iOS 8 ups chances of recovering lost or stolen iPhone with 'Send Last Location' feature

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
A new feature added to iCloud's Find My iPhone in iOS 8 passes along an iPhone or iPad's geolocation data to Apple just before its battery completely dies, boosting the chances of finding the device.

Appropriately called "Send Last Location," the new capability will automatically send an iOS device's last known location to Apple when its battery drains to a predetermined point, giving owners one last chance to find it before it disappears from the grid.

At this stage, the threshold at which location data is sent and stored is unknown, but the current iCloud standard is to log a device's last known location for 24 hours. The extra time could be vital in finding a stolen iPhone or iPad.

Existing protection assets already allow users to track, send messages to, lock and wipe a lost or stolen device via iCloud. These features can be thwarted to some extent by turning the iPhone off and isolating it from a data connection, but a thief must break a user's passcode to gain functional access to the device.

It is unknown how the "Send Last Location" system will work when iOS 8 is released this fall, though it can be speculated that Apple will store a device's last known whereabouts and possibly make that information available to the user through the Find My iPhone tool. While the feature's toggle switch can be activated in the iOS 8 beta, the corresponding service may not yet be up and running.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

Any word on a "Passcode Required to Power Off" setting? 

When I steal someone's iPhone, the first thing I do is power it down. With this feature, my business would be crippled. 

Regards, 

iPhone Thief*

*I am joking about being an iPhone Thief. 

• Reply 2 of 28
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

When I steal someone's iPhone, the first thing I do is power it down. With this feature, my business would be crippled. 

Regards, 
    iPhone Thief*

[SIZE=8px]*I am joking about being an iPhone Thief. [/SIZE]

Touch ID would be good for this

Slide to power off or inserting a SIM removal tool could also be used as a trigger to fire off a location .
  • Reply 3 of 28
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  • Reply 4 of 28

Anyword of having it take a picture of the thief? Tracking its location is nice but when you can just give a photo to the police its makes the process SO much easier.

• Reply 5 of 28
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    This would be great for being turned off at all, turn iPhone off is first thought of a stolen device as well maybe passcode feature as well.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I had no idea one could leave apple feedback , it will be interesting to see how you can twin access to the last known location . If they do turn it off though even with a full battery hopefully find my iPhone has a quick response time to locating the device once powered on and notifying you when it is found .
  • Reply 7 of 28
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member

If only some of the passengers on MH370 had an iOS 8 beta ...

• Reply 8 of 28
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

I had no idea one could leave apple feedback

Yes.

Customer feedback methods have existed long before Yelp.

Pretty much any commercial endeavor will allow for some sort of feedback mechanism, whether it be a comment box, a slip of paper handed to an employee, talking to a manager, a letter to the owner, etc.

Apple being a Fortune 500 company has nice forms on their website which helps efficiently route messages to the right person in a large organization, but if you're just dealing with some app developer working by him/herself, you can just send an e-mail. Sites like Yahoo and Google typically have a "Feedback" link somewhere on every single page (on Yahoo it is the lower right hand corner).

You know, you could probably mail a hand-written letter to "Apple Inc., Attn: Tim Cook or iPhone Engineering Manager, 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014" and it would eventually reach the right person.

Good companies welcome feedback, particularly constructive criticism, as it helps them build better products and services.

If you ever decide run a business, you should consider listening to your clientele.

• Reply 9 of 28
    When it's about to run out of power? So every couple of hours or so?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    noelos wrote: »
    Then their last known position would have registered a mile or so from the airport when they left cell tower range?
    That would be useful how?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Then their last known position would have registered a mile or so from the airport when they left cell tower range?

That would be useful how?

Good old pedantry - always makes a simple off-colour joke better.

• Reply 12 of 28
    ivabignivabign Posts: 61member
    mpantone wrote: »

If you ever decide run a business, you should consider listening to your clientele.

What an idiotic idea

-General Motors Management
  • Reply 13 of 28
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noelos View Post

YOU have a waterproof iPhone ? News to me. :-)

• Reply 14 of 28
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member

Regards, 
    iPhone Thief*

[SIZE=8px]*I am joking about being an iPhone Thief. [/SIZE]
    This is Something I've been submitting to apple for feedback every year since "find my iPhone" was introduced.

In one thread I actually had some
    People questioning the need of this feature. SMH

Don't know why they can't implement this as It would make an awesome addition and finally make find my iPhone a force to be reckoned with.

We're gonna stop you one day iPhone thief!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    fix the 24 hour thing and I would be happy.
    In the last few months, I have had to try locate 2 lost iPhone, one stolen and one actually lost.
    Both had find my iPhone on. Going into the app or iCloud account about 6 hours later and it just shows 'Location not available'

Last known location not available at all.

same happens in Find my friends, although that could be designed that way as it shouldn't show you where they wed 24 hours ago.

must leave feedback%u2026.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

This is Something I've been submitting to apple for feedback every year since "find my iPhone" was introduced.

In one thread I actually had some

People questioning the need of this feature. SMH

Don't know why they can't implement this as It would make an awesome addition and finally make find my iPhone a force to be reckoned with.

We're gonna stop you one day iPhone thief!

It certainly makes sense to give users the option to require a passcode to power down.  Seems like a trivially easy addition to make (with it off by default).

On the other hand, I have no doubt that thieves would get around this with a easy, low-tech solution (like tossing stolen phones in a RF-opaque container until the battery dies).

• Reply 17 of 28
    russwrussw Posts: 21member
    Wouldn't this feature be more for situations where the owner loses the phone rather than theft? When the battery runs out you can't use findMyiPhone so it's useful to know where the phone was (at friends house, Starbucks, whatever) when it died. I would think the first thing a thief would do would be to pop out the SIM so this feature would be pretty useless for theft, IMO.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    cwingravcwingrav Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noelos View Post

In order to send transmissions on the island of Lost, you have to be far out on a boat. So, it would only work if it ran out of power while they were on a boat.*

* too soon for MH370 jokes?

* too soon to make Lost jokes?

• Reply 19 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cwingrav wrote: »
    In order to send transmissions on the island of Lost, you have to be far out on a boat. So, it would only work if it ran out of power while they were on a boat.*
    [SIZE=8px]* too soon for MH370 jokes?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8px]* too soon to make Lost jokes?[/SIZE]

Was the island every named? I seem to recall only hearing The Island to refer to the main island and Hydra to refer to the smaller island. It was inhabited by many older cultures so it could have had many names but I don't recall if any were mentioned.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

This link simply points to:

>> /dev/null

8-)