Beats parts ways with design firm after Apple acquisition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

"Over the next few months, the design for Beats will transition away from Ammunition."

Why does business language have to be such bullshit? Transition away? Hasta la vista, Ammo.

And Ammunition's chief designer is 'thrilled' — yet 'it's tough to step down.' It's hard to be honest.

Hard for you, maybe - he's probably just better than that, and has other things on his plate.

• Reply 22 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Now I'm heating this deal even more after Iovine insulted Apple on stage tonight. He basically said Apple makes headphones just to make sure the sound is working on the phones. That's rich coming from someone who makes what many people consider to be overpriced plastic crap. If he and Dre try to interfere in future Apple designs I hope Ive tells them to **** off. #asshole

It was not in good form to insult the company you work for but it is true.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Of course. He has to put on a brave face. I just think that using the word 'thrilled' doesn't convey a very honest reaction. Something along the lines of 'sad to say goodbye to my baby but delighted that Apple are the benefactors' would be a bit more truthful to my mind. Yes, he effectively said that, but it's about the tone.

Edit: I haven't even seen the whole statement, so the context might be quite different. Just going on the AI post here.

Wow - you're reading all that into a paragraph on his blog. "It's about his tone", "he's not being truthful", etc. Wow again.

I find his statement totally believable.

• Reply 24 of 45
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member

The firm is located in San Francisco right on the bay Hmm....

• Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Hard for you, maybe - he's probably just better than that, and has other things on his plate.

Probably other things like multi-billion dollar offers from Google and Samsung, with Mark Zuckerberg dancing around waving more money than he knows how to handle.

• Reply 26 of 45
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Mr Robert Brunner is very professional about this.
    He must be an exceptional person.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    For the same reasons that the company your children work for are not going to then also hire you despite you being part of their growth and development that made them a viable candidate for their new employer. Or are you not proud of the accomplishments of others you were an integral part of helping make successful?

You don't hire a parent for completely other reasons (for example because he is retired or has another occupation or is to old).
    On the other hand, hiring someone who is part of a successful venture your buying is entirely logical.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Are you blind? If he's part of the reason, then why aren't they buying his services?

For the same reasons that the company your children work for are not going to then also hire you despite you being part of their growth and development that made them a viable candidate for their new employer. Or are you not proud of the accomplishments of others you were an integral part of helping make successful?

You're making a bizarre analogy. The fact is, if Apple loved the design of Beats headphones, they could have hired him. They chose not to, which suggests they think they can do a better job.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You're making a bizarre analogy. The fact is, if Apple loved the design of Beats headphones, they could have hired him. They chose not to, which suggests they think they can do a better job.
    Brunner runs his own design consultancy. I doubt he wants to go back to Apple working for the guy he hired at Apple. I don't think Apple brining design in house is a reflection on Brunner's work. I'm sure Apple would be killing the Beats brand if it wasn't so popular right now.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    knowitall wrote: »
    You don't hire a parent for completely other reasons (for example because he is retired or has another occupation or is to old). On the other hand, hiring someone who is part of a successful venture your buying is entirely logical.

You know that parents aren't older versions of their kids, right? The skills I possess my parents are so far outside my parents scope of knowledge that they can't even understand the job titles for the jobs I've had, and yet my success is their success because they raised me.

I'm making a perfectly reasonable analogy of why is he proud of what he helped create for Beats So what if Apple thinks they can do better, that doesn't mean they think he did a bad job, but what Apple thinks is irrelevant to this discussion where you believe that those that work at Ammunition shouldn't feel good about what they did to help make Beats a success.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    knowitall wrote: »
    You don't hire a parent for completely other reasons (for example because he is retired or has another occupation or is to old). On the other hand, hiring someone who is part of a successful venture your buying is entirely logical.

You know that parents aren't older versions of their kids, right? The skills I possess my parents are so far outside my parents scope of knowledge that they can't even understand the job titles for the jobs I've had, and yet my success is their success because they raised me.

I'm making a perfectly reasonable analogy of why is he proud of what he helped create for Beats So what if Apple thinks they can do better, that doesn't mean they think he did a bad job, but what Apple thinks is irrelevant to this discussion where you believe that those that work at Ammunition shouldn't feel good about what they did to help make Beats a success.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth.

You're getting all out of joint because you think I'm not giving the Beats designer credit. I'm looking at this with the cold eye of business. If the design of the headphones was so crucial to Apple, they would have tried to keep his expertise. Clearly it isn't. They are spending $0 on Beats design. And for good reason. You're never going to see everyone walking around with huge headphones; it's completely un-Apple.

No doubt Apple saw a compelling reason to buy Beats, the fruits of which we are yet to see. The one aspect that has been verified is the design—Apple are not interested in that part of Beats.
  • Reply 32 of 45

You're getting all out of joint because you think I'm not giving the Beats designer credit. I'm looking at this with the cold eye of business. If the design of the headphones was so crucial to Apple, they would have tried to keep his expertise. Clearly it isn't. They are spending $0 on Beats design. And for good reason. You're never going to see everyone walking around with huge headphones; it's completely un-Apple.

No doubt Apple saw a compelling reason to buy Beats, the fruits of which we are yet to see. The one aspect that has been verified is the design—Apple are not interested in that part of Beats.

:sigh: The design of Beats was an integral part of Beats success but that doesn't mean Apple needs Ammunition going forward. Look at it as a baton passing from one design house to another. That neither detracts from Beats success nor Ammunition being a part of that success. Apple bought Beats, but Ammunition is a separate entity. Why you oddly believe that Brunner can't be happy for the deal is ridiculous. Why you believe that if Apple thinks they can do a better job than Ammunition it means they think Brunner doesn't have talent or that Brunner shouldn't be happy that he helped put Beats on top of the headphone market is also ridiculous.

PS: I've already posted some Beats designs in this thread. What is wrong with them? I think they are stylish.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    quamb wrote: »
    These are real people, with real jobs and real passion. So it's never nice to hear about these stories, especially knowing how much that design team would have put into a project like Beats. 

That said, it's great news in the fact that Apple will have their own vision on whatever the future of Beats holds -- not the cheap, easily dated look of Beats current products. 

And therein lies the mismatch of company values and style. Beats is no different from overpriced flashy shoes that used to make headlines. You start making them "better" or more "Apple" and you lose the customer. They are completely retrograde.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member

I thought Monster designed the headphones...or were they more responsible for the technical side?

• Reply 35 of 45
    almondroca wrote: »
    I thought Monster designed the headphones...or were they more responsible for the technical side?

"From 2008 through 2012, Monster Cable served as the manufacturer for all Beats products; the company's manufacturing operations have since been taken in-house. […] Monster Cable was granted exclusive rights under a 5-year contract to manufacture and develop the first Beats-branded products."<sup>1</sup>
  • Reply 36 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    almondroca wrote: »

Monster manufactured them. Like how Apple designs their products and then Foxconn etc manufactures them.
  • Reply 37 of 45

:sigh: The design of Beats was an integral part of Beats success but that doesn't mean Apple needs Ammunition going forward. Look at it as a baton passing from one design house to another. That neither detracts from Beats success nor Ammunition being a part of that success. Apple bought Beats, but Ammunition is a separate entity. Why you oddly believe that Brunner can't be happy for the deal is ridiculous. Why you believe that if Apple thinks they can do a better job than Ammunition it means they think Brunner doesn't have talent or that Brunner shouldn't be happy that he helped put Beats on top of the headphone market is also ridiculous.

PS: I've already posted some Beats designs in this thread. What is wrong with them? I think they are stylish.

I would be disappointed if I were Brunner.

Imagine if Samsung decided to buy Apple, but gave Ive his P45? People would conclude that Samsung weren't interested in Ive's design skills. It tickles me to think of such a scenario! Would Ive be 'thrilled'? Possibly not.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    I would be disappointed if I were Brunner.

Imagine if Samsung decided to buy Apple, but gave Ive his P45? People would conclude that Samsung weren't interested in Ive's design skills. It tickles me to think of such a scenario! Would Ive be 'thrilled'? Possibly not.

JONY IVE IS AN EMPLOYEE OF APPLE! BRUNNER IS NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF BEATS!

Regardless, Ive should be proud of what he's created at Apple even when they do finally have another head of design. In no way will that mean Ive's contributions were worthless and that he shouldn't be proud of what he's contributed to the company's success. I would be happy if I were either Ive or Brunner
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

These don't look ostentatious to me. I think these look very sharp.

How 'bout that...

I agree, those look nice. I was obviously not familiar with the entire product line.

But you have to admit, a lot of other Beats product design is visually "loud" (as well as aurally ;)).

• Reply 40 of 45
    But you have to admit, a lot of other Beats product design is visually "loud" (as well as aurally ;) ).

I agree, but that was a business decision that clearly paid off, assuming the rumours of Beats owning the headphone business the way Apple owns all their business legs is true.

PS: Today Beats announced a new line called Solo 2 that are suppose to be less bassy. Once they come in in-ear form I'll give them a shot. Although… I really hate get interrupted when I'm wearing headphones so perhaps large, over-the-ear phones will help prevent that from happening.