Beats parts ways with design firm after Apple acquisition

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I agree, but that was a business decision that clearly paid off, assuming the rumours of Beats owning the headphone business the way Apple owns all their business legs is true.

PS: Today Beats announced a new line called Solo 2 that are suppose to be less bassy. Once they come in in-ear form I'll give them a shot. Although… I really hate get interrupted when I'm wearing headphones so perhaps large, over-the-ear phones will help prevent that from happening.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/29/beats-solo-2-headphones/
  • Reply 42 of 45
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"From 2008 through 2012, Monster Cable served as the manufacturer for all Beats products; the company's manufacturing operations have since been taken in-house. […] Monster Cable was granted exclusive rights under a 5-year contract to manufacture and develop the first Beats-branded products."1

Forgot about that. Not that one should feel sorry for Monster Cable, but they did the heavy lifting for Beats, only to see their intellectual work leave the company and be bought by Apple a couple years later. Now we can all enjoy overpriced speakers and cables in the next AppleTV set.

• Reply 43 of 45
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I would be disappointed if I were Brunner.

Imagine if Samsung decided to buy Apple, but gave Ive his P45? People would conclude that Samsung weren't interested in Ive's design skills. It tickles me to think of such a scenario! Would Ive be 'thrilled'? Possibly not.

JONY IVE IS AN EMPLOYEE OF APPLE! BRUNNER IS NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF BEATS!

Regardless, Ive should be proud of what he's created at Apple even when they do finally have another head of design. In no way will that mean Ive's contributions were worthless and that he shouldn't be proud of what he's contributed to the company's success. I would be happy if I were either Ive or Brunner

You're splitting hairs. Brunner 'has been an integral part of Beats since 2006.'

Re Beats headphones: I like the aesthetic of their oval-shaped headphones; more stylish than my Sennheisers. But it's all irrelevant, as all Brunner's designs will be cast aside for new Apple ones.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You're splitting hairs.

I'm pointing out specific details that are relevant to the point.
    Brunner 'has been an integral part of Beats since 2006.

I stated that already.
    ...all Brunner's designs will be cast aside for new Apple ones.

So? Most of Steve Job's UI look and feel decisions have been deprecated but that doesn't detract from his and its success at the time.

Look, no one is saying he wouldn't be thrilled to get work from Apple but any reasonable person would be thrilled that their company was pinnacle in the success of another's company as it makes them look good and Brunner has surely been getting work for his efforts to help make Beats a popular brand. Why you think he has to act all butt hurt is ridiculous.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

To the people saying Brunner should have been a part of the deal, the way I see it, Apple was only interested in acquiring 1 company - Beats.

Brunner has his own design firm. His contribution to Beats was the iconic design it has now, which is copyrighted and owned by Beats, which is now a part of Apple.

The only thing Brunner would have brought was design know-how and that is something Apple doesn't really need right now. What sense would it make for Apple to buy Ammunition? They wouldn't design for anyone else (Ammunition's current business) and Brunner would be in the awkward position of having to work under Ive.

I don't see any reasoning to have Brunner as part of the deal.