Apple urges developers to opt-in to upcoming Family Sharing program

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Same here. The iPad used by my wife, my kid and I are on the same User Id.

But I like this new feature since it will still keep unique Ids, thereby ensuring separate emails, notes and documents, but not having to buy the same app within the family.

I totally agree. Right now, my kid is only 4 so his dad is currently the greatest guy in the world. But soon he is not going to enjoy the same things I do, but I'm sure he'd opt out of family sharing then!!

Exactly.  Our shared Pages is filling up with my kids' school work and my work-work.  Yes, one can "make it work" today by turning off all the new features of the last few iOS versions, but this Family thing will fix that.

As to why it's tied to one credit card and whether that's reasonable, it's to prevent blatent piracy and is a reasonable compromise between supporting users and supporting developers/content providers.  Sucks if you have more than 4 kids, but they had to draw the line somewhere or the labels and major developers wouldn't go along with it.

• Reply 22 of 36
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Snow View Post

The family doesn't have to use the same credit card. I have been doing that for years with my family members, kids and grandchildren. Just make a special Apple ID that is not connected to any credit card and which family members can use for buying through AppStore. Of course they also have their own Apple ID's themselves, but a special account used for buying from iTunes etc.

Then you can put as much credit to the account as you wish from your credit card and from any family members credit card if you wish so. You can even let your kids use theirs in some cases to buy their own credit on the account. Just shut off the automatic downloading of what others are buying ;-).

And to add, my family is spread over a few countries, all of them using their own aTV's, iPhones/iPads and Macs. Yes, just Apple's :-)

In that way we share films, apps and programs that we want, we could even share the songs, but.... you know ;-) If one rents a film, a good one, the others get a message that they have 24 hours to see it also if they want.

I just made the simple rule that the kids have to call me for my acceptance if they want to buy anything worth over a few dollars and they do! But you never say no, especially to the youngest ones :-) and it is really nice to hear their voices :-)

First, how are you doing that?  I don't understand how you have "a special Apple ID that is not connected to any credit card and which family members can use for buying through AppStore" without all the devices associated with that ID.

Second, you realize that that is well outside the terms and conditions you agreed to, right?  The new family thing Apple is offering is a good reasonable step in the right direction, but still won't support that.

• Reply 23 of 36
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If you really have a potential suit I'm sure you could find a lawyer willing to take it pro bono as a class action.

Pro bono? 

Class action -- by its very nature -- makes lawyers money at the expense of the plaintiffs, who usually get some meaningless token such as small discounts toward some future purchase.

• Reply 24 of 36
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Exactly.  Our shared Pages is filling up with my kids' school work and my work-work.  Yes, one can "make it work" today by turning off all the new features of the last few iOS versions, but this Family thing will fix that.

UM, what? Why are you sharing iCloud accounts? That's absurd! All you need to do is share an iTunes Store account. That has no bearing on the iCloud account that the device is using.

• Reply 25 of 36
    I'm hoping with this feature, there will be a way to transfer ownership of purchases to another family account. My wife and I use the same account but its become a problem with the Apple TV bug for itunes match users that shows the match library as well as purchases. That didn't use to be the case until the last few months and there's no option that I could find to turn off purchases showing up. There is an option in ios7.

I know its not likely for this to happen but I'm hoping for a short window to do this, like a one time only deal.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Okay I am acting old here. but this is just another example of kids feeling entitled.

I do not understand the need for kids and I mean under 18 having purchasing access to a parents CC. I said this before when the whole issue of apple and other companies being sued due to someone kids making thousands of $ of purchase without the parents knowledge, be a parent first and supervise your kids and not make it other people issue for your failure as a parent.

Kids should not be purchasing things themselves this is why CC company do not issue them a CC. Legally no kids can enter into a contract and buying something on credit is a contract this is why parents should be making the actual purchase. By giving kids this kind of access, Apple and other company know full well that kids will buy whatever they want and few parent had the will power to say no to their kids.

I see it all the time in stores the kids wearing the parent down as the kid screams and yells about wanting to buy something. If you kids want to buy something make them us their birthday money and they will learn real fast the value of something and learn the the money runs out at some point.

• Reply 27 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Okay I am acting old here. but this is just another example of kids feeling entitled.

I do not understand the need for kids and I mean under 18 having purchasing access to a parents CC. I said this before when the whole issue of apple and other companies being sued due to someone kids making thousands of $ of purchase without the parents knowledge, be a parent first and supervise your kids and not make it other people issue for your failure as a parent.

Kids should not be purchasing things themselves this is why CC company do not issue them a CC. Legally no kids can enter into a contract and buying something on credit is a contract this is why parents should be making the actual purchase. By giving kids this kind of access, Apple and other company know full well that kids will buy whatever they want and few parent had the will power to say no to their kids.

I see it all the time in stores the kids wearing the parent down as the kid screams and yells about wanting to buy something. If you kids want to buy something make them us their birthday money and they will learn real fast the value of something and learn the the money runs out at some point.

I think a better option is the gift card route. When the money runs out, they need to earn their own money.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Apparently parents will have the option to not buy apps from developers who don't agree to support Family Sharing.  ;) 

You always had the option to "not buy apps". No one forces you to buy an app.

• Reply 29 of 36
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member

This "family share" is a great idea but that means less profit for the developer. Does this mean the cost of Apps will increase?  Will Apple decrease it's percentage?  Here's an example  I release a "do  hickey" app.  Dad buys it at $1,99. Mom likes it so does son and daughter. They each pay $1.99 for the app. But with family share -  they only pay once. Then there's the issue of families having multiple accounts.  What then?  

Did I miss something?  

• Reply 30 of 36
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RS9 View Post

This "family share" is a great idea but that means less profit for the developer. Does this mean the cost of Apps will increase?  Will Apple decrease it's percentage?  Here's an example  I release a "do  hickey" app.  Dad buys it at $1,99. Mom likes it so does son and daughter. They each pay $1.99 for the app. But with family share -  they only pay once. Then there's the issue of families having multiple accounts.  What then?  

Did I miss something?  

I'm thinking that IAP won't count.  Since children are primarily interested in games which are often free with a boatload of IAP I think that's where developers are going to make money.   Each family member would have to buy their own IAP which does mean more money for developers. 

I'll have to search for how the IAP receipts work in conjunction with Family Sharing

• Reply 31 of 36
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

That will make the app more expensive. Developers have to eat. People want everything for free until it's their work that has to be undervalued as a result. I'd do it but I'd also have to raise the price of the app to cover the cost. So basically people who don't have families will have to redistribute their income to those who do have families...I guess we already do that here in the US. Same sh**** different day.

• Reply 32 of 36
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    I think developers will ultimately go for it. Will ultimately push more apps to use IAP though.

The problem developers have is the app store lowered what people expect to pay for something. Then it required updates to be free meaning trying to do a version 2 is a gamble at loosing a ranking. Now with sharing your incomes lowered further.

IAP is one of the only ways to get the real value from a customer, but its also a really ugly way of selling.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

It's probably to prevent you from making a "family" with random friends to save money.

That's what I thought, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Yes, in the States, a credit card account will have one name on it. The spouse will order a authorized user card that has the same number but different name, and the liability rests with the primary account holder. You can also do the same with teens, often used if they travel without you.

My spouse's authorized user card has a different number. It doesn't matter though for purposes of iTunes though. We'll just pick one number and both use it. We're already sharing the account, so using the same number isn't any different.

• Reply 34 of 36
    ttong_atxttong_atx Posts: 15member
    I think that Apple knows that people are already beating the system. Maybe they understand that what my wife and kids buy with my money, even with different Apple IDs, was still bought with my money. Why shouldn't I have access to a song my wife bought on her iPhone? It was paid for out of our joint bank account. I've had an issue with this for a while.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    rs9 wrote: »

Did I miss something?  

I suppose that might happen, but I expect that it's rare. More likely the majority of families have already designated an iTunes account to be shared. Nobody wants to pay twice for something, and within an immediate family most people share movies/games/etc rather than buy individual copies.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    With today's email, Apple is urging developers to agree to the new iOS and Mac Paid Applications Agreement in iTunes Connect regarding Family Sharing. Apparently developers have the option to keep past purchases out of the program, suggesting the same option will be available to future apps as well.

No it doesn't. Apple probably needs permission to include past sales since the contractual terms under which the apps were sold didn't include any provision for sharing; however, all Apple needs to say is: "starting tomorrow, all apps submitted to the App Store must agree to our new Paid Applications Agreement" and the "option" is gone forever.