Apple announces OS X 10.10 Yosemite with new interface, enhanced apps & continuity

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141

While I find some of the new features, as well as the interface changes likable, I can't seem to like that new dock. For me, it's regression to the days of OS X Tiger. I don't like it, it's TOO minimalistic (nitpicking of course). I think they could've evolved the icons as it did, keeping the stylish 3-Dish dock that was introduced with Leopard. I think it just works, and it would've worked perfectly even with the minimalistic (mobile) approach Apple is taking. I want OS to feel like a desktop computer, not a big mobile device... and this is where the design has headed. The days when OS X inspired the iPhone interface are long gone, now it's the opposite. There's no telling apart a computer from a mobile when it comes to Apple, their devices, in my opinion, should've kept their own "spirit" if I dare say. Otherwise, the features are impressive, just not completely convinced with the design approaches the Mac is taking.

• Reply 42 of 141
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So why did YOU post, then?

Someone...not something. I have an opinion just like anyone. Doesn't mean we have to agree all the time or start a pissing contest when we don't.

If you want to be in a meaningful conversation...fine. If not...see ya!!

• Reply 43 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Someone...not something. I have an opinion just like anyone.

That’s a funny little loophole. “You can say anything about about something, but not someone.”

Guess what, boyo? To me, you’re just pixels and digits. Those’re things.

Doesn’t mean we have to agree…

That’s correct. You don’t have to be right in any capacity. You can take the lying, incorrect route all you want, and I don’t have to agree with it.

• Reply 44 of 141
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So... why are you typing again? :???:

Do you not have something better to do with your time than criticize someone that doesn't agree with you? Sorry, I have work to do. See you too in the funny pages. ;)

• Reply 45 of 141
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Do you not have something better to do with your time than criticize someone that doesn't agree with you?

Again, WHY are you on this website?

Sorry, I have work to do. See you too in the funny pages. ;)

Ah, the old standby. “I’m leaving, therefore I’m right.” Not sure how you’re expected to get that $0.50 per post if you leave, though.

• Reply 46 of 141
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Just a heads up, the OS X Yosemite beta sign up is live. First million who sign up get in on the beta. 

• Reply 47 of 141
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Just a heads up, the OS X Yosemite beta sign up is live. First million who sign up get in on the beta. 

Whats the link?

I thought it was apple.com/osx/preview but that just loads the mavericks page. 

EDIT....Nevermind...I had to clear my cache out and then it loaded. 

• Reply 48 of 141
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member

Sorry, meant to quite what another user said.  Can't delete this.

• Reply 49 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Whats the link?

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram

• Reply 50 of 141
    Quote:

Whats the link?

I thought it was apple.com/osx/preview but that just loads the mavericks page. 

Odd it won't load up on my iMac but the Yosemite loads up on my iPad. 

• Reply 51 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

clean ? simple

Well said!

• Reply 52 of 141

Whats the link?

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

The link is ON the Yosemite page, at the bottom.

• Reply 53 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Odd it won't load up on my iMac but the Yosemite loads up on my iPad. 

Clear the cache on the Mac...thats what I had to do. It kept loading the Mavericks page for me until I cleared out my Safari Cache.

• Reply 54 of 141

I wonder if you were already signed up for the Mavericks Public Betas if you're already signed up for the Yosemite ones? I signed up for the Yosemite ones anyways, but I was just wondering. Kinda looks like its a separate thing. 

• Reply 55 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I like some of the new functionality, but, like others above, the UI does not impress me at all.  

Translucency?  They better make sure that kind of unneeded irritation can be turned off.

My sentiments exactly. Didn't we already do translucency? They're making it sound like it is this new revelation.

• Reply 56 of 141
    Quote:

Clear the cache on the Mac...thats what I had to do. It kept loading the Mavericks page for me until I cleared out my Safari Cache.

That was my problem. I totally forgot about clearing the cache. 

• Reply 57 of 141
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Gorgeous UI.

Best news of the day by far - the rest of the keynote was a total downer, with the single worst moment to be credited to "Dr Dre"'s ridiculous phone participation; probably the worst keynote since Gil Amelio's pathetic 3-hour MWSF presentation in 1997.

• Reply 58 of 141
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I can honestly say the new features of OSX, and its visual refresh exceeded all my expectations. Features are practical, useful, well implemented, thoughtful, and slick- and OSX now finally looks ultra-modern, with the look carefully updated and not blindly skinned like iOS. Absolutely LOVE the look of the new dock icons, and the fact that they didnt just duplicate the iOS7 ones but thoughtfully refreshed the OSX style. Also love the consistency of everything. Just fucking brilliant. The synergy between iOS and OSX is also off-the charts, implementing things I only imagined but never thought they would do (SMS in OSX, calling from OSX, etc. )

I've never had more faith in Apple than I do after this keynote. They're the completely opposite of "confused, uncertain, and lost" as some opportunistic, thick-headed trolls want you to believe.
  • Reply 59 of 141
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

Looking forward to the Finder Dark Mode and being able to call Dr. Dre via the Mac.

Buy a new Mac?  Get 5 free calls to Dr. Dre during normal rapper hours.

• Reply 60 of 141
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can honestly say the new features of OSX, and its visual refresh exceeded all my expectations. Features are practical, useful, well implemented, thoughtful, and slick- and OSX now finally looks ultra-modern, with the look carefully updated and not blindly skinned like iOS. Absolutely LOVE the look of the new dock icons, and the fact that they didnt just duplicate the iOS7 ones but thoughtfully refreshed the OSX style. Also love the consistency of everything. Just fucking brilliant. The synergy between iOS and OSX is also off-the charts, implementing things I only imagined but never thought they would do (SMS in OSX, calling from OSX, etc. )

I've never had more faith in Apple than I do after this keynote. They're the completely opposite of "confused, uncertain, and lost" as some opportunistic, thick-headed trolls want you to believe.

As far as OS X is concerned, I absolutely agree; a much welcome refresh of the Mac's UI - all the rest was pretty much crap.