Apple's rumored smart home platform may not live up to hype, report says

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2014
Following rumors that Apple is planning to debut a smart home platform at WWDC, a report on Thursday claims the unannounced program is not as ambitious as market watchers and pundits first thought.

Hue

Citing sources with knowledge of Apple's supposed smart home initiative, Gigaom reports the new initiative is less of a platform than it is an extension of the "Made for iPhone" certification program.

The people said Apple plans incorporate some standard home automation functions like easily connecting smart devices to a home's Wi-Fi network, as well as possible remote control over Bluetooth. Apple is also expected to provide hooks into Siri for voice control operations, though restricted to minor commands.

According to these people, Apple's rumored solution is not expected to boast a true automation layer that is able to override individual device apps. The possibility of automating lights, appliances, HVAC systems and more was what made the rumor exciting. Without those capabilities, Apple's smart home program is basically an effort to simplify device setup and ensure hardware interoperability.

While disappointing, end users will likely be able to purchase MFi certified devices that can connect to a central hotspot or even the iPhone itself, negating the need for separate hubs that serve different communications protocols, the people said.

It is possible that Apple may one day introduce universal control to the as-yet-unannounced platform, but the system debuting at WWDC next week will not include that advanced functionality.

AppleInsider offered a peek at what a full-fledged Apple smart home platform could look like, but it appears Gigaom's sources have poured cold water on the potential of seeing many of those enticing features roll out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    So I guess we are now at the "rumors of the demise of Apple caused by rumors of new products that were rumored to be announced at WWDC to be rumored to not be announced" stage.

Ugh. Tuesday can't get here soon enough!
  • Reply 2 of 53
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    "While disappointing".... says who?
  • Reply 3 of 53

At this point, it does not matter- Stock will see new highs in 2014! 

Bottom Line- Buy the Fuc.ing Dips (BTFD) is the name of this Game! 

BTFD video :)

• Reply 4 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Is this a new record for the quickest “APPLE WILL REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD” to “APPLE ISN’T ACTUALLY GOING TO DO ANYTHING SELL YOUR STOCK”?

• Reply 5 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Wait: a rumor that says a previous rumor was full of hype? Come on, people. How about not getting carried away by every little rumor that pops up? Show a little restraint. Know the difference between reality and fantasies.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    This is fucking comical and depressing in its predictability.

"Hype"? What hype? This rumor literally came out 2 days ago out of left field, and there was no details apart from "home automation". They speak as if Apple itself has been hyping something for months. Not a single normal person knows about this rumor- it made a splash on the tech blogs, of course, but the term "hype" is really being abused here. There's nothing to "live up to" because absolutely nothing is known or even predicted. This rumor literally s a day old.

Personally, I can't wait to see iOS8 and OSX10.10. Everything else is icing on the cake, so I'm not going into this expecting to be disappointed.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    As John Gruber has noted, Apple likes to roll out iterative improvements. If Made for iOS is in place now, why not expand and make logical next-step improvements to expand that in new directions? I'll not be surprised if they make the push slowly (as they have with Apple TV) rather than try to roll out a huge platform all at once. It would build on and leverage an existing initiative, rather than compete with it.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    A passbook app for this would be kind of cool though. The tabs would be different rooms in your house, or different items... Like a tab for Nest, then a tab for lights or whatever the hell else is automated, I don't even know.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

NY Times is reporting that iOS 8 split screen multitasking won't be ready for WWDC. Mark Gurman says Craig Federighi wasn't at the Code conference because iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 are running behind schedule.

• Reply 10 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Outrage amongst Apple faithful as new rumour disparages yesterday's rumour. Some hope for even newer rumour to disparage latest rumour. Others "fed up with rumours" and wondering "why do I come here at all". Feelings remain high.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    rogifan wrote: »
    NY Times is reporting that iOS 8 split screen multitasking won't be ready for WWDC. Mark Gurman says Craig Federighi wasn't at the Code conference because iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 are running behind schedule.

If it isn't ready show slides.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Isn't "hype" something generated by the seller? Apple hasn't even announced it let alone hyped it. You're conflating rumors with hype. Apple isn't responsible for rumors.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Wow cycle of rumor, hype, dispelling of the myth, and hopeless despair now fits into 24 hours.

What's next?  1 pm.  New rumor of Apple product!

1:05 pm ELATION!

1:15 RUMOR AND HOPES DASHED

1:22 APPLE IS DOOMED

1:30 NEXT RUMOR!

• Reply 14 of 53
    LOL! Yesteray's rumors are today rumored not to be correct, which is 'disappointing'! Oh my!

It all adds up to zero actual information...

Now we're left with the 'disappointing' speculation that 'Apple's smart home program is basically an effort to simplify device setup and ensure hardware interoperability.' Well, that's sorta what Apple does, doesn't it?

Apple Insider, I generally like you guys, but this type of article is just too funny... Perhaps we should all just wait until Tuesday and find out what the facts are and then form opinions...

In the meantime, I'm going to take a little break from this site...
  • Reply 15 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

LOL! Yesteray's rumors are today rumored not to be correct, which is 'disappointing'! Oh my!

It all adds up to zero actual information...

Now we're left with the 'disappointing' speculation that 'Apple's smart home program is basically an effort to simplify device setup and ensure hardware interoperability.' Well, that's sorta what Apple does, doesn't it?

Apple Insider, I generally like you guys, but this type of article is just too funny... Perhaps we should all just wait until Tuesday and find out what the facts are and then form opinions...

In the meantime, I'm going to take a little break from this site...

"Second Hand News"

—Fleetwood Mac, Album: Rumors

I know there's nothing to say

Someone has taken my place

When times go bad

When times go rough

Won't you lay me down in tall grass

And let me do my stuff

I know I got nothin' on you

I know there's nothing to do

When times go bad

And you can't get enough

Won't you lay me down in the tall grass

And let me do my stuff

One thing I think you should know

I ain't gonna miss you when you go

Been down so long

I've been tossed around enough

Couldn't you just

Let me go down and do my stuff

I know you're hopin' to find

Someone who's gonna give you piece of mind

When times go bad

when times go rough

Won't you lay me down in tall grass

And let me do my stuff

I'm just second hand news

I'm just second hand news

• Reply 16 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

So I guess we are now at the "rumors of the demise of Apple caused by rumors of new products that were rumored to be announced at WWDC to be rumored to not be announced" stage.

Ugh. Tuesday can't get here soon enough!

^this^

• Reply 17 of 53
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Who cares? AAPL up $11 :smokey:

• Reply 18 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    CNET claims no hardware will be announced at WWDC. it will be all about software and mostly about OSX. Grr...I hope they're wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

A passbook app for this would be kind of cool though. 

Passbook is exactly what this reminds me of. It was a huge letdown. I've used it, but it is hardly user-friendly, and didn't deliver the promise they hype anticipated. There's nothing wrong with the app per se, but the rumors made it seem like an out-of-the-box NFC replacement.

• Reply 20 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

CNET claims no hardware will be announced at WWDC. it will be all about software and mostly about OSX. Grr...I hope they're wrong.

I suspect this is accurate. It's a dev conference so there isn't necessarily any reason to unveil new hardware unless they want devs to get to work creating for new sizes/devices.