Apple increases issued shares for 7-for-1 stock split in official SEC amendment

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'm not selling or buying any AAPL at the moment.

I was prepared to pick up some AAPL after the last earnings if it dropped, but as we all know, that didn't happen.

I'm holding. With a stop loss. Although I had to cancel that today because I wasn't sure how the stop loss would affect the share price dropping on Monday.

If they release some cool shit this year, I think it should be NICE!
  • Reply 62 of 90
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I'm holding. With a stop loss. Although I had to cancel that today because I wasn't sure how the stop loss would affect the share price dropping on Monday.

I agree that AAPL definitely has some momentum going for it right now, and it will probably only get better when they start to release all of their awaited products later this year. 

I'm going to see how AAPL trades these next few weeks right after the split, because I would like to pick some up, but I am always cautious, since I will never forget that insane drop from 700 to 390, that was just ridiculous.

Unless I'm doing a real short term day trade or swing trade, I don't use any stop losses at all. If I buy some AAPL for the longterm, then I don't intend to sell for a while, and especially not if it drops by a certain percentage. It'll eventually recover, even if it takes months or a year, so a stop loss just means losing money as far as I'm concerned. When a stock drops a lot, that is when it's a good time to be buying, not selling, in my opinion.

• Reply 63 of 90
    I agree that AAPL definitely has some momentum going for it right now, and it will probably only get better when they start to release all of their awaited products later this year. 

I'm going to see how AAPL trades these next few weeks right after the split, because I would like to pick some up, but I am always cautious, since I will never forget that insane drop from 700 to 390, that was just ridiculous.

Unless I'm doing a real short term day trade or swing trade, I don't use any stop losses at all. If I buy some AAPL for the longterm, then I don't intend to sell for a while, and especially not if it drops by a certain percentage. It'll eventually recover, even if it takes months or a year, so a stop loss just means losing money as far as I'm concerned. When a stock drops a lot, that is when it's a good time to be buying, not selling, in my opinion.

Went to PM. I'm sure no one else want to hear about stocks...
  • Reply 64 of 90
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

I had heard the minimum amount one can purchase is ten shares. Fact or fiction?

This post sadly illustrates why one should not follow investing advice from anonymous Internet forums like AppleInsider.

• Reply 65 of 90
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

This post sadly illustrates why one should not follow investing advice from anonymous Internet forums like AppleInsider.

It's no different than any other subject that gets discussed on the internet. There's some good advice, there's some bad advice, there's some FUD and there's some noise. People need to be able to filter out the bad info and the wrong info from the good, because in the end, a person's finances are their own responsibility.

The same can be said of following the advice of many "Pros", like analysts etc. A lot them are totally clueless and often get it wrong too.

• Reply 66 of 90
    It's no different than any other subject that gets discussed on the internet. There's some good advice, there's some bad advice, there's some FUD and there's some noise. People need to be able to filter out the bad info and the wrong info from the good, because in the end, a person's finances are their own responsibility.

The same can be said of following the advice of many "Pros", like analysts etc. A lot them are totally clueless and often get it wrong too.

One only needs to look at a certain Jim Cramer and his public fund and obviously in retrospect see how valuable the information the "pros" have on anything regarding money. ...and he has a huge public following and show.

He's even written books on the subject. I find it hilarious that his biggest seller is "how to get back to EVEN". LOL!

I wouldn't take a shred of advice from a so called "Pro".

They're good to watch and listen to, but they have no more knowledge of how any company is going to go than you or I. They just have a public platform on which they tout their ideas.

I think there's almost a common adage that when the analysts say it's time to buy, it's time to sell, and vs visa.

Sorry Apple ][, this post was meant more towards mpantone.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's no different than any other subject that gets discussed on the internet.

No, it is not.

A recent problem is that many sites have gotten rid of the "thumbs down" rating.

A decent online forum would allow for community-based content rating, with a threshold for post viewing. Let's say a post got four "thumbs up" and seven "thumbs downs" ratings. That's a -3 rating. The individual user could set a post viewing threshold to not show posts below -1.

The key is for human-based moderators to make sure haters don't destroy a site.

If you want pure garbage, check out Yahoo Answers. It is stunningly atrocious.

The forum community rates content, not a person.

I realize that this might lead to some posts getting visibility as "popular" posts, rather than for accuracy, but human-based moderation for accuracy does not scale.

Just look at Slashdot. That place was an absolute train wreck before community-based scoring was introduced. The site never recovered to former levels, the site operators let is escape from them. There are plenty of other examples of online forums that have fallen out of favor because site operators were too late in implementing adequate measures in maintaining a high level of quality participation.

This site is following the same direction MacRumors has gone.

The funny thing is that private e-mail discussion lists with carefully-vetted members are probably the best source of information.

Worse, for investing, there are plenty of people here who aren't even old enough to own a brokerage account who make comments. I'm okay with people spouting off about operating systems, software, apps, peripherals, "what my brother/dad/uncle has", but some of the investment commentary shows that some don't even know the difference between revenue and profit.

Appalling.

• Reply 68 of 90
    mpantone wrote: »
    No, it is not.

A recent problem is that many sites have gotten rid of the "thumbs down" rating.

A decent online forum would allow for community-based content rating, with a threshold for post viewing. Let's say a post got four "thumbs up" and seven "thumbs downs" ratings. That's a -3 rating. The individual user could set a post viewing threshold to not show posts below -1.

The forum community rates content, not a person.

I disagree. Most of the posts on other sites that I've seen 'thumbed down" were clearly based on psychological reasons and not logic reasons.

Something I'm sure you've seen is "Apple is doomed" with over two hundred "thumbs up" while an actual factual and intellectual post is thumbed down over 1000 times.
  • Reply 69 of 90

Well, go figure. Slashdot is a shadow of its former self. During the worst time, the site's comment forum was completely unreadable.

If you think online Q&A forums are in largely good shape, enjoy. I cannot take that away from you.

• Reply 70 of 90
    Well, go figure. Slashdot is a shadow of its former self. During the worst time, the site's comment forum was completely unreadable.

If you think online Q&A forums are in largely good shape, enjoy. I cannot take that away from you.

I know it has a stigma around here, but if you're truly looking for Q&A type information Google is your friend. (Maybe I'll get banned)

Last I looked this is certainly not a Q&A site. It's a rumor, and I can't stress that enough, site. More useful information comes from the posters here than the actual articles.

However, here, fandom runs hot. So someone posting something that makes any sense what so ever would get "thumbed down" to obscurity from what you think should be implemented.

Shlashdot? If you're complaining about pre-pubescent people advising on stocks and you mention what's considers "the projects" of a site in the same post, you have somewhat placed yourself.
  • Reply 71 of 90

Worse, for investing, there are plenty of people here who aren't even old enough to own a brokerage account who make comments. I'm okay with people spouting off about operating systems, software, apps, peripherals, "what my brother/dad/uncle has", but some of the investment commentary shows that some don't even know the difference between revenue and profit.

Appalling.

The human based moderators placed most of my original posts on hold for 12 to 24 hours. Those posts were irrelevant by the time they were actually posted. So they're doing their job, unless you don't like my posts...

I agree that there are a lot of people here who do not even understand what a stock is, let alone an income stock, growth stock, or others. I also agree you should not take advice from anyone here on stocks. I recommend you do your own research, and I would hope you listen to, but not blindly follow the so called "pro's". They're just regular people and they can offer you insights, but don't let them influence your decisions too much.

In stocks there are no rules. There are no absolutes. It's a huge psychological experiment based on faith (money). Taking advice from anyone, "pro" (which there are few and you'll never get advice from them) or individuals, only means you can point a finger at someone if you lose.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

The human based moderators placed most of my original posts on hold for 12 to 24 hours. 

Nope, that’s Huddler automation. It automatically flags posts from accounts it thinks are spam or previously banned users.

• Reply 73 of 90
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Mr Odo is smoking weed again! hey dude if you are so fearful, why don't you do a buy some stock, when it splits then protect the downside by buying some long terms PUT options (LEAPS) at $140 which will give you the right to sell them at $140 if the stock tanks? thus limiting your downside?
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Edited.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    I'm not selling or buying any AAPL at the moment.

I was prepared to pick up some AAPL after the last earnings if it dropped, but as we all know, that didn't happen.

Not so sure I want to buy cold faeces from Apple, but great new or updated products would be welcome.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    thedbathedba Posts: 776member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yukari Kane claimed the response to WWDC was the most tepid she's seen in 6 years (not sure what WWDC she was watching).
    Don't forget that she has a book out, whose entire premise is that after SJ, Apple is dead in the water. Doesn't make it right, just pointing out her motivation.
    If you want to see the responses she got from the statement, here they are, for your reading pleasure.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Not so sure I want to buy cold faeces from Apple, but great new or updated products would be welcome.

My brother and I have taken to calling post split Apple as "Apple Sauce". That's usually cold. On the other, ....shouldn't say ...shouldn't say, ah heck. I can deliver on demand.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    My brother and I have taken to calling post split Apple as "Apple Sauce". That's usually cold. On the other, ....shouldn't say ...shouldn't say, ah heck. I can deliver on demand.

What are you babbling about, man?
  • Reply 79 of 90
    What are you babbling about, man?

Usually when I babble it's about things that make no sense but are utterly awesome! Things like Spam Sandwitches!
  • Reply 80 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Usually when I babble it's about things that make no sense but are utterly awesome! Things like Spam Sandwitches!

It would be nice if AI modified the mobile site so I could block you without going into desktop mode.

Edit: I'm back...and you're blocked. Goodbye.