Apple's massive $3B bet on Beats a sure thing compared to all-in gamble on NeXT in 1996

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 108
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

    It's nots as central a bet as NeXT. If OS X hadn't worked out, with the engineers who came along in the deal, then it was D.O.A. If the Jonny Ive-designed next round of Beats is a bust, oh, too bad. 

     

    I think the unspoken during most of this is not the headliners, but the other staff that may have come with it. 

  • Reply 62 of 108
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharliePotatoes View Post



    Come on. Someone say it. The purchase proves that Apple is not a whitey only world.

    When you look around at the people that use Samsung and Beats, these people will be pulled into the Apple thing.

     

    Not sure where you're going with your racial remark and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.

     

    That said, my experience is that people who wear Beats headphones have iPhones attached to them the vast majority of the time.  That's not to imply that those who don't use iPhones are using anything better (usually Sony or Skullcandy), just that I'm not convinced that Apple will be stealing away any business from Samsung or any other smartphone manufacturer with this purchase.

  • Reply 63 of 108
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

    This is what Tim Cook should have announced:

     

    "Today I would like to announce a special Deal with Beats. In 2003, Apple started the iTunes Music Store to create a legitimate online music market to counter piracy and help us sell more iPods. Today, the online music business is thriving with many quality companies and many quality products, all of which have App Store access. Apple's mission in this space is therefore accomplished.

     

    "So today I will be announcing the biggest deal in Apple's history. For $3bn, we will be selling the iTunes Music Store to Beats. We feel they are people after our own values and will be good future stewards of the Store. This will allow Apple to maintain our laser focus on what we're best at, innovative computer based products. 

     

    "We do not feel that the market for online Movies, TV Shows and Books is as mature as we would like, so we will hold on to these parts of the Store for now. And of course the App Store will always remain under our control. And we reserve the right to open new branches of iTunes in future, as we perceive new markets that need a push.

     

    "My congratulations to Jimmy and Dre on their new acquisition."

  • Reply 64 of 108
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharliePotatoes View Post



    Come on. Someone say it. The purchase proves that Apple is not a whitey only world.

    When you look around at the people that use Samsung and Beats, these people will be pulled into the Apple thing.

     

    I see. So you're claiming that this deal has racial motivations? In that case, wouldn't that be extremely racist?

     

    Maybe Apple should split their product lines into racial and cultural categories, to fit this new brilliant line of thinking.

     

    When somebody steps into an Apple shop, from now on they will have to pass through a melanin detector and they will then be guided to the appropriate section of the store based on their readings. The darker they are, the greater the likelihood that they would be directed towards the "Beats" section of the Apple store.

     

    And the reason why many people have Samsung or other Android phones has nothing to do with color, it has a lot to do with income. Poor people come in all colors, and with the bad economy and very high unemployment for certain groups, it makes sense that they would tend to gravitate towards large sized cheap Android phones and phablets, which would double as a tablet for them, since many people and especially younger people and kids can not afford both.

  • Reply 65 of 108
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sucaj wrote: »
    This acquisition has almost single-handedly sucked out all of my enthusiasm for Apple... and I say this as the owner of my 6th iPhone, 3rd iPad, and countless MacBooks/Powerbooks.   Facebook and Google are busy acquiring innovative tech companies like Oculus and Word Lens - and Apple is busy acquiring for image and style.  This is like Apple acquiring king-of-shitty-audio Bose.  If you think Beats sound good, you should have turned up your bass EQ and saved yourself the $200 brand fee.  This is a horrible mismatch in company culture and product design approach.  This is the business version of cranky old neighbor Tim Cook listening to "the rap music" in order to relate to the neighborhood kids. 

    One more step and you'd have the point. You say "Apple is . . . acquiring for image and style."

    No, because Beats got to be the favored brand/image/style by having the right sound. Dr. Dre wouldn't have been able to pull it off if they didn't have the right sound.

    It's not the right sound for your demographic, because you belong to a group that abhors that bass-y beat. The Beats demographic lives on that big bass, and that's a much larger demographic worldwide than you belong to. Should Apple shun or embrace the Planet Drum generation, the majority of the world's young? That's the question for you,

    But it's not about image or style, it's about rhythm that can be felt. We miss that point at our peril.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    sucajsucaj Posts: 5member

    Way to miss the point.  I do not "abhor a bass-y beat".  I prefer my headphones to accurately recreate the sound of what I'm listening to (shocker, I know).  When I want a lot of bass, as I frequently do, I turn up the EQ - like everyone else since the dawn of home stereo.  

     

    Beats takes that power out of my hands by artificially enhancing the low-end regardless of whether I want it or not - a process which causes clipping and results in inferior sound.  Their hardware isn't any better at the low-end than the cheapest of headphones - it's just artificially amplified at all times.  It's not any more complicated than that.  In fact, not only is the hardware not better, it's worse - by overstimulating the senses with a heavy and impressive low end, they overshadow the pathetic performance from the midrange and upper frequencies in the crappy driver components they use.  

  • Reply 67 of 108
    When considering a smartphone a few years ago, I inquired about iPhone, but got recommendations that another brand (Palm Pre) was cheaper, had better reviews, and so forth.  Okay, I took the advice, and got shackled with a dead-end OS, hardware that was difficult to use, couldn't do simple navigation without paying a fee to the carrier, and ultimately withered and died.

    I can't blame your young friend for choosing the models he sees in actual use, doing what he wants.

    My dad bought a car that had bad reviews, but he thought it looked nice and a lot of his friends were driving one, so he got it. The car gave him a lot of problems, cost him a lot of money, and he wished he'd never bought it. He said it was the worst car he's ever owned.

    Since both of our stories are opposing, I guess nothing in the universe is true anymore.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    Hire that man!

    Why would I throw money away? I can buy a pair of headphones that sound better and are better quality for that money. The beats brand means nothing to me. They cost a lot because they cost a lot. Apple costs a lot, but they also have a reputation and I've had positive experiences with them through friends and using them now and again. Now I own a lot of apple stuff. Beats stuff is repeatedly shown to be like a nike brand, only expensive because celebrities wear it and the advertising all over.
  • Reply 69 of 108
    You're a
    flaneur wrote: »
    One more step and you'd have the point. You say "Apple is . . . acquiring for image and style."

    No, because Beats got to be the favored brand/image/style by having the right sound. Dr. Dre wouldn't have been able to pull it off if they didn't have the right sound.

    It's not the right sound for your demographic, because you belong to a group that abhors that bass-y beat. The Beats demographic lives on that big bass, and that's a much larger demographic worldwide than you belong to. Should Apple shun or embrace the Planet Drum generation, the majority of the world's young? That's the question for you,

    But it's not about image or style, it's about rhythm that can be felt. We miss that point at our peril.

    You're a really big beats fan aren't you?
  • Reply 70 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Before

     

     

    After

  • Reply 71 of 108
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

     

    The real reason Apple bought Beats: they gave up trying to develop good earbuds and bought them for their expertise.

     

    /s

     

    But in all seriousness, I sense Apple will bundle Beats branded EarPods with the next-generation iPhone and iPods.


     

    Only at a premium upgrade price.

  • Reply 72 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Before

    [image]

    After
    [image]


    Before:
    700

    After:
    700


    Before:
    700

    After:
    700
  • Reply 73 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    You can get Beats Executive for $199 at Costco

     

    http://www.frugalhotspot.com/2013/12/beats-executive-by-dr-dre/


     

    Interesting that it uses batteries, could they have an amp in there somewhere?

  • Reply 74 of 108
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

     

    Before

     

     

    After


     

    And much, much later...

     

  • Reply 75 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [CENTER]Things just ain't the same for gangstas.
    Times is changing, young niggas is aging,
    Becoming old gees in the game and changing,
    To make way for these new names and faces, but
    The strangest things can happen from rappin, when
    Niggas get wrapped up in image and acting,
    Niggas get capped up and wrapped in plastic,
    Zipped up in bags when it happens, that's it.
    I've seen 'em come; I've watched 'em go,
    Watched 'em rise, witnessed it and watched 'em blow.
    Watched 'em all blossom and watched 'em grow.
    Watched the lawsuits when they lost the dough.
    Best friends and money: I lost them both.
    Went, visited niggas in the hospital.
    It's all the same shit all across the globe.
    I just sit back and watch the show.

    I moved out of the hood for good, you blame me?
    Niggas aim mainly at niggas they can't be.
    But niggas can't hit niggas they can't see.
    I'm out of sight, now I'm out of they dang reach.
    How would you feel if niggas wanted you killed?
    You'd probably move to a new house on a new hill.
    And choose a new spot if niggas wanted you shot,
    I ain't a thug, how much Tupac in you, you got
    I ain't no bitch neither.
    It's either my life or your life,
    And I ain't leaving, I like breathing.
    Nigga we can go round for round,
    Clip for clip, shit, fo'-pound for pound.
    Nigga if you really want to take it there we can,
    Just remember that you fucking with a family man.
    I got a lot more to lose than you, remember that,
    When you wanna come and fill these shoes.

    Things just ain't the same for gangstas,
    Cops is anxious to put niggas in handcuffs.
    They wanna hang us, see us dead, enslave us,
    Keep us trapped in the same place we're raised in.
    Then they wonder why we act so outrageous,
    Run around stressed out and pull out gauges.
    Cause everytime you let the animal out cages,
    It's dangerous to people who look like strangers.
    But now we got a new era of gangstas,
    Hustlers and youngsters living amongst us.
    Lookin at us, now calling us busters,
    Can't help but reminisce back when it was us.
    Nigga we started this gangsta shit.
    And this the motherfucking thanks I get?
    It's funny how time fly,
    I'm just having fun, just watching it fly by.

    —The Watcher by Andre "Dr. Dre" Young[/CENTER]
  • Reply 76 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Interesting that it uses batteries, could they have an amp in there somewhere?

    All the noise canceling headphones I've owned used a battery.
  • Reply 77 of 108
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Things just ain't the same for gangsters...


    —The Watcher by Andre "Dr. Dre" Young

     

    Kids say the darndest things! :smokey:

  • Reply 78 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by danyak View Post



    No idea how to judge the transaction - except I have to say that as much as I like most Apple products, for me, Apple Radio is useless. Never ceases to amaze me by playing songs unrelated the station I created. I mean, such bad matches I just have to quit it and play my own mix.

     

    Yes, you do seem to get some interesting changes.

  • Reply 79 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post



    Time and Place (Space), I don't even see WHY (not how) you would even possibly compare Beats to NeXT! bah!

     

    It was a purely financial comparison based on the relative cost to Apple of the acquisitions based on the time that they were made.

     

    1997 $ vs 2014 $

     

    Keep calm.

     

    That is all.

  • Reply 80 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post





    Why would I throw money away? I can buy a pair of headphones that sound better and are better quality for that money. The beats brand means nothing to me. They cost a lot because they cost a lot. Apple costs a lot, but they also have a reputation and I've had positive experiences with them through friends and using them now and again. Now I own a lot of apple stuff. Beats stuff is repeatedly shown to be like a nike brand, only expensive because celebrities wear it and the advertising all over.

     

    ...and people who used whatever came in the box and never thought of spending big money on headphones are buying Beats by the thousands.

     

    All brought about by smart business people who had a vision, realised it and are now a part of Apple.

Sign In or Register to comment.