Apple scuttlebutt spurs Samsung to seek sapphire solutions for smartphones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member

IMHO, the sapphire screen won't be going on a larger iPhone for the foreseeable future - just too expensive. Thus, people will have to make a choice: Bigger screen, or sapphire. I'd also be willing to bet that the larger iPhone will sport a metal-reinforced plastic back a la iPhone 5C. That will help hold down the cost.

So high-end aluminum-cased iPhone with smaller sapphire screen or larger plastic-cased iPhone with tempered glass: Which would you choose? Me, I like the size of my 5, so I'll be going with the high-end version. With that and my iPad, I'm set.

• Reply 42 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

LOL, this is what it is always like on Apple forums. Patting each other on the back. It's like a cult. 

"It's like a cult." 

Jeez. Can't you be original? 

• Reply 43 of 124
    jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

"It's like a cult." 

Yes. Thats what kept me out of the Apple cult. 

• Reply 44 of 124
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

AHAHAH let me laugh, troll.

Learn, instead of using old images that are just wrong and simply show how ignorant of other OSes you are :

Apparently Fandroids forgets that Android not only copies iOS but also Jailbroken iOS and OS X

• Reply 45 of 124
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

ORLY? What percentage of Apple apps are currently making use of that 64-bit processor?

http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/paid

Those Apps

• Reply 46 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/paid

Those Apps

How did you determine they require a 64-bit processor or are even made better by it at all?

• Reply 47 of 124
    davendaven Posts: 696member

Apple - Elegant interface.

Samsung - Management to engineers... "Copy Apple more closely." Samsung attorneys to jurors "Rectangles with rounded corners!"

Apple - iPhone 5s elegant fingerprint solution. Fixed bugs within months. Press, hold lightly, unlocked!

Samsung - Galaxy fingerprint swipe... swipe again... try again... one last time.... Oh go and enter your passcode. We too have fingerprint unlocking!!!!

Apple - Sapphire everywhere we can use it. 

Samsung - We are moving from Gorilla glass to plastic because our customers demand it.

What next????

• Reply 48 of 124
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The worse customers with lousy budget did to buy cheap crappy android smartphone. I love expensive iPhones because the iPhones are work better for me. Who care about shitty crappy android smartphones.
  • Reply 49 of 124

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

LOL, this is what it is always like on Apple forums. Patting each other on the back. It's like a cult. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

"It's like a cult." 

Quote:

Yes. Thats what kept me out of the Apple cult. 

No. That's what kept you following the anti-Apple cult.

• Reply 50 of 124
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

The worse customers with lousy budget did to buy cheap crappy android smartphone. I love expensive iPhones because the iPhones are work better for me. Who care about shitty crappy android smartphones.

They are expensive, so that must mean they are good. What other possible conclusion could be reasonable?

• Reply 51 of 124
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    jeffdenver wrote: »
    ORLY? What percentage of Apple apps are currently making use of that 64-bit processor?

It's sure not helping with app loading speed. This cheap Android phone can already beat it. 

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cZ6wskPyKhA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

and 

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oI8snnLpEDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

That's a strawman. I didn't say it was faster than his phone. I just said it worked well with the processor, contrary to what you said.

You didn't answer about that image. Apparently you never heard of WebOS and didn't know that quick toggles came on Cydia before. And you call us a cult? Get better information.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member

We need to figure out a way to harness Samsung's enthusiasm for copying whatever Apple does and use it for some greater good.

Maybe we could convince Samsung that Apple is building an economical fusion reactor and this would inspire Samsung to figure out how to actually do that. Or asteroid mining robots. Or an interstellar space cruiser. 

• Reply 53 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Apple - Elegant interface.

Samsung - Management to engineers... "Copy Apple more closely." Samsung attorneys to jurors "Rectangles with rounded corners!"

Apple - iPhone 5s elegant fingerprint solution. Fixed bugs within months. Press, hold lightly, unlocked!

Samsung - Galaxy fingerprint swipe... swipe again... try again... one last time.... Oh go and enter your passcode. We too have fingerprint unlocking!!!!

Apple - Sapphire everywhere we can use it. 

Samsung - We are moving from Gorilla glass to plastic because our customers demand it.

What next????

Apple's current interface was in no way copying Windows Phone or Android. 

"Apple Is Going To Copy Microsoft Design Cues For The Next Big iPhone Update, According To Report" - http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-iphone-software-could-flatten-like-microsoft-2013-4

"Android has seen a major push toward the flat design with the Ice Cream Sandwich release on October 17, 2011." - http://www.forbes.com/sites/allbusiness/2013/09/09/apple-is-embracing-the-flat-design-trend-are-you/

• Reply 54 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

That's a strawman. I didn't say it was faster than his phone.

So it is not a faster phone. Even though it is twice as expensive?

Quote:

You didn't answer about that image. Apparently you never heard of WebOS and didn't know that quick toggles came on Cydia before.

So you are saying Apple copied from WebOS?

• Reply 55 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It's sure not helping with app loading speed. This cheap Android phone can already beat it. 

Would you SHUT UP about app loading.

• Reply 56 of 124
    I feel like there are not enough s-words in the title of this article.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    genovelle wrote: »
    So you want Apple's competitors to be as good as Apple at being Apple, so you can buy products from them? Sounds logical. I think Apple should have classes to help them. /s

I want Apple's competitors to be better at building good products so there are as good (or even better) than Apple is today which will push the state of the art harder and faster.

My only concern is having the best possible kit for my specific needs every single day of my life. I care not whose brand is even though that has been Apple for all of the 21st century. If that continues to be Apple then great, if it's someone else, that's fine, too.

IOW, my loyalty to Apple begins and ends with them serving me the best product just as their loyalty to me begins and ends with my interest in wanting their products. It's only concern.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Hilarious considering we were just now talking about spec overkill. 1080p displays are not necessary...but 64-bit processors that don't do anything are vital, and worth advertising. Ok. 

Yeah, kind of like that octo-core chip Samsung throws around. And benchmark cheating. Doesn't serve a vital purpose, but boy do the Fandroids lap that shit up.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Would you SHUT UP about app loading.

He's NOT SURE. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt always trump facts. /s
  • Reply 60 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

[pointless video]

and 

[another pointless video]

Clearly you don't understand what the processor does. Perhaps you might want to read up on the benefits of the new ISA in ARM64, especially how that specifically benefits apps written in Obj-C.

If you actually do that, which Is doubtful, you can then read up on how even a 64-bit version of Android won't have the same benefits because the inherent issues with the Java virtual machine. Android OS and apps will certainly get benefits from the new ISA (eventually) but not to the same degree or ease.