Apple buys Beats Electronics for $3 billion, Iovine and Dr. Dre to join company

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 217
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And HP is allowed to sell products with Beats audio into 2015:

http://************/2014/05/28/hp-planning-aggressive-line-up-of-new-beats-audio-products-through-2015-as-beats-design-firm-replaced-by-apple/

Replace *********** with 9to5mac . com

AI is *still* doing that? The people in charge of that really must be juvenile.
  • Reply 202 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

AI is *still* doing that? The people in charge of that really must be juvenile.

I think it might be Huddler doing it. I vaguely remember something about Huddler and 9to5’s back-end software being in competition.

Because MacRumors.com, cultofmac.com, macworld.com, etc. aren’t blocked.

And 9to5Mac isn’t blocked, just ************.

• Reply 203 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Remember Dr. Blank's posts where he was convinced that rap music isn't "real" music and then called Dr. Dre a thug as proof that it's not. I don't see how making that leap is anything other than racism.
    Hey I absolutely loathe country music. Does that make me an anti-white, anti-southern racist?
  • Reply 204 of 217
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Oh, I don't know... Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps he just doesn't like rap. I used to listen to rap in the 80s and 90s but I generally avoid it now. That doesn't make me a racist. My tastes have changed.

Hey I absolutely loathe country music. Does that make me an anti-white, anti-southern racist?

Read his posts. It's filled with subtle racism.
  • Reply 205 of 217
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    bighype wrote: »
    Tim Cook confirmed for one of the worst CEOs in Apple's history. He will go down like Ballmer. It won't be long before he starts throwing chairs around as their competitors start eating into their revenue more and more.

He bought two people for $3 billion dollars? What a complete tool!

Nice trolling.

It's a very profitable business that they're buying. I don't like Beats, but at least I can acknowledge that "minor" detail. You're not proving to be anything better than a hater.
  • Reply 206 of 217
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

If you don't consider country music music and you're reasoning is because it's just a bunch of know-nothing hillbillies with family trees that curve in on themselves, then yes, you're reasoning would be bigoted and defined by irrational hate.
  • Reply 207 of 217
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    asdasd wrote: »
    That's a pretty big if. These content deals have to be negotiated country by country. Iovine comes across as a spoofer to me. The idea he's worth billions is nonsense.

We live in strange times.

Is WhatsApp worth $19 billion? And yet.

I'm not worried about price, but about direction. Are we going to see iPhones and iPads featuring much more prominently in rap music videos, together with Beats headphones, bling rings and chains... and some extra swearing?

I'd be much happier if Apple purchased a bit less exposed but better value for the money headphones brand, and got music streaming from some less exposed streaming service as well. Until TC gives some good (and yet unseen) explanation, this looks more like buying some celebrities, most of all.
  • Reply 208 of 217
    jwhitejwhite Posts: 7member
    M
    It is staggering. Can you imagine if someone suggested in 2001 that Apple would be making $10 billion a quarter? They'd have been laughed out of the room! Or that they would dwarf Microsoft in market cap? They've come a long way. And they're just getting started.

That said, I don't see streaming being profitable in its current state. There has to be something more. I will always want to own my music. A combined subscription/download service might work, but it would need to be very carefully applied.

What if apple/beats followed a netflix approach. So much a month for subscription service and it includes so many free download songs per month. Or and I Haven't played with beats a lot so it may do this - gives you a subscription service and you get to have so many songs in your que and rotate them out, kind of like the Netflix DVDs.
  • Reply 209 of 217
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    andysol wrote: »
    Keep in mind that revenue does not equal profit. People who keep saying Apple will make its $3b back in two years because beats revenue is $1.5b are absolutely clueless. Yes- if they had no payroll, marketing, research, packaging, or materials costs- you're right. And that $1.4 estimated revenue didn't include beats music- which is absolutely not profitable yet. 100k members- 98k are "paying" since Jan- but id guess a large chunk of that is via the free promotions cell providers were offering or free with headphone purchases. But for fun, let's say it's 100% of that 98k that is paying $10/month. You're talking less than $5 mil in revenue this year since the service started January. Were the studio deals free? Advertising? Was there no software development costs? Is there no staff? Beats music is in the red still- by a healthy margin.
    I've said it a million times but you baristas can't wrap your heads around it. Revenue doesn't determine the value of a company. Ever.

Everyone needs to get off the headphones. That was clearly just a little icing on the cake. It's profitable, sure- but apple really could give a rat about the peripheral business. Been there, done that, and unsuccessfully might I add.

It's crystal clear now with Cook's comments it was a 2 person aqui-hire which I think will be good for Apple- and music streamer that is apparently smarter than the others. Apple views those as worth $3b. So I'll be eagerly anticipating to see what they do with those. Like island hermit and solip said earlier- $3b is nothing in overall cost for a company apples size, so no biggie.
    As far as the headphones, I see that going the way of FileMaker (which I use for my companies and love)- out of sight out of mind- just let them do their thing.
    Sorry for my clueless post but with access to Apple's 800,0000,000 iTunes accounts most with credit cards attached, beats music should greatly accelerate, considering they have 40,000,000 iTunes Radio users in less than a year. Also estimates put the profit margin on beats headphones at 75% Which means I was wrong, it would take 3 years with no growth to get their money back. Beats had be growing at 30% per year.
  • Reply 210 of 217
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Jimmy Iovine said at the Code conference that Apple makes headphones just to make sure the sound works on their phones. I'm sure Jony Ive appreciates that. And it's a bit rich for Iovine to be criticizing headphones when plenty of people hate Beats.

And Iovine also said he has a full plate with music and wouldn't dare get into TV. So all these people who said he was Apple's meal ticket to deals with content providers were just spewing BS.
    He said his focus was music and he wasn't going near TV. He did elude to working to improve movies which he does have some history with.
  • Reply 211 of 217

Microsoft supports criminals that strongarmed an industry and a overly tolerant subdued society.. gangster rap? why don't you support the amazing advancement of music called electronica?  truly amazing artists that made techno , and trance music..snuffed out completely by giving place to loud mouth ugly creeps speakin s.h  t.  non talented and overly simplified.. Microsoft supports society heading backward.

• Reply 212 of 217

apple supports murderous criminals that strongarmed a music industry and a overly tolerant society.. gangster rap.. the amazing innovation  of electronica , techno and trance music are not known or heard in the u.s. because of giving place to a bunch of talentless ugly loud mouth worthless stinking creeps.. why doesn't apple spend its billions supporting a music as electronica that was snubbed out by rap.. because of peoples money in the wrong places.  supporting the wrong things. apple supports a backward society.. apple supports criminal gain.. apple supports hatred and aggression.. apple supports glorified violence.

• Reply 213 of 217

whats absurd is to support violence, ignorance, hatred this is what apple supports is gangster rap

• Reply 214 of 217

apple supports violence in u.s society. apple supports murderous thieves strongarming the music business. apple supports hatred . apple supports gangster rap.

• Reply 215 of 217

apple supports gangster rap, the antagonizing , the ugliness, the murder the violence by supporting dr. dre  criminals that strong armed a music industry and gave place to loud mouthed creeps.. power.. stopped electronica in the u.s.a  stopped techno, trance music , gave children the wrong influence. and a major burden to the worlds ear. what kind of people are americans? you support non-music you support a scam. a lie. you spray paint shit gold.

• Reply 216 of 217

Apple Save 3 Billion dollars By Selling 16GB iPhone 6/6 Plus In 2015 . Nice !!!!!!!!