Apple, Inc to split stock 7-1 after Friday June 6 market close

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    This is true. After all, it is a stock market, which is composed of buyers and sellers. If no one is willing to sell just one share, no one will be buying just one share.

When it comes to something like that, it's more a question of who is willing to buy one share, rather than someone willing to sell one. That's why there are companies you can go to to buy one share (and get the certificate).
  • Reply 62 of 111
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    This is true. After all, it is a stock market, which is composed of buyers and sellers. If no one is willing to sell just one share, no one will be buying just one share.

It's the market maker's job to fill your order, and they will. Somewhat unintuitively, it's the really large orders that are harder to fill.
  • Reply 63 of 111
    chabig wrote: »
    It's super easy. I put in an order for share and it's executed immediately. Every online broker does this. If you're talking about "full service" (I.e., expensive) broker assisted firms, you may be right.

You're lucky. I know of cases where people put orders in for a few shares and waited for an hour before it went thought. They had to buy at market to do that too.
  • Reply 64 of 111
    melgross wrote: »
    You're lucky. I know of cases where people put orders in for a few shares and waited for an hour before it went thought. They had to buy at market to do that too.

Don't blame the order size for delayed execution when the trader used a limit order, and the market wasn't willing to meet their price.
  • Reply 65 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Good close today... $647.35.

• Reply 66 of 111
    Don't blame the order size for delayed execution when the trader used a limit order, and the market wasn't willing to meet their price.

Order size is part of that.
  • Reply 67 of 111
    Good close today... $647.35.

Actually, I'm disappointed. It started out well moving up about $4.50 quickly. But as the market slumped early, it never recovered, even though the market picked up again. The Nasdaq closed up around 1%. I expected Apple to track around that, and break $650 in closing. Came pretty close early on.
  • Reply 68 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Gulfstream V (or whatever is trendy with the billionaires these days) will get him there lickety-split!

Yeah - that, three hos and an eight-ball.  Should make for a good music video.

• Reply 69 of 111
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

Apple shares completely lost momentum and will be unlikely to reach $650 pre-split.  Without any new hardware, even with the split coming, investors aren't going to give away any more money to Apple to drive up the share price.  Investors are busily pouring money into Amazon because of the Amazon smartphone with the revolutionary 3D UI and half-dozen cameras.  Investors see the Amazon smartphone far more exciting than Apple's iPhone 6.  Most of Wall Street is rather certain Jeff Bezos doesn't make mistakes and this new smartphone will greatly cut into iPhone market share.  Amazon will probably offer it at a very low cost and provide lots of free initial content for it just to get consumers to buy it.  It's quite amazing that only a short teaser of the Amazon smartphone has been shown and already Wall Street is going crazy over it.  A 5% share price pop for an unannounced smartphone is only something Amazon could pull off.  Wall Street really has a lot of faith in Amazon.

• Reply 70 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Investors see the Amazon smartphone far more exciting than Apple's iPhone 6.

And that’s nonsense.

Most of Wall Street is rather certain Jeff Bezos doesn't make mistakes...

The more he does, the bigger the explosion when Amazon inevitably falls.

• Reply 71 of 111
    Order size is part of that.

You need a new broker. Right away.
  • Reply 72 of 111
    Actually, I'm disappointed. It started out well moving up about $4.50 quickly. But as the market slumped early, it never recovered, even though the market picked up again. The Nasdaq closed up around 1%. I expected Apple to track around that, and break $650 in closing. Came pretty close early on.

Wel'll see where it goes tomorrow. Could get interesting.
  • Reply 73 of 111
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Breaking Apple news:

Dr. Dre buys Gisele and Tom Brady's mansion for $40M

http://pagesix.com/2014/06/05/dr-dre-buys-gisele-and-tom-bradys-mansion-for-40m/

Who are Gisele and Tom Brady?

• Reply 74 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Who are Gisele and Tom Brady?

An American football player and his model wife.

• Reply 75 of 111
    Apple shares completely lost momentum and will be unlikely to reach $650 pre-split.  Without any new hardware, even with the split coming, investors aren't going to give away any more money to Apple to drive up the share price.  Investors are busily pouring money into Amazon because of the Amazon smartphone with the revolutionary 3D UI and half-dozen cameras.  Investors see the Amazon smartphone far more exciting than Apple's iPhone 6.  Most of Wall Street is rather certain Jeff Bezos doesn't make mistakes and this new smartphone will greatly cut into iPhone market share.  Amazon will probably offer it at a very low cost and provide lots of free initial content for it just to get consumers to buy it.  It's quite amazing that only a short teaser of the Amazon smartphone has been shown and already Wall Street is going crazy over it.  A 5% share price pop for an unannounced smartphone is only something Amazon could pull off.  Wall Street really has a lot of faith in Amazon.

Well, it would just mean a bit over two and a half bucks tomorrow. It's possible, unless there are a lot of cold feet.

As for Bezos, the market thinks he's a genius. I don't. I think he's pretty clever though. His biggest talent is making major investors think that huge profits are just around the corner.

This outsized interest in this phone, if indeed that's what it is, seems to be solely due to the fabled 3D UI we're hearing about. If so, that's a mistake. If they do have this then what it shows is that they haven't learned from history. The problems with 3DS films, and with a certain percentage of people getting ill from them.

Nintendo's problems with the 3DS, where they had to put a slider on the thing to cut down and eliminate any 3D effects, effects that were to be used for gameplay, but couldn't, because users from around 13 and below would suffer visual growth I late,ent from it.

And of course, from Apple, whose rather minor 3D effects for the background on its mobile devices reportedly also maki g some people I'll, and which were toned down with an update.

I don't know how this will fare, but it doesn't seem like a good idea. Amazon needed some major feature to brag about, and this is it, apparently. Otherwise, why buy one?
  • Reply 76 of 111
    You need a new broker. Right away.

No. That's just the way it works.
  • Reply 77 of 111
    Wel'll see where it goes tomorrow. Could get interesting.

I'd like to see it break $650. I don't know if it's a real psychological barrier or not.
  • Reply 78 of 111
    No. That's just the way it works.

No. Any broker should fill an order for one share at the same price and with the same speed as any other order. See post #20 to see several two share orders bring filled at normal prices.
  • Reply 79 of 111
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    "oberpongo wrote:
    It's like I don't mind if gas prices go up or down. I always fill for $50;-)

I guess that accomplishes some price averaging, but that would work even better in $10 increments--or heck, a buck at a time. Whatever the amount, it's inefficient in terms of how often you have to go to the station.
    What's your motivation? Or is it just habit?
  • Reply 80 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'd like to see it break $650. I don't know if it's a real psychological barrier or not.

I'm guessing we'll see a dramatic jump in the morning, like we've seen every morning for the past week. I have no intentions on selling anyway, but this is the new pattern (at least until the split).

Are you planning any buy-sell activity? I just buy and hold everything.