, just for those interested in streaming music services, there's a service in Europe that's slated to hit the US sometime soon called WiMP Music. They supposed to have over 20 Million songs in their catalog and it's supposed to be lossless.

Here's a link to their website that talks about their service.

http://magazine.wimp.no/2013/09/wimp-hifi-lossless-music-streaming/
  • Reply 45 of 112
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    asdasd wrote: »
    As a side project jobs created the most successful animation studio of its day...
    Point of fact but Jobs didn't create Pixar.
  • Reply 46 of 112
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

We don't know that yet, and actually, no more is known about this rumored deal than was known about it when it was first written about.

Basically, nothing at all is known, and all we have are publicity hungry people making shit up and offering their worthless two cents.

I don't know what Beats has to do with TV.  They've made no announcements in that direction.  I'm sure they might have been working on maybe streaming TV since that's a logical progression, but they were having financial problems with the Beats Music division.

I think Issacson is out of his mind.  I don't think he really understood Apple.  What's funny is that a journalist knows less about Apple, even if they interview Jobs or Cook because they are paid to embellish the story to make it more interesting to the masses.  :-)

I have not found too many journalists in general to know what they are talking about. Most of them use dumb logic just to write a story.

• Reply 47 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why does Apple need to compete with the Moto E? I don't remember them competing with dirt cheap Wintel computers. Also Beats headphones are not cheap price wise so I'm not sure why we would expect Apple to use Beats to create a low end/down market brand.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    We don't know that yet, and actually, no more is known about this rumored deal than was known about it when it was first written about.

Basically, nothing at all is known, and all we have are publicity hungry people making shit up and offering their worthless two cents.
    The problem I have with Walter Isaacson is every time he speaks everybody reports on what he says as though it's fact or he's some insider when it comes to Apple. He's not. And the book he wrote about Steve was crap.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No man is worth billions.

When people are about to die of thirst  in the middle of a desert, how much would they pay a person with a case of ice cold Poland Spring?

It's not just the person but what the person has and/or can do.  Potential Energy.

What is a man with billions in the bank worth?

• Reply 50 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Absolutely no way will this happen.

Headphones maybe.

Beats will not remain as it is today.  It will become Apple.

Apple is about to become so BIG with medical devices, wearables, mobile payments, Television etc... Apple will need to be reorganized.

• Reply 51 of 112
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Point of fact but Jobs didn't create Pixar.

No, Jobs just saved Pixar from the grave, and gave it the resources (at great personal financial risk) and freedom to become the greatest animation studio.

• Reply 52 of 112
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Rather than trying to buy cool, Apple should just buy cool companies that will enhance their platforms. I'm not convinced Beats is cool enough to be worth $3B. Buy smaller companies and enhance stock iOS apps. Buy GoPro or other companies with amazing camera technology. Google didn't have to spend $3B to create a Spotify competitor. Why can't Apple do the same? I can't believe they have better negotiators than Apple.

I'm sorry, but what the hell is amazing about GoPro camera technology? What they have going for them is rugedness and marketing. There's absolutely nothing special about the optics, and certainly nothing that Apple could benefit from squeezing into an iPhone. Do you see Apple coming out with a separate, GoPro like product? Just because a company is successful that doesnt mean it makes sense for Apple to acquire them, especially if it doesnt fit within their existing product line or DNA. Compare to how many people take photos/videos on their iPhones, GoPro is insanely niche. I don't know a single person who owns one. 

• Reply 53 of 112
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The problem I have with Walter Isaacson is every time he speaks everybody reports on what he says as though it's fact or he's some insider when it comes to Apple. He's not. And the book he wrote about Steve was crap.

I believe you're in a tiny minority in your assessment of the Jobs biography, but Isaacson's insights, yes, they are crap.

• Reply 54 of 112
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Beats will not remain as it is today.  It will become Apple.

You wrote, "Everything media will go under the Beats brand".

It won't.

If Beats remains a brand name/company, Apple will not pass them stuff (except maybe headphones) and it will remain a separate entity.

iTunes, AppleTV, etc. will not be branded as Beats.

If they don't remain a separate brand/company, there will be no Beats brand.

• Reply 55 of 112
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The Apple TV. Phooey. Too much too little too late.

Sony has 4K full internet TVs
    Samsung now has their curved screen.
    Apple? Fugetaboutit.

Beats is turning into a pure Hollywood nightmare.
  • Reply 56 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The Apple TV. Phooey. Too much too little too late.

Sony has 4K full internet TVs

Samsung now has their curved screen.

Apple? Fugetaboutit.

Beats is turning into a pure Hollywood nightmare.

Your post is a nightmare for the braincells. 

• Reply 57 of 112
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Your post is a nightmare for the braincells. 

And your post is a blatantly blank as Jimmy Lovine's capped teeth.
  • Reply 58 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Swinson View Post

I think this deal (if real) has more to do with the iPod Touch and the low end phone market. A Beats branded iPod with a basic 3G phone feature sold for under $200 would be a strong Motorola E competitor and not cannibalize iPhone sales in the global markets or diminish the iPhone brand.

You HONESTLY believe Apple would sell hardware that is either co-branded or not even branded un their own name? Really now? What you just described sounds like junk, and absolutely nothing gives any indication Apple would be willing or interested in doing that. And yes, it definitely would affect their brand image. 

• Reply 59 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And your post is a blatantly blank as Jimmy Lovine's capped teeth.

Do you really need that shitty signature in every one of your posts? Is it supposed to be witty or clever? Or do you expect someone to answer that question? 

If you don't realize how idiotic your post of "Sony has a 4K TV and Samsung has a curved screen so Apple shouldnt bother anymore" was, then I don't know what to tell you. How many of those 4k TVs that cost an arm and a leg do you think are selling?

Either way, get rid of your useless sig. 

• Reply 60 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Dr. Dre has been anything BUT silent. Bragging about being the first hip-hop billionaire. He seems like a very bad fit for Apple's corporate style. That sort of behavior would have killed a deal in Jobs' day.

I guess you have not worked with big cheeses in BIG corporations.  The public appearance can be very different than what goes on inside.

It is very "cut throat".  They will curse you and then chew you up and spit you out for making mistakes.  They are also human so they use the F word in private like everybody else.  

Do you think Steve Jobs was a bad fit for Apple?  Wake up and smell the coffee.  Will you?