Ahead of iOS 8 announcement iOS 7 adoption nears 90% for iPhone, 85% for iPad

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cuencap View Post





    Apple doesn't get any satisfaction out of you updating your old machines. They don't care about you becoming the 0.5% piece of the pie chart in this article. Get off your high horse.

     

    Having a nice day?

  • Reply 22 of 44
    chiachia Posts: 701member
    tenly wrote: »
    Is this post a joke? Both of those things are possible today!
    I strongly suspect the poster is a troll.
    I doubt he uses any iOS device, or for that matter, anything from Apple.

    Expect the troll to reply with how the troll has purchased every single item for the past ten years from Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 1,504member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

     

    I'm only running it because Apple didn't release 6.1.6 for the iPhone 4. 

     

    iOS 6 is a MUCH better operating system, 7 is horribly ugly and has major user interface problems.

     

    I'm hoping 8 is better.


     

    Your argument would be MUCH stronger if you gave some actual examples of the "major user interface problems". 

  • Reply 24 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

     

     

    Your argument would be MUCH stronger if you gave some actual examples of the "major user interface problems". 


     

    Do we have to go through that every time?  Many people like OS7.  Many do not.  There have been many lengthy posts on why people do not like it.

     

     

    I also hope that 8 is an improvement.  Hopefully, it is easier to view, less bright overall, has controlled motion that doesn't trigger motion sickness in some customers and so on. 

     

    What I would most like to see would be a 30-day trial.  Install it and try it.  If you don't like it, revert to your old backup and carry on.  They did not allow this with 7 and, as suggested with the FaceTime problem, virtually forced some people to update (or stop using apps or leave the platform) because they couldn't be bothered to update their own apps properly.  Then they will turn around and announce at the keynote how many people updated; not all of these are happy about it.

  • Reply 25 of 44
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 1,504member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

    Do we have to go through that every time?  Many people like OS7.  Many do not.  There have been many lengthy posts on why people do not like it.

    I also hope that 8 is an improvement.  Hopefully, it is easier to view, less bright overall, has controlled motion that doesn't trigger motion sickness in some customers and so on. 

    What I would most like to see would be a 30-day trial.  Install it and try it.  If you don't like it, revert to your old backup and carry on.  They did not allow this with 7 and, as suggested with the FaceTime problem, virtually forced some people to update (or stop using apps or leave the platform) because they couldn't be bothered to update their own apps properly.  Then they will turn around and announce at the keynote how many people updated; not all of these are happy about it.


     

    Obviously we do need to keep going over it because people keep bringing it up in threads like this.

     

    Your points are valid, but some are outdated. The motion issue was addressed with successive updates. Did you try those out? 

     

    The fact remains that, while 7 was a drastic change, it's not that bad. People are adaptable creatures, and soon you would be right back in the groove of it like you never even used 6 before it. That's the truth.

  • Reply 26 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

     

     

    Obviously we do need to keep going over it because people keep bringing it up in threads like this.

     

    Your points are valid, but some are outdated. The motion issue was addressed with successive updates. Did you try those out? 

     

    The fact remains that, while 7 was a drastic change, it's not that bad. People are adaptable creatures, and soon you would be right back in the groove of it like you never even used 6 before it. That's the truth.


     

    Sometimes I wonder if I myself am outdated! 8-)

     

    I know motion got better, but it was an issue that TV has long known was a problem for some and a major mistake on Apple's part.  I have several friends who were made ill by it.

     

    Yes.  I have the latest update to 7 on my iPad mini.  I have had to go in and adjust various settings, white point, transparancy, contrast, etc.  Never needed to do this before and don't think most people should have to.  These adjustments also came very late to the game; for a good design, they should have been there from the beginning.

     

    7.1.1 is much better than the original 7 release, but I still think there are major problems with it.  

     

    I hope that 8 will be much better and more thought-through from the beginning.

  • Reply 27 of 44
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,138member

    iOS7 isn't great.  I would have stuck/gone back to iOS6 if I could.  Expect Apple to do the same with iOS8 (lock out downgrades).

  • Reply 28 of 44
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

     

    iOS7 isn't great.  I would have stuck/gone back to iOS6 if I could.  Expect Apple to do the same with iOS8 (lock out downgrades).


    Since the management change didn't have a full year on it since the manager switch took place after iOS 6 was released, I think they did a B+ job and I've gotten used to the new design and I'm sure there will always be some little design changes along the way.  There are some nice new features, and I'm looking forward to more.

     

    I read they are bringing split screen feature, hopefully they'll do a better job than Microsoft did.  I haven't played with Android's split screen so I really don't have experience with their implementation of it.

     

    I still find myself having to go into Settings WiFi to select the WiFi network so having the WiFI on/off in the control center area needs a little tweaking on that.  I'm just waiting for the larger screen, faster processor, etc. etc. due to my aging iPhone 4 being just a basic use phone.

  • Reply 29 of 44
    sleakajsleakaj Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post



    There are still iPads running iOS 4? iOS 5 I can understand since that's the limit for the original model, but why stick with 4?

     


    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

     

    Some old people are wary of changing anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I gave my original iPad to a very senior citizen and I can pretty much guarantee she won't go anywhere near the settings app, although she always tells me how much she likes using the iPad.


     

    iOS5 was the first version with OTA updates. If someone was still using an iPad 1 with iOS4 and they've never plugged it into a PC running iTunes they are completely unable to update it.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    bao babusbao babus Posts: 20member
    I hope Apple will correct iOS 8 to have much better design than iOS 7.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    These numbers don't tell us what percentage of iPhone and iPad users have switched to iOS7. They only tell us the percentage of internet access impressions are generated by each. The usage of the previous versions could be much higher among users who just don't do a lot of internet searching with the iDevices.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    pjohntpjohnt Posts: 10member
    .
  • Reply 33 of 44
    pjohntpjohnt Posts: 10member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wolfhow1 View Post



    The math is off on the iPhone. 83.3 5.4= 88.7. So it appears it increased by 6.4%

    5.4% of 83.3% = 6.33%.  Looks like a rounding error, but the calculation is correct

  • Reply 34 of 44
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,215member
    Two issues here,
    1. Chitika doesn't have access to everyone so their numbers are suspect
    2. Correlation doesn't equal casualty. The headline wants us to think that iOS 8 has anything to do with this. the SSL bug, the followup iMessage/Facetime issue, and the inability to upgrade iOS 6 on a device that can update to iOS 7 have more to do with the adoption
  • Reply 35 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,511member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Obviously we do need to keep going over it because people keep bringing it up in threads like this.

    Your points are valid, but some are outdated. The motion issue was addressed with successive updates. Did you try those out? 

    The fact remains that, while 7 was a drastic change, it's not that bad. People are adaptable creatures, and soon you would be right back in the groove of it like you never even used 6 before it. That's the truth.

    Except 7 has no groove, visually. It's actually designed to be unattractive to the eye, so no groove permitted.

    Could be design laziness or tastelessness, but I think it was from an excess of design puritanism. "Let us have no texture" was the mandate. So we get an ungodly green for the battery icon, a nasty pointy blue thing for Safari, and so on.

    I've got 7 on my iPad mini, 6 on my iPhone 4Ses. It is always such a pleasure to see the 6 screens, such a pain to see the 7 icons. Design purity is right next to design perversity. They crossed the line. I hope they redeem themselves.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    The numbers are fake. Many of those are Android users who modified their user agent. Nobody is using iOS 7 because it's such a failure. ¡


    Seriously, though, why would anyone doubt these figures? If you polled 10 people about something you're not going to get accurate data. If you poll 1,000 people and 900 were using iOS 7 then it's safe to say that the rest of the population are going to show similar numbers.

    Chitika is basing their data off millions of devices, so their margin of error should be really small.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,173member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

     

    I need:

    Search for email.

    History for Safari.


     

    Not only are you a tireless troll, you're ignorant of even the most basic iOS built in app features which have been around for ages. It's clear that your ignorance extends through all areas. Maybe try to be informed, instead of just having an opinion based on this ignorance?

  • Reply 38 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,173member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post





    Except 7 has no groove, visually. It's actually designed to be unattractive to the eye, so no groove permitted.



    Could be design laziness or tastelessness, but I think it was from an excess of design puritanism. "Let us have no texture" was the mandate. So we get an ungodly green for the battery icon, a nasty pointy blue thing for Safari, and so on.



    I've got 7 on my iPad mini, 6 on my iPhone 4Ses. It is always such a pleasure to see the 6 screens, such a pain to see the 7 icons. Design purity is right next to design perversity. They crossed the line. I hope they redeem themselves.

     

    I agree they did go overboard on the starkness, but quite honestly there's only a few aspects that still bother me- the rest I've grown accustomed to, and its actually grown on me, and 7.1 did improve some of the egregious useability choices. I do hope that iOS8 brings some visual improvements though, and that they've taken a second pass on the icons which I believe on the whole look weak. However, anecdotally I don't think normal people give a shit. Not once people I know that upgraded to iOS7 had any negative comments about the looks, and there are no indications that sales or customer satisfaction has suffered (quite the opposite, actually) so I don't think it's gotten any kind of mainstream of universal negativity. 

  • Reply 39 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,173member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

     

    Very happy to say that I have not updated to 7 yet on 4 out of 5 devices.   I still find it a visual disaster. 

     

    I may have to get 8, but only with a new device.  I will not give them the satisfaction of having my older machines updated.

     


     

    The notion that you think you not updating your OS keeps anyone at Apple awake at night is absolutely hilarious. Apple is selling many tens of millions of iOS devices a month, all running iOS7. Your decision is less significant to Apple than a blade of grass on a football field. Beyond that, you're only shooting yourself in the foot as regardless of you opinion on the visual aspect, iOS7 IS a much more fully featured and overall better OS than the previous in every single respect. Hilarious that you're sacrificing all that so that you "don't give them satisfaction". I've heard strange justifications before, but that one takes the cake. Like it or not, iOS7 has been widely accepted by the mainstream as Apple is still smashing sales record each quarter. Your personal decision has less than zero influence on anything. I'd recommend making rational choices. 

  • Reply 40 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

    I think it was clear that my reasoning is a little more than just trying to not give them the satisfaction.  That was an added on phrase that maybe I could have left off.  Sorry if that distracted from my meaning.

Sign In or Register to comment.