Rumor: Split-screen multitasking on iPad not on tap for WWDC

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2014
A new feature that would allow iPad users to display and interact with two applications simultaneously is said to still be headed for iOS 8, but Apple may not be ready to reveal it at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, according to a new report.

"I've been told that the split-screen feature for iOS 8 isn't ready yet and won't be shown at WWDC," Brian X. Chen of The New York Times said in a tweet. Chen went on to call the feature "a work in progress."

Word that Apple was contemplating the split-screen capability, which is though to be similar to a feature which has garnered applause on Microsoft's Surface tablets, first appeared earlier this month. At the time, it was said that it would likely debut on the 9.7-inch iPad Air while potentially skipping the smaller iPad mini.

Apple has steadily added multitasking features to its mobile operating system over the years, but has largely restricted support to background processes. The one app, one screen paradigm has not changed since the iPhone's debut in 2007.

With or without the split-screen functions, Apple is expected to officially unveil the next-generation mobile operating system during a keynote address on Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will bring live updates from the keynote and will continue to report on developments at the conference throughout the week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Another AppleInsider rumour squashed by the intrepid AppleInsider rumour killers at AppleInsider.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Not a big deal for most consumers
  • Reply 3 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wonder what Apple will be ready to announce on Monday. So far the only thing that's a good bet is redesigned OSX. Mark Gurman claims the reason Craig Federighi wasn't at the Code conference is because Apple is behind on 10.10 and iOS 8.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I agree. I can think of a few cases where it would've been nice if I had a split screen to speed up some editing tasks, but I think the screen would have to be a bit larger for it to be more functional.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

According to who? You?

That'd be a huge improvement for things I do on it- and I don't even use it for "real" work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. I can think of a few cases where it would've been nice if I had a split screen to speed up some editing tasks, but I think the screen would have to be a bit larger for it to be more functional.

I would use it when copying and pasting things all the time. Additionally, I'd love to be reading in safari about something I'm texting my brother about- or facetiming while I'm looking up something instead of giving them a black "hold" screen, etc

Its one of those features you wouldn't think you'd use and think you wouldn't really need it until you realize you use it all the time (like gestures).

• Reply 6 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    They could improve copy and paste too.

Try this.

Touch once for a word.twice for a sentence. There times for a paragraph. Four times for the crazy selection thing they show now.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    andysol wrote: »
    According to who? You?

That'd be a huge improvement for things I do on it- and I don't even use it for "real" work.

I would use it when copying and pasting things all the time. Additionally, I'd love to be reading in safari about something I'm texting my brother about- or facetiming while I'm looking up something instead of giving them a black "hold" screen, etc

I would find this feature useful as well when creating some documents, but not to watch a movie as I created a complex spreadsheet... like Microsoft's Surface example. That's just stupid.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I'd like to have it.

Most users wouldn't care.

It will happen eventually in some form, at least on the full-size iPad.

But it needs to be intuitive (not the hidden gestures of Windows 8), it needs good developer support, and it needs to be done right. Wait as long as it takes to get it right!

Many pitfalls:

http://roopc.net/posts/2014/imagining-split-screen-ipad/

• Reply 9 of 30
    Multiple screens displayed as tabs would be a reasonable compromise.

As would a whole slough of iBook improvements. Apple has really let iBooks lie fallow. The kindle app beats iBooks handily now.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Didn't Brian X workforce Gizmodo? If he did, he probably stole a Beta copy than being told about it.
  • Reply 11 of 30

Easy on the caffeine...I would probably use it too.  But I can almost guarantee that most consumers would not use this feature as it is geared towards users that multi task.  Again understand the uses as I am a power user but what you are not understanding is the true audience that will actually use it.  Apple clearly understands this and that is why it has not been released yet.  You also have screen size issues tied to this as well.

• Reply 12 of 30
    Great reporting AppleInsider, not only did you find out they were working on split screen apps, but you also uncovered when they didn't manage their time well enough to finish the project.. we would have never known it was missing! Thank you guys, I wish other news sites could learn the meaning of true journalism.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Easy on the caffeine...I would probably use it too.  But I can almost guarantee that most consumers would not use this feature as it is geared towards users that multi task.  Again understand the uses as I am a power user but what you are not understanding is the true audience that will actually use it.  Apple clearly understands this and that is why it has not been released yet.  You also have screen size issues tied to this as well.

I get it- but I think most people would use it in some fashion- particularly if it was intuitive. It's like saying most users wouldn't use multiple tabs in safari.

As far as screen size, it's not an issue. Currently- gestures are iPad only , this can be the same.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Great reporting AppleInsider, not only did you find out they were working on split screen apps, but you also uncovered when they didn't manage their time well enough to finish the project.. we would have never known it was missing! Thank you guys, I wish other news sites could learn the meaning of true journalism.

Hysterical.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Split screen will be tough to make work reliably in only 1GB.

• Reply 16 of 30
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Split screen will be tough to make work reliably in only 1GB.

Why? All iOS 7 applications currently work on devices with only 512MB of RAM. When running two apps side by side, the maximum RAM allocation for those two apps would be limited in a way that one app cannot take over all RAM and force quit the other.

• Reply 17 of 30
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member

And in other news...  Apple stock plummets 10 points when the street hears that the rumored feature is being rumored to not make it in by WWDC .

• Reply 18 of 30
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    My thought is that this was never real. It's very typical for reforms to hit whore by pulling rumors out of their butts and then when it gets close to time to find out it was a lie, they fake a claim of 'delays'.
  • Reply 19 of 30

Watch the side-by-side video here for the Surface version.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/getting-around-tutorial

Very unintuitive.

• Reply 20 of 30
    ajmonlineajmonline Posts: 56member

If it is not ready, I hope it is not something they add in Beta 2 or 3.  Last year was rough with the APIs for the IOS 7 Betas changing up through the first couple of Betas (Which by definition makes them really Alphas). 

With as big of a change as IOS7 was, not having a stable API until August made life interesting for a September release.  :\