Bounden delays iOS to Android port after finding many Google phones' gyroscopes don't work

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Can we possibly get passed folks like you rewriting history.  Steve Jobs did not "rip off" Xerox in any which way, shape or form.  He got a license, free-and-clear, from Xerox to do whatever they want, and Xerox got a bunch of Apple stock from it.  Stop having a hissy-fit because the truth is not the way you want it to be.

I'll give Blackberry, Microsoft, (former)Palm much more respect in helping push forward mobile tech along with Apple because at least they tried developing their own OS from the ground up.

That must explain why Xerox tried to sue Apple for doing that very thing.  Thank you very much though for your deep intellectual insight.  It truly is amazing that someone can become so jaded as to not see the contributions particular companies have made to technology. I currently do not use Apple products but I did in the past.  I think they make great products and help drive innovation.  Nevertheless, every time I try to use an iPhone I am completely underwhelmed by the software.  Obviously when you use an Android device you are underwhelmed by the software.  However, somehow there is a disconnect in your brain where you can not appreciate that people like different things.  Just because you do not like it does not make it crap.  When you start hating things solely because of the name of the company that is on them then you have issues.  Perhaps one day you will realize that there are companies outside of Apple who have really smart people who are also doing amazing things.

• Reply 82 of 105
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMember View Post

I want it to buy iPhone 5 but you know..and iPhone 5s is really expensive were i live 16GB 700 Euro.. so i have to go with iPhone 4s. it's good phone is more powerfull than Samsung S3 despite of benchmarks results, way better camera, and offcourse the design. even HTC One or Moto X owners got it admit the iPhone 4 looks better 

Cool. Don't let anyone fault you for being thrifty, as it will serve you well forever. 4S is still an incredible device.

I race the same bicycles for 5-7 years before replacing them, even with 8 year old power meters on them (that I bought used!). I wanted a new camera for sports shooting and bought a 2-generations-old 1D Mark iii for a song. The stuff (bikes and camera) all perform wonderfully. Living behind a bit behind the bleeding edge of technology makes it much easier to have our house paid off, oodles of college savings for the kids, and to pay cash for luxury cars. I still get to race bikes that have been in the Tour, and to shoot with a camera body/lenses that have shot the Tour :)

• Reply 83 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Cool. Don't let anyone fault you for being thrifty, as it will serve you well forever. 4S is still an incredible device.

I race the same bicycles for 5-7 years before replacing them, even with 8 year old power meters on them (that I bought used!). I wanted a new camera for sports shooting and bought a 2-generations-old 1D Mark iii for a song. The stuff (bikes and camera) all perform wonderfully. Living behind a bit behind the bleeding edge of technology makes it much easier to have our house paid off, family trips abroad, oodles of college savings for the kids, and to pay cash for luxury cars. I still get to race bikes that have been in the Tour, and to shoot with a camera body/lenses that have shot the Tour :)

• Reply 84 of 105
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    elroth wrote: »
    And less-than-3rd-grade reading skills lead to stupid comments.

In the 3rd paragraph:  "However, as noted by Daring Fireball,..."

. . . only added after nht's comment (see page 2 of the comments for all the cache-y goodness).

another ded/appleinsider practice: updating the original sloppy article without letting anyone know.
  • Reply 85 of 105
    hey, ded, nest is recalling a lot of their products. hurry ... a new story: http://www.sfgate.com/business/technology/article/Nest-recalling-440K-smoke-alarms-for-safety-risk-5495550.php
  • Reply 86 of 105
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

big difference.

i'm not providing content for this site and then posting anonymous comments to it.

ded is.

bfd.  everyone knows who DED's aliases are.  Who cares.   John Kirk writes articles for Techpinions and posts under an assumed name.  He also posts on PED's Fortune page Apple 2.0 under Falkirk.  Again who cares.  Everyone knows who he is and it isn't like DED is denying who he is when he posts under corrections.

• Reply 87 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sltiedeman wrote: »
    Can we possibly get passed the ripped off IP diatribe? Steve Jobs famously ripped off Xerox IP but who cares? Everyone is ripping off everyone. Is it blind luck Iphones have a drop down notification panel just like Android had for years. If future IPads run simultaneous apps side by side will you be up in arms at Samsung? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Both sides pick what is best to copy and in other areas make their own attempts at meaningful innovation. I hope this cycle continues. We get the best of everything. All of that being said, I am not naive. I am fully aware Android would be far different were it not for the Iphone's revolutionary design. But we would be remiss to not acknowledge that current IPhones would not be as great as they are were it not for Android.

Your ignorance of the history of computing is astounding.
  • Reply 88 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sltiedeman View Post

Can we possibly get passed the ripped off IP diatribe? 

Only once people start comprehending it.

Steve Jobs famously ripped off Xerox IP but who cares?

You don’t care enough to know the truth, at least.

Everyone is ripping off everyone.

“Everyone does it, therefore it is okay.” What a system of morality (heck, what a legal code!) that is. I guess you’d be 100% fine with legalized murder if enough people did it.

Is it blind luck Iphones have a drop down notification panel just like Android had for years.

No, because Apple designed that a decade before Android existed.

If future IPads run simultaneous apps side by side will you be up in arms at Samsung?

No, because Apple had that decades before Samsung knew what a computer was.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But neither of these sayings has anything to do with anything, nor are they foundations for law or society.

…current IPhones would not be as great as they are were it not for Android.

That can’t really be said. You’re basically trying to say, “Your insurance wouldn’t have paid for you to get a new flat screen TV if I hadn’t stolen your CRT!” I’m not sure how that, even if valid, would help you in any way.

• Reply 89 of 105
    mechanic wrote: »
    bfd.  everyone knows who DED's aliases are.  Who cares.   John Kirk writes articles for Techpinions and posts under an assumed name.  He also posts on PED's Fortune page Apple 2.0 under Falkirk.  Again who cares.  Everyone knows who he is and it isn't like DED is denying who he is when he posts under corrections.

everyone? who is "everyone"? i didn't know until today and i've been here more than a couple minutes. what other aliases does he use? want to be treated like a professional? act like one, for starters.
  • Reply 90 of 105
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member

Wow! so lots of Android kit has faulty or even fake gyroscopes!!! Aren't there legal implications of this, at the very least? in UK  we have laws against faking goods. I think that this matter should be investigated. What phone makers use Android - hmmmmmm!

• Reply 91 of 105
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

really? that's your response? you steal content from others, pass it off as your own, post comments to those articles anonymously, and then you complain when someone calls you on it? sounds about right. welcome to ai, folks.

Corrections made a correction, the name seems somehow apt.

So WTF are you whining about?

• Reply 92 of 105
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

Wow! so lots of Android kit has faulty or even fake gyroscopes!!! Aren't there legal implications of this, at the very least? in UK  we have laws against faking goods. I think that this matter should be investigated. What phone makers use Android - hmmmmmm!

If you can't innovate, emulate.

• Reply 93 of 105
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member

I don't think that 'emulation' has any legal validity either in the UK or the USA unless abiding by the copyright or licensing laws. Also, there may be a case to be made against a manufacturer or supplier if the product doesn't do what it says 'on the tin'.

• Reply 94 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Your ignorance of the history of computing is astounding.

And yet in all your wisdom you could offer no proof of that.  In actuality your ignorance of the history of computing is astounding.  See how easy that is to do?

• Reply 95 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Only once people start comprehending it.

You don’t care enough to know the truth, at least.

“Everyone does it, therefore it is okay.” What a system of morality (heck, what a legal code!) that is. I guess you’d be 100% fine with legalized murder if enough people did it.

No, because Apple designed that a decade before Android existed.

No, because Apple had that decades before Samsung knew what a computer was.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But neither of these sayings has anything to do with anything, nor are they foundations for law or society.

That can’t really be said. You’re basically trying to say, “Your insurance wouldn’t have paid for you to get a new flat screen TV if I hadn’t stolen your CRT!” I’m not sure how that, even if valid, would help you in any way.

There is not enough time in the day to address the entire stupidity of your post but I will focus on a few areas.  First, trying to compare the morality of copying ideas in technology to legalizing murder if enough people did it is an absolutely ludicrous.  If technology did not build on the ideas of others then we would still be using flip phones.  Even with your Apple shaded glasses on, you have to at least admit Steve Jobs was inspired by what he saw at Xerox Parc.  Call it theft or whatever you want to call it, but it changed his course of action and thankfully it did.  Companies constantly take the best ideas of others and build on them.  It happens in every single industry.  Computers and cell phones are in no way unique to that.  Just look at the auto industry.  It happens all time and you don't see the constant bitching and moaning about it.  That being said, it is quite clear you have some measure of delusion since you can't even admit that Apple took the drop down notification shade from Android.  Apple never had such a thing in a touch screen device ten years prior as you try to claim.  And although Apple has had the obvious ability to allow multiple windows on their computers, it had never been done on a tablet or phone before.  Samsung was first at that.  The fact you can't even admit that Android has inspired Apple to be even better (and it works both ways....Apple inspires Android) than what they would have been is mind blowing.  I am sure it is sheer coincidence that Apple is releasing a larger screen iPhone in spite of previously saying a 3.5" device was the perfect device.  If the resolution goes beyond 326ppi will you think that is coincidental as well?  After all, there is no benefit to the eye beyond that.  You should try to spend one day of your life looking at the products of other companies and realize there are companies outside of Apple that are also doing amazing things.  There is nothing wrong with being a huge Apple fan.  But trying to act as though they are somehow superior to everyone else in existence is just ridiculous.

• Reply 96 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sltiedeman wrote: »
    And yet in all your wisdom you could offer no proof of that.  In actuality your ignorance of the history of computing is astounding.  See how easy that is to do?

No proof? Seriously? Dude, this has been debated for years. Xerox got Apple stock in exchange for Apple to have access. Apple didn't steal anything.
  • Reply 97 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No proof? Seriously? Dude, this has been debated for years. Xerox got Apple stock in exchange for Apple to have access. Apple didn't steal anything.

Sigh.  I am not at all denying the stock exchange for access.  I am well aware of that.  Obviously Xerox felt Jobs went above and beyond their agreement because they would later sue Apple.  Granted, they would end up losing.  Xerox was dumb.  They did not fully realize the value of what they had created and that is their loss.  The ultimate point however is that Jobs and thereby Apple saw another product that was in some ways superior to what they were creating.  It inspired them to do better, to pick and choose pieces to implement in their software.  What blows my mind is that so many people on here do not feel Apple is inspired by the work of other companies when making their products, as if they are in a bubble and take no notice of their competition.  All companies do this.  Apple was certainly the first to create a touchscreen phone that became popular.  But lets not pretend they invented the concept.  They just made it far, far better than what other people imagined at the time.  Naturally others would see this and build from it.  If they didn't, then we would only be left with one smartphone company in the world which would not be good for anyone.  To a smaller degree Apple has seen the efforts of their competition and they too are influenced in the software and design of their phones.  This is good for everyone.   

• Reply 98 of 105
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

What Android phones from 2010 run KitKat, like Apple's iPhone 4 runs iOS 7?

4.4 works fine on a Droid Incredible, and doesn't slow it down like iOS 7 on an iPhone 4. You can do your own search for other 2010 phones that run it.

I am not claiming KitKat through ROMs to be a mainstream solution, but the claim above was that Android is engineered to make older phones obsolete and that iOS wasn't. I have presented evidence to the contrary. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

iOS 7 didn't cripple my older device; but it did make it better. So I guess that makes you FOS.

I have several friends who now hate their iPhone 4 b/c of iOS 7. My wife took the high road and kept 6 on there until the 5s upgrade, which is a wonderful device.

Who cares what you're little friends "hate"? You said "crippled". Get you're story straight.

(I know, I know; Who am I to make such a request from a hyperbolic troll)

• Reply 99 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Who cares what you're little friends "hate"? You said "crippled". Get you're story straight.

(I know, I know; Who am I to make such a request from a hyperbolic troll)

What part of hating a phone that has been crippled is inconsistent?

• Reply 100 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What part of hating a phone that has been crippled is inconsistent?

The part where it’s not crippled. Everyone knows your rhetoric already. Go find some other website to crap on.