Apple's Beats acquisition reportedly delayed over Dre and Iovine roles, valuation, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 217
    jchanjchan Posts: 4member
    Quote:

I bought one of the first Apple 1 computers back in 1979. The price was $666.66. It didn't stop me from buying it, but I did pray over it before I used it.

Oh you are so going to hell

• Reply 22 of 217
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Yawn...

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I get it. The deal is off because Dr. Dre lied on his resume.

Dr. Dre has a resume?

• Reply 23 of 217
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

Maybe Apple would just buy Rido or Spotify instead

If you understood Beats history with Apple, you would understand why they are buying Beats.

• Reply 24 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    From the Billboard story:

[QUOTE]People often forget that despite Apple being this company that makes sexy products, with sexy profit margins, and sexy retail outlets… it is not in fact a very sexy company. It is a conservative company, particularly without the leadership of its guiding light Steve Jobs who would shake things up massively on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]

WTF?!?

[QUOTE]One thing’s for sure: Apple is suffering a crisis of confidence right now and they could do with a pair who help them to “Think Different”.[/QUOTE]

The only crisis in confidence Apple would be suffering is if they purchased Beats thinking they needed Iovine and Dre to help them "Think Different". :rolleyes:
  • Reply 25 of 217
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AICow View Post

And, I can't even see how Beats (Dr.Dre and Iovine) which is completely form without function would fit in Apple, who is all about a zen between form and function (Jony Ive).

FWIW (and I hate their headphones as much as the next guy), they will certainly not be hired as designers. If there is one thing I am 100% sure of, it's this.

Both, Jobs and Cook, have always talked about Apple sitting at the intersection of technology and liberal arts. And while they are no way doomed, and the winner in e.g. the race for streaming services has not been found (while they are growing fast, they are still at a very low level)... it is quite obvious that there are growing segments, right at their own intersection, where they have started to lose touch (or at least that is what it looks like). They are all members of the older generation and none of them (except for Ive) can even remotely be considered an artist. From this angle, bringing people in who understand the market, the artists and the audience can make some sense. (If it really requires $3.2 bn to make this happen is another question. Seems over the top to me, but what do I know.)

• Reply 26 of 217
    Quote:

I doubt Apple wants to work with someone that doesn't take Apple's culture seriously (especially its secrecy). And, I can't even see how Beats (Dr.Dre and Iovine) which is completely form without function would fit in Apple, who is all about a zen between form and function (Jony Ive).

You are only seeing once side of Apple.

There is a side where the Beats founders friendship with Steve Jobs contributed to iTunes' success.

There is a not so pretty side that makes cutthroat deals using shell companies with labels and media content owners that many choose not to see.

Think of how corporations work, you can't be as big and successful as Apple and be all pretty.  Some people have to do the dirty work.

Remember, Beats is a very successful company in its own rights without Apple.

• Reply 27 of 217
    If you understood Beats history with Apple, you would understand why they are buying Beats.
    What history does Beats (not Iovine) have with Apple other than their products are sold in Apple stores?
  • Reply 28 of 217
    aicowaicow Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

FWIW (and I hate their headphones as much as the next guy), they will certainly not be hired as designers. If there is one thing I am 100% sure of, it's this.

Both, Jobs and Cook, have always talked about Apple sitting at the intersection of technology and liberal arts. And while they are no way doomed, and the winner in e.g. the race for streaming services has not been found (while they are growing fast, they are still at a very low level)... it is quite obvious that there are growing segments, right at their own intersection, where they have started to lose touch (or at least that is what it looks like). They are all members of the older generation and none of them (except for Ive) can even remotely be considered an artist. From this angle, bringing people in who understand the market, the artists and the audience can make some sense. (If it really requires $3.2 bn to make this happen is another question. Seems over the top to me, but what do I know.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

You are only seeing once side of Apple.

There is a side where the Beats founders friendship with Steve Jobs contributed to iTunes' success.

There is a not so pretty side that makes cutthroat deals using shell companies with labels and media content owners that many choose not to see.

Think of how corporations work, you can't be as big and successful as Apple and be all pretty.  Some people have to do the dirty work.

Why not just pay up a bit more for the content from music providers. It pays about 3B in licensing fees anyway (http://investorplace.com/2013/02/wednesday-apple-rumors-itunes-music-revenue-up-10-in-2012/#.U3_-Cl5WIvc 2012).

Anyway, Dr. Dre and Iovine probably got better deal with content providers because they are small and no competition...

A buyout from Apple voids all previous deals for iTunes.

• Reply 29 of 217
    dreyfus2 wrote: »

I'm not aware of anyone in Google's upper ranks being artists but they were able to create a decent Spotify competitor without having to acqui-hire celebrities to do it. Personally I don't see what the big deal is about music. Yeah I think Apple needs to be competitive in streaming music but I don't think it's their #1 issue.
  • Reply 30 of 217
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    rogifan wrote: »
    From the Billboard story:
    WTF?!?
    The only crisis in confidence Apple would be suffering is if they purchased Beats thinking they needed Iovine and Dre to help them "Think Different". :rolleyes:

Just goes to show that Billboard should stick to covering music and not tech.
  • Reply 31 of 217
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Apple is buying Beats?

• Reply 32 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What history does Beats (not Iovine) have with Apple other than their products are sold in Apple stores?

These guys have been friends with Apple leaders for years and they have been building what they advised Apple to build and Apple chose not to.

Now Apple realizes that some of these ideas were not all bad.

Do you think Steve Jobs just pull anyone off of the street to include in his public presentations?

I know that some people here can't understand this but you need friends from all walks of life and backgrounds in order to succeed sometimes.

Life is not just about pushing pretty iOS buttons to hear sweet music there is a lot more behind that button that you don't see.

Steve Jobs understood that and I think Tim Cook understands that.  Other Apple CEOs may have have understood that very well.

• Reply 33 of 217
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Apple's Board must be balking.

• Reply 34 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The Beats store lied directly across the street from the Apple store when Apple NY Soho moved into a temporary location 2 years ago during the remodel of Station A.

• Reply 35 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Get this, Dr Dre isn't a real doctor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I get it. The deal is off because Dr. Dre lied on his resume.

Didn't Dr. Dre invent Dred locks?

• Reply 36 of 217
    These guys have been friends with Apple leaders for years and they have been building what they advised Apple to build and Apple chose not to.
    Do you think Steve Jobs just pull anyone off of the street to include in his public presentations?
    I know that some people here can't understand this but you need friends from all walks of life and backgrounds in order to succeed sometimes.
    Life is not just about pushing pretty iOS buttons to hear sweet music there is a lot more behind that button that you don't see.
    Steve Jobs understood that and I think Tim Cook understands that.  Other Apple CEOs may have have understood that very well.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4VVarJu4SWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Steve Jobs did a public presentation with Madonna as well. In fact I remember a special edition Madonna iPod. Maybe Apple should hire her too?
  • Reply 37 of 217
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Apple's Board must be balking.
    Please let it be so!
  • Reply 38 of 217
    aicowaicow Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Nest had a history with Apple, and Tim Cook hinted that it was expensive.

• Reply 39 of 217
    Quote:

Quote:

Why not just pay up a bit more for the content from music providers. It pays about 3B in licensing fees anyway (http://investorplace.com/2013/02/wednesday-apple-rumors-itunes-music-revenue-up-10-in-2012/#.U3_-Cl5WIvc 2012).

Anyway, Dr. Dre and Iovine probably got better deal with content providers because they are small and no competition...

A buyout from Apple voids all previous deals for iTunes.

You see, this is what you don't understand, money cannot buy everything.

Ask yourself, if Spotify and other online music would exist at all today if iTunes did not exist first?

Then ask yourself if iTunes would have existed if it wasn't for Iovine for example.

Seriously think about where Jobs, Iovine, and Dr. Dre came from and then try to understand how they each are very successful people in their own rights.

• Reply 40 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

Steps to an Apple rumor:

1: report rumor as fact

2: insist rumor is fact

3: call anyone who defends sanity a fanboy

4: when rumor doesn't come to pass, create new rumor explaining the delay

5: insist rumor is fact...

See my signature.