Google Glass found to cause eye pain in some new users

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Then you would appreciate this guy then, he is not doing anything illegal and actually he is just doing what thousands of camera around most cities and building do 24/7 but this guy invokes a reaction by just standing there.

https://www.facebook.com/SurveillanceCameraMan

and here is one of his videos

I'd never heard of that guy before, but that's really obnoxious, and hopefully somebody kicks the crap out of him soon. I know that I would.

• Reply 42 of 59
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Waiting for the first class action lawsuit to be filed for eye pain or damage. It WILL happen.

For starters, extended use of Google Glass will destroy your depth of field vision. What's that worth to you?
  • Reply 43 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

For starters, extended use of Google Glass will destroy your depth of field vision. What's that worth to you?

Not too much if you’re a shallow person.

Thank you… thank you…

• Reply 44 of 59
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Google Glass will destroy your sense of self respect much quicker.

• Reply 45 of 59
    appleemplappleempl Posts: 75member

weak

• Reply 46 of 59
    cmfilmscmfilms Posts: 20member

Probably from getting socked in the eye due to elevated levels of douchbaggery.

• Reply 47 of 59
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    It should come with a warning that you're gonna look like an idiot.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    It's a joke of a product. A solution in search of a problem.

Well, there's always the problem of impressing gadget-worshipping geeks and the tech media who are always looking to crown the "next Apple".
  • Reply 49 of 59
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    drblank wrote: »
    But the judge will dismiss the case and charge the Google Glass wearer for inciting the incident.

• Reply 50 of 59
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 444member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Amazing that even 3 years after its beta unveiling, Google Glass still looks EXACTLY the same- they havent been able to make it any smaller or more svelte. Still looks like a fucking abomination, still extremely limited, and now they quietly just released it to the market at the exact same $1,500 price. The Glass still has the same shitload of technology, privacy, social, and privacy issues since day 1. Nothing has been addressed.

Incredible how much positive press Google got over the glass, which almost single-handedly led the narrative of "Google innovates and Apple doesn't", and sparked tens of thousands of articles and blog posts the past couple years. Yet, its obvious Glass is and will be a complete market failure- Gogle isnt even bothering to advertise it in any capacity anymore. But thats fine, right? Google will get no flack over that- the important thing is the build up, the hype, all the evangelizers. This thing wont even make a blip in the market, when all is said and done. Its ok- now Google can move on to their next pie-in-the-sky product that tech blogs can salivate about in order to bash Apple, then promptly forget about.

Seriously, I agree with you. What the hell is wrong with the popular tech media. Google can do no wrong. The slightest thing Apple does that doesn't pan out with so called analyst it is effing doom. But I guess getting headaches from using the damn things is way less of an issue than getting dizzy from looking at your iPhone's parallax feature. I haven't worn glass but it seems to reason that for most of us having to look up and focus on data coming at you with one eye would be quite tedious on anyone's ocular muscles. Feel free to correct me anyone who has worn glass. Just saying.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,276member

Wasn't there talk that Apple had worked on something like this before it deemed it useless? Or am I confusing that with something else?

I think Apple worked on that and the person who tested it was Scott Forstall. That explains that wonky look in his eyes...

I actually feel bad taking a pot-shot at Scott, but not so bad that I don't take the pot-shot.

• Reply 52 of 59
    Google likened it to the adjustment period that many people experience with a new pair of prescription eyeglasses and said that the eyewear was "designed for micro-interactions, not for staring into the screen, watching Friday night movie marathons or reading 'War and Peace.'" I guess Google doesn't know human beings well enough. Better hire some psychologists guys cause this is exactly what people will do. Stare at the damn screen and use it to read their Kindle books. So better get out your disclaimers Google just in case of the stray lawsuit that may come your way.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    gilly33 wrote: »
    Google likened it to the adjustment period that many people experience with a new pair of prescription eyeglasses and said that the eyewear was "designed for micro-interactions, not for staring into the screen, watching Friday night movie marathons or reading 'War and Peace.'" I guess Google doesn't know human beings well enough. Better hire some psychologists guys cause this is exactly what people will do. Stare at the damn screen and use it to read their Kindle books. So better get out your disclaimers Google just in case of the stray lawsuit that may come your way.

Apologies about not quoting sources correctly. My bad.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'd never heard of that guy before, but that's really obnoxious, and hopefully somebody kicks the crap out of him soon. I know that I would.

It can be seen as an artistic act.
    It can be seen as whistleblowing.
    It is, in my opinion, not "obnoxious".

Also, your agressivity towards this person (yes, he IS a fellow human) is frightening. He does not deserve such ill thoughts (keep those for Samsung). Then again aren't you pro-gun?
  • Reply 55 of 59
    thviidthviid Posts: 3member

This thing is never going to sell due to two Things:

1. The human barrier of I'm-not-wearing-glasses people to begin wearing glasses - beside sunglasses.

2. I'm-wearing-glass people to Wear Google glass, making them look like geeks

Nothing wrong in looking like a geek, except for people who is not

• Reply 56 of 59

I feel like wishing someone to get "the crap beat out of him" is a little overboard, no?

Whether or not you like a product, I wouldn't wish someone to be hurt over anything.

• Reply 57 of 59
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    The guy in the photo is calmly searching the web with Google Glass for instructions on how to reattach the finger he cut off while searching the web with Google Glass%u2026 Ooops, there goes another one!
  • Reply 58 of 59
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What's teling is that Google employees/execs are not wearing them in public or during presentations anymore. Why? They did so for a couple years, just to show us how "normal" it was, as if we'd stop noticing the massive bulge in front of their faces. But now, the've stopped because even they are too embarrassed so do so. It's ok though, half of Google+ profile pics are taken with this abomination on their faces. The great thing about how Google does shit shit is it allows them to slowly draw down and back away from the product, without much financial damage. Imagine if they actually had real conviction in this thing- set a real launch date, and manufactured millions to hit that launch date, even before anyone has touched the product- as Apple does. Because they actually, truly believe in what they sell. Google? They need to do a market test and a massive online campaign before they even decide if its worth launching. 

Google is a company that seems to be run by extremely smart, social misfits with very very short attention spans.  Compare that with Facebook which seems to be run by extremely smart sociopaths who have zero ability to distinguish right from wrong.  Either way, both companies pose a danger to society.

• Reply 59 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    IMHO Google has fumbled away the best opportunity for Glass to be successful. By being so open with the beta development and keeping it public for way too long they've allowed fear-mongers a huge window to fine-tune arguments against it. They would have been better off keeping it in in-house, working with a few dozen developers under NDA and using only a very short open beta period before just putting them on the market for consumer purchase. Use what they learned from buyer feedback to make improvements for version 2, much the same as many other companies do with a new and innovative product.

In my view they've pretty much blown this particular opportunity.