Apple's 'arrogance' wrought mediocre iTunes Radio and led to Beats buy, report says

123468

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 144
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

     

    Beats headphones have improved a little, but I would not recommend them at all. If you want a good pair of headphones, buy some V-Moda's. 


    I like the B&W's. But I want a single cord like the more expensive one not a double cord on the less expensive one.

  • Reply 102 of 144
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

     

     

    Overpriced junk, like Skull Candy.

     

    Sennheiser only get good above $200.

     

    Beats have 72% of the over $100 headphone market, they are only considered junk by a small segment of, largely irrelevant, self important audiophiles.


    NO- junk is junk. See Samsung, Microsoft, Acer, etc, etc, etc.

  • Reply 103 of 144
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

     

     

    Overpriced junk, like Skull Candy.

     

    Sennheiser only get good above $200.

     

    Beats have 72% of the over $100 headphone market, they are only considered junk by a small segment of, largely irrelevant, self important audiophiles.


     Dude, no way. V-moda's are used by a ton of musicians and DJ's in the studio. They are good headphones. Marketshare doesn't equal quality. Look at Samsung. Read all the professional negative reviews on Beats. They are overpriced junk. The people that like the Beats are younger people who like that over emphasized fake bass sound. 

  • Reply 104 of 144
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

     

     Dude, no way. V-moda's are used by a ton of musicians and DJ's in the studio


    At what price point?

     

    $7-800?

  • Reply 105 of 144
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    "Citing multiple anonymous sources, all the ladies claim SolipsismX is great in bed."





    It must be true¡

    Oooh do you have his number?

  • Reply 106 of 144
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frxntier View Post





    I understand what iTunes Match is. It doesn't matter what it costs. It's completely different to Spotify.



    With iTunes Match, I still have to own the song before I can listen to it. I still have to have an enormous music library. And what if I want to listen to an album immediately? I would have to buy it on iTunes.



    With Spotify, I can just type in the song, or any album, or browse any of my playlists and listen straight away.



    The 'full experience' assumes I have time and money to spend on a music library. Which I don't. It's cheaper to pay $12 a month than buy several $15 albums in a month. My Spotify library would cost thousands of dollars to purchase with iTunes. And iTunes Match is useful only if you have CDs or if you just pirate all your music. Or just to get rid of ads in iTunes Radio.

     

     

    I admit most of the music in my NAS comes from sharing with friends, with Spotify I now feel a little less guilty. I really like Spotify, it's crossed platform, something that iTunes Radio isn't and that I really need. The icing on the cake is that my kids mobile provider, Orange doesn't charge for data usage when using Spotify.

  • Reply 107 of 144
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pigybank View Post



    I'm kind of surprised AppleInsider bothered posting this tabloid BS trash. At least provide your own rebuttal or commentary on this garbage if you're going to bother regurgitating in on here. iTunes radio is in 3rd place, ahead of Spotify, so some "former employee" doesn't know what the iFCK they're talking about.



    Those numbers you are referring too are from a very small survey consisting of only 2,000 people in the US, it's accuracy is debatable, especially when almost every other survey on the matter contradicts it.

  • Reply 108 of 144
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    iTunes Radio streams music, the songs are selected by Apple's algorithms.

    Spotify streams music, the songs are selected by me.

    Which one do you think I prefer?

    iTunes Radio.
  • Reply 109 of 144
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Perhaps the fact that ITunes Radio, which didn't play properly for me for the first six months (always skipped and stuttered even when on Fios), never plays anything I want to hear provoked this deal.

    When you "shuffle" in itunes it's bad enough. You hear the same songs very often and over and over on a 10k library. It's a joke among those I know. Their algorithm for "random" isn't random, and if you hit 'play favorites more often' you don't hear any favorites. It's been broken for years.

    The fact that they collect my music catalog, with ratings, and can't find a song I would like on iTunes Radio is literally the most monumental oversight in digital history. Besides I.P. Theft of course.

    While were at it, let's talk about their algorithm for shuffling or randomly picking pictures for a screen saver from aperture...

    I regularly shuffle my playlists in iTunes, and haven't experienced the problems you mention. I use smart playlists and set it to play songs that are rated five stars, have fewer than x plays plus ones I haven't listened to in over a year. That way, there is a good variety.
  • Reply 110 of 144
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Spotify has 4x as many free subscribers versus paid subscribers. I've used Spotify for years and do not pay for it, so it's very much a free service. Just like iTunes Match, you can pay to remove ads, but that's about where the similarities end.

    I too pay for iTunes Match.

    The similarities end when you click the "o.k. I agree" button so Apple can get your song data and not play a single song you want to hear. Even if you've five stared 10,000 songs you won't hear one.

    I like the privacy stuff, however I did hit the "I agree button" for genius to read my songs. It's a waste. There's apparently two things at Apple that are not communicating with each other, at least on the iTunes Radio, and itunes front.


    I want to hear what everyone else is five staring in their library. Isn't that what we agreed to?

    Eddy? You there?

    It also gets pretty sick when you plug in your iPhone and it takes 45 minutes to sync your iPhone over a USB 3 connection because it's syncing "genius data". When you look at it in itunes it looks like your syncing your entire library, only with no benefit.

    I say USB 3 because there's no way to plug one into a thunderbolt port directly.

    I've had your syncing freeze. If it happens again, just stop the sync, quit iTunes and start again. It fixes the problem and syncs speedily.
  • Reply 111 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I too pay for iTunes Match.

    The similarities end when you click the "o.k. I agree" button so Apple can get your song data and not play a single song you want to hear.

    iTunes Match plays every song I want to hear because they are MY SONGS. They all show up on all my devices and I can play from the cloud to store them locally by playlist, album, artist, or just an individual song here or there.
  • Reply 112 of 144
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brianr4666 View Post



    This story is wrought with error. When WSJ broke down the deal, it was just the opposite price 500 million for Beats Music and 2.5 billion for Beats Electronics. How hard is it to do some fact checking?

    http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-paying-just-under-500-million-for-beats-music-streaming-service-1401403287

    Looks like Rupert buying the WSG has had an effect on making it more suitable for lining puppy pens.

  • Reply 113 of 144
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 960member

    I have no idea what these people are blathering about.

     

    I'll be the first to criticize when Apple screws up.

     

    But this isn't one of those cases. 

     

    iTunes Radio kicks Spotify's and Pandora's asses.  It's a MUCH MUCH better service.

     

    iTunes has a cleaner interface, it's easier to use, and it auto-picks bands I don't hate as long as I set a good starting point.  No, I'm afraid they're going to make a horrible mess of it with this stupid Beats acquisition, but at least for now iTunes Radio wipes the floor with every other streaming service.

  • Reply 114 of 144
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    darkvader wrote: »
    I have no idea what these people are blathering about.

    I'll be the first to criticize when Apple screws up.

    But this isn't one of those cases. 

    iTunes Radio kicks Spotify's and Pandora's asses.  It's a MUCH MUCH better service.

    iTunes has a cleaner interface, it's easier to use, and it auto-picks bands I don't hate as long as I set a good starting point.  No, I'm afraid they're going to make a horrible mess of it with this stupid Beats acquisition, but at least for now iTunes Radio wipes the floor with every other streaming service.

    I really like Spotify but I have to admit I haven't really used iTunes Radio all that much, I did play with it though for at least a couple of days and wasn't impressed, Spotify just offered so much more. Plus I have never been a real fan of iTunes anyway. I think it has a lot do with that I use other OS's so I'm a real fan of cross platform applications. I can run Spotify on Linux, Windows, OSX, iOS, Android, W8 Mobile and of course the web for those times I'm using my ChromeBox,Sparc and SGI workstation, something iTunes Radio doesn't offer. Not to mention the amount of apps that has integrated Spotify into them like Djay or Pacemaker for iOS, again something that iTunes Radio doesn't offer, so you don't need to use their interface if your unhappy with it for any reason. There are also third party apps that connect to Spotify's services that have completely rewritten the user interface for an entirely new experience like Spotlite for W8. You say you don't like Spotify, fine but saying that iTunes Radio kicks its ass is not a very fair statement as Spotify is infinitely more flexible. If your developer you can use Spotifys API's to make your own music player and use whatever interface that fits your fancy, which again iTunes Radio doesn't offer. In Europe quite a few mobile providers have Spotify as an additional service, not only are they charging less than the normal monthly fee but are also not penalizing people's data while using it, so you can listen to as much music as you want and won't see a single data charge and again something that iTunes doesn't offer. The biggest thing though and this really seperates Spotify from iTunes Radio, is that you can download music for offline listening, fast forward a song, skip as many songs as you want and it doesn't stop playing after 2 hours if there is no activity. So maybe your being a little too biased here, just saying.
  • Reply 115 of 144
    solipsismx wrote: »
    iTunes Match plays every song I want to hear because they are MY SONGS. They all show up on all my devices and I can play from the cloud to store them locally by playlist, album, artist, or just an individual song here or there.

    True, my mistake.

    I was confused between iTunes Radio and iTunes Match. What I meant to say originally, if I hadn't, is why don't they use all the "Genius Data" that's constantly syncing between my devices to improve the song selection in iTunes Radio.

    Also, using iTunes Match only works so long as you have some type of connection. Any type of connection. Thinking it's a great way to free up space on a device is not probably what it's meant for. I learned that the first time I used air travel after thinking the service was great. After that I disabled it on my devices, upgraded a few times and ran into the same problem while on a train. Now iTunes Match is I'd disabled on everything except my "media mini" which has everything media based I own on it anyway.

    Maybe it's great for some, but it got me twice while traveling for extended periods with absolutely NO media. Also, I have a ton of songs that are not matched that I imported from my CD's. So personally I couldn't say that I could listen to ALL of my songs using the service.

    I still have the service. It just renewed on me last month I believe, but I don't use it for much. Luckily the cost is negligible.

    If it works for you then great! :o)
  • Reply 116 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Also, using iTunes Match only works so long as you have some type of connection. Any type of connection.

    We've been over this. iTunes Match lets you have local DLs of any of your content which means you don't need a constant internet connection.
  • Reply 117 of 144
    solipsismx wrote: »
    We've been over this. iTunes Match lets you have local DLs of any of your content which means you don't need a constant internet connection.

    I concede. Perhaps it's changed since the las time I took advantage of that particular service.
  • Reply 118 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I concede. Perhaps it's changed since the las time I took advantage of that particular service.

    it hasn't changed. It's doing what it's done since day one, give or take some growing pains when people first tried to upload their iTunes libraries to Apple's server.
  • Reply 119 of 144
    solipsismx wrote: »
    it hasn't changed. It's doing what it's done since day one, give or take some growing pains when people first tried to upload their iTunes libraries to Apple's server.

    O.k. Then.

    Well I still have to thank everyone here, because I avoided it for the first year because of comments on this and other sites. :)
  • Reply 120 of 144
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post



    I concede. Perhaps it's changed since the las time I took advantage of that particular service.




    it hasn't changed. It's doing what it's done since day one, give or take some growing pains when people first tried to upload their iTunes libraries to Apple's server.

     

    I suspect Silver Shadow got caught out because when you first turn on iTunes Match on an iOS device, it removes all your local media and replaces it with what you have in iTunes Match. Maybe he didn't realise that you can then re-download everything if you so wish and still use iTunes Match.

     

    I do the same as you - keep my playlist of favourite tracks downloaded and the rest in the cloud.

Sign In or Register to comment.