Vessyl iOS-connected smart cup analyzes, tracks what you drink

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Why would I want a $500 device when I can use a pay phone?

Why would you want a $500,000 airplane when you can buy a plane ticket?

• Reply 42 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

I wonder if it can tell if my drink has a date rape drug in it?

Take a tricorder reading. This handy plot device tells you whatever you want to know.

• Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The first one makes no sense - I am not paying $500 for a phone. The notion that an iPhone is a phone is silly. It is called a phone because before the iPhone that is pretty much what you got. If there were no cell phones before the iPhone, would it still be called an iPhone? I doubt it.

Your second question is what I am talking about. 

Email is a letter improved. 

Too much time on your hands. Anyway, if you use a calorie counter to see if you are in shape you are misguided.

Seriously? Post-it notes?

Cuz your a geek.

I think your logic sucks and this has little to do with laziness

sigh................</s>

• Reply 44 of 51
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

not so fast, this seems like its just a lot more effort - washing it out so i can pour my yoghurt in it, then washing it out for my soda from a can - then - well you get the idea. Ohh can't wait to have to remember it when i go out for drinks after work, and to breakfast the next day - 

yes I'm too lazy to use one of these

Exactly. Collecting the information you want from this device will be horribly painful.  This is a classic example of someone that had a "great idea" and convinced an idiot investor to put money in it without thinking through the customer experience. DOA.

• Reply 45 of 51
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    boc wrote: »
    I call BS.

You can't do spectroscopic analysis to tell just what is in drinks and know it is accurate unless you can do calibration.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out you need to tell it that you are drinking a "diet Coke" for it to give any half-way decent results.

Totally agree. If anyone thinks this device is going to deduce the nutritional contents based on sensor readings, they don't know much about chemical analysis techniques and are putting too much faith in these guys' marketing hype.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I wonder if it can sense ball sweat or urine. If it does, I hope my manager doesn't buy one, that'd really give the game away.:D
  • Reply 47 of 51
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member

OK, let's face it. This is a bit like a solution looking for a problem. I'm getting one though. I know I don't drink enough water, and if a cool little app and cup make it a challenge to actually do what I was supposed to do in the first place, why not? Always good to have goals :). For $199 it's definitely too expensive, but for $99 why not? It will drive my mother-in-law nuts too, which is an added bonus. She loves the useless tech I buy, and always wonders where she needs to go to get it...

• Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I wonder if it can sense ball sweat or urine. If it does, I hope my manager doesn't buy one, that'd really give the game away.image

A different secretion came to mind, but I decided to keep the forums clean. Use your imagination :)

• Reply 49 of 51
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    For $0 I can read the nutrition label on what I'm about to drink, requires no batteries, and is dishwasher safe.
    But you can also use smoke signals instead off your Galaxy S4. Will even work better ;)
  • Reply 50 of 51

I am very curious as to whether or not the technology described is "reasonably feasible". Dozens (?) of gadget blogs, FOX, NBC, Comedy Central, and even Forbes have shared the basic Press Release and promotional videos about Vessyl without making any attempts at verifying the seller's claims.

Rather than hijack this thread (though comments are welcome), I have opened my query as a new Question on Quora. Please feel welcome to follow and/or Answer.

Thanks! (The blue question text is a hyperlink to Quora).

Quote:

Regarding the Vessyl product: Do their promotional materials / press releases and Facebook posts realistically describe a viable technology (i.e., technology capable of mass production and sufficient accuracy at a $199 retail price point)? [Please see Question Details for some example specific product claims made by Vessel...].

[NB: Italics are my added emphasis, quoted text unchanged.]

- "Vessyl can do all that thanks to a proprietary technology that analyzes the molecular content of each drink" [Vessyl: A Cup That Uses Molecular Analysis To Track Everything You Drink - Gizmodo]

Facebook quotes (responded to by official Vessyl commenter) [https://www.facebook.com/VessylbyMarkOne]

- "Brian Kessler Vessyl,  I've got a couple questions.  Say, hypothetically, I take a  can of tuna  and blend it in ten ounces of water.  Can your product still count the  calories?  What if I use a normal protein powder? Thanks.

-----

Vessyl Brian, yes Vessyl can detect the protein with you protein shake. Your Vessyl   is really intended for your everyday beverages, it tracks all of the   nutritional information that is important to maintaining your healthy   lifestyle."

- "Detlef Schrempf When i don't pour a Coke into it, will it tell me that it's not a Coke?

-----

Vessyl Your  Vessyl will launch with an extensive global database. If the beverage  is included in the database, it will show up, through the app you will  also know the nutritional makeup of the beverage regardless of whether  it can determine the brand or not."

• Reply 51 of 51
    Cool!! pre older now 50% Discount: http://goo.gl/EOvlcm