Apple, Inc to split stock 7-1 after Friday June 6 market close

1356

Comments

  • Reply 40 of 111
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 181member
    gwmac wrote: »
    There is just something more satisfying or comforting about buying 10 shares over 8, or 200

    I think most investors should have a fixed dollar amount In their head that they want to invest. Say $5k and then they just see how many shares that will get them. If the price rises they will just buy fewer and if it falls they buy more.

    It's like I don't mind if gas prices go up or down. I always fill for $50;-)
  • Reply 42 of 111
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 181member
    You have to account for all those stock buys backs and those new stock awarded to the execs.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    For the trillion dollar market cap it's a little higher:



    1,000,000,000,000 market cap ÷ 861,380,000 shares = $1160.93 per share ÷ 7 (split) = $165.85 per share

     

    Except we weren't discussing a trillion dollar market cap. We were talking about $1,000 per share. You are the first person to mention 1 trillion so that is an interesting tidbit but rather irrelevant to the discussion. 

     

    $1,000 ÷ 7 =  $142.86. 

  • Reply 44 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Really? I have always believed that your typical small time investors are more long term types that will hold for years or even decades. The headaches with taxes and capital gains is but one reason. Also the type of people I am talking about are teachers, construction workers, small business owners, etc.. who are simply far too busy to actively monitor their Ameritrade accounts and buy and sell often. I could be wrong of course but I think individual, middle class type investors tend to invest more with an eye for retirement than short term. 

    Normally, I don't pay much attention to this, but with all the hoopla going around since it's a 7:1 split, I've been reading a lot of articles in the financial press about it. When discussing small investors, the conclusions are that it makes a stock more variable. Think of day traders, as an example. They will trade on small gains and losses, as that's what day trading is all about.

    Remember that just a very small percentage of a stock is traded openly every day. For Apple, it's about 12% of the shares. Those trades make up most of the variability of the stock.

    It's interesting to note that when Buffet was recently asked why he didn't want to split his stock, he gave the very same answer; variability.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    melgross wrote: »
    My broker just called me to let me know, and to also tell me that it won't be available for after hours trading Friday. He knows I know this, but he's calling all the Apple clients.

    I haven't checked my emails to see if Scottrade is letting me know this on my account there.

    I got an E-Mail from Scottrade with all of the details and they also wrote about it in their blog which gets E-Mailed as well.

    I wouldn't imagine that people would go crazy for too long considering that after a brief moment of panic, they would login to their account and notice that the value was about what they would expect and that they posess a much larger quantity of shares.
  • Reply 46 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    magic_al wrote: »
    Will anybody freak out on Monday if they don't know about the split and see Apple's stock price displayed out of context?

    My broker just called me to let me know
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Yes, but I'd argue that with Internet-based trades being so cheap and buying 1 share or 1,000 shares costs the same thing that this has already built into the system. So this split would be like adding electrons to an atom then worrying about the mass it's gained. It's definitely added mass but it's such a minute amount compared to the proton and neutron that it's practically inconsequential. IOW, I expect we'll see no changes in the stocks volatility.

    When I said it was complicated, I didn't just mean the cost of the trade. I meant that as even lots are easier to sell, they sell just a few milliseconds quicker. Or sometimes seconds quicker, or even tens of seconds quicker. That can mean a few pennies on the sale, or buy. If you put in a lot of, say 76 shares, it will linger longer than if you put one in at 50 or 100. All these trades are being do e electronically, and the sell quote and buy quotes need to match up. It's just easier with even lots.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    That's incorrect. You can easily buy any number of shares. Got $650? Buy one share. Piece of cake.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gwmac wrote: »
    You are the first person to mention 1 trillion.

    I am aware. I did post it after all. And, yes, it is relevant to discussion of "what-ifs" since it's the milestone that follows a pre-split $1000 per share.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post



    Breaking Apple news:



    Dr. Dre buys Gisele and Tom Brady's mansion for $40M

    http://pagesix.com/2014/06/05/dr-dre-buys-gisele-and-tom-bradys-mansion-for-40m/

    It's going to be a long commute each day to his office at Apple.


     

    Gulfstream V (or whatever is trendy with the billionaires these days) will get him there lickety-split!

  • Reply 50 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    maccentric wrote: »
    I got an E-Mail from Scottrade with all of the details and they also wrote about it in their blog which gets E-Mailed as well.

    I wouldn't imagine that people would go crazy for too long considering that after a brief moment of panic, they would login to their account and notice that the value was about what they would expect and that they posess a much larger quantity of shares.

    I would hope that most owners of the stock would know about the split by now. The touchy point is for those who check after hour trading, and see that the stock has been suspended.

    Heh. I hardly ever read anything from them. Never anything of use to me.
  • Reply 51 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    chabig wrote: »
    That's incorrect. You can easily buy any number of shares. Got $650? Buy one share. Piece of cake.

    Not always easy to buy one share.
  • Reply 52 of 111
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    I am aware. I did post it after all. And, yes, it is relevant to discussion of "what-ifs" since it's the milestone that follows a pre-split $1000 per share.

    I understand that, but simply thought your point could have been made without quoting me at all. It stood on it's own merits as a separate discussion. It actually was an interesting tidbit of info. $165 seems a lot further down the road than $142 when your stating point is now around $90. 

  • Reply 53 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I am aware. I did post it after all. And, yes, it is relevant to discussion of "what-ifs" since it's the milestone that follows a pre-split $1000 per share.

    Ever since Apple first went north of $400 billion the question of them hitting $1 trillion has been discussed on the financial pages. It's harder now with all the buybacks.

    But one guy, after an entire article as to why Apple would NEVER hit it, ended up concluding that it couldn't be done because it hadn't been done. In other words, because no company had ever hit a trillion, Apple couldn't either. A terrible argument. A really, really dumb argument.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    Not always easy to buy one share.

     

    This is true. After all, it is a stock market, which is composed of buyers and sellers. If no one is willing to sell just one share, no one will be buying just one share.

  • Reply 55 of 111
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    melgross wrote: »
    magic_al wrote: »
    Will anybody freak out on Monday if they don't know about the split and see Apple's stock price displayed out of context?

    My broker just called me to let me know, and to also tell me that it won't be available for after hours trading Friday. He knows I know this, but he's calling all the Apple clients.

    I haven't checked my emails to see if Scottrade is letting me know this on my account there.

    Scottrade did a generic split email yesterday and a specific AAPL split email today.
  • Reply 56 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Scottrade did a generic split email yesterday and a specific AAPL split email today.

    I suppose I should look at what they have to say about it.

    Ok, looked. It gives the very basics, plus a little boiler plate at the bottom about availability.
  • Reply 57 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    melgross wrote: »
    Ever since Apple first went north of $400 billion the question of them hitting $1 trillion has been discussed on the financial pages. It's harder now with all the buybacks.

    But one guy, after an entire article as to why Apple would NEVER hit it, ended up concluding that it couldn't be done because it hadn't been done. In other words, because no company had ever hit a trillion, Apple couldn't either. A terrible argument. A really, really dumb argument.

    Unless there is some reason that economic growth will come to a halt forever it will happen, and based on the rate of change it should happen in our lifetime. It may not be Apple first (or at all) but the odds are it will happen.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    melgross wrote: »
    Not always easy to buy one share.

    It's super easy. I put in an order for share and it's executed immediately. Every online broker does this. If you're talking about "full service" (I.e., expensive) broker assisted firms, you may be right.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Closed @ $647.35 -- IDK how to convert that to cubic centimeters ...
  • Reply 60 of 111
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member

    Just got alert on my iPhone. Dow and S&P closed at record highs today

Sign In or Register to comment.