New York Times seeks to profile Tim Cook after getting shut out by Apple

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    charlituna wrote: »
    The NYT has gone from respectable paper to hit whore like the rest, making up crap for ad money. Not a shock Apple cut them off.
    But they got quotes from Jony Ive. Did he talk to the Times without approval from Cook or Apple PR?
  • Reply 42 of 139
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Please just shut up and go away. You don't comprehend the topic of discussion, so why not just not reply?

     

    THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT, DINGUS. 


     

    Coincidentally I only came across the word 'dingus' yesterday on a forum answer where someone wondered how they can get sound from their mac mini when their monitor has no speakers. Reminds me of the blonde who upon being directed to the toilet and being told 'there's no door', asked 'well how the f**k am I supposed to get in'.

  • Reply 43 of 139
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post



    The NYT has gone from respectable paper to hit whore like the rest, making up crap for ad money. Not a shock Apple cut them off.

     

    There is no accountability with journalism, stock analysts, etc. on the internet. Imagine if each of these blowhards got a rating for their work over their career. Imagine what Gene Munster's rating would be.

  • Reply 44 of 139
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    I'm not saying anything derogatory about Apple, just stating the fact that they haven't developed anything different than when Jobs was the helm. Everything they've done have been spec bumps. One can't even argue with new Mac Pro as all it was was a radical redesign!

    If you guys don't see the history repeating itself now from the last absence of Jobs, I highly recommend researching it a little. They need to continue breaking into new markets and growing that way. They aren't meant to be #1 in any particular slice of the industry, lateral expansion is the only way for long term success. They are not doing it (yet, hopefully).
  • Reply 45 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

    Jeez, Cook could sneeze in a napkin and a lot of you would applaud.

     

    Eh, I've seen greener phlegm.

     

    Listen, I'm not saying anything derogatory about Apple...


     

    Lies aren't derogatory now?

     

    ...just stating the fact that they haven't developed anything different than when Jobs was the helm.


     

    And in what 5D branch of our 7D treed universe is this a fact, exactly? Because it certainly isn't in ours.

     
     If you guys don't see the history repeating itself now from the last absence of Jobs, I highly recommend researching it a little. 

     

    Oh, the irony.

     

    They need to continue breaking into new markets and growing that way.


     

    I'd love for you to tell us how they're not doing that, but I doubt you could even come up with the "can't prove a negative" cop out.

     

    They aren't meant to be #1 in any particular slice of the industry, lateral expansion is the only way for long term success.


     

    Despite having always been a vertical company. :no::???::wow: 

  • Reply 46 of 139
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    The truth is that it would in fact be hard for Apple to come up with the next huge thing even if Steve Jobs was still here and in perfect health. iPhone is so big it is Apple. ipad a distant 2nd and macs, ipods, Apple TV, app store, itunes all a very very distant almost rounding error 3rd.

    Even Steve Jobs was the steward of Apple TV and that on its own sold enough to generate a few billion in revenue which if that was my company or most it would be fantastic. Under huge Apple it doesn't even move the needle. Apple in this regards is a victim of its huge success.

    I believe iWatch will be like Apple TV. It may generate a couple billion but like Apple TV, macs, ipods it will amount to just a rounding error.

    Apple is running out of room for growth as it all has to come from iphone upgrades now. iPads are in decline as noted in last quarter so some of the air pocket will be taken up by iphone 6 but after the big screen megacycle is over I fear another huge one is not coming. Just the regular steady flat to slow decline iphone upgrade cycle which gets longer and longer plus margin pressure as decent competitors price at $0 on contract (i.e. Samsung S5 is $99 right now on upgrade or 2 year contract and by time iPhone 6 launches Samsung will go to $0).

    Tim Cook is doing a fine job running the company but to expect him to pull a Steve Jobs iphone or ipad rabbit out of his hat is asking alot. Even Steve Jobs (remember Apple TV) may not have been able to do one big enough to move the needle. We'll never know for sure but something to think about.
  • Reply 47 of 139
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    You are completely psychotic.
    [URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/44610/]
    [/URL]

    Dude, seriously? Go ahead and read that for yourself there Mr "Apple is still innovating and will never ever be wrong". C'mon you're better than this.
  • Reply 48 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

    Dude, seriously? Go ahead and read that for yourself there Mr "Apple is still innovating and will never ever be wrong". C'mon you're better than this.

     

    Nice strawman. How about you just stop lying instead?

  • Reply 49 of 139
    tsun zutsun zu Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post



    It seems like many sites are negative towards Apple. Not sure why.

     

    The Media needs to make money. So, they will print whatever their sponsors (advertisers, paid articles) want them to write.

     

    Do you believe the media hates Apple? No they don't. They just have to write these stories because they are paid for it.

  • Reply 50 of 139
    My Mother has always been a big fan of the NYTimes. I have subscribed for a short while, but never seemed to get enough to warrant the high cost. Last time I cancelled they kept sending us papers and bills for 3 months.

    NY Times is dying and this weak journalism is strong evidence of how painful their situation has become. We need strong journalists to keep an open society. This is not a good thing, but it is real.
  • Reply 51 of 139
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    Jeez, Cook could sneeze in a napkin and a lot of you would applaud. Listen, I'm not saying anything derogatory about Apple, just stating the fact that they haven't developed anything different than when Jobs was the helm. Everything they've done have been spec bumps. One can't even argue with new Mac Pro as all it was was a radical redesign!

    If you guys don't see the history repeating itself now from the last absence of Jobs, I highly recommend researching it a little. They need to continue breaking into new markets and growing that way. They aren't meant to be #1 in any particular slice of the industry, lateral expansion is the only way for long term success. They are not doing it (yet, hopefully).

    Weak sauce arguments. No other company is held to the same "innovate or doom" standard that people like you claim to be Apple's exclusive fate. If none of the evolutionary improvements Apple has done since 2010 matches the standard of "good enough to avoid doom" what does that say about the Googles and the Samsungs of the world? They didn't invent the modern smartphone or tablet. Google's last innovation was PageRank. Everything else is monkey see, monkey do. Yet only Apple must "innovate or doom." Why? Oh that's right: you hold the copycats to a lower standard of "copy Apple's formula fast or doom."
  • Reply 52 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Weak sauce arguments. No other company is held to the same "innovate or doom" standard that people like you claim to be Apple's exclusive fate. If none of the evolutionary improvements Apple has done since 2010 matches the standard of "good enough to avoid doom" what does that say about the Googles and the Samsungs of the world? They didn't invent the modern smartphone or tablet. Google's last innovation was PageRank. Everything else is monkey see, monkey do. Yet only Apple must "innovate or doom." Why? Oh that's right: you hold the copycats to a lower standard of "copy Apple's formula fast or doom."
    I'm no fan of Google but to say their last innovation was page rank? Seriously? That's like saying Apple's last innovation was the GUI.
  • Reply 53 of 139
    NYTimes Brian Chen and Matt Richtel must be fans of Fox News. They aspire to be like Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck.
  • Reply 54 of 139
    red oakred oak Posts: 929member
    Daniel, great piece as always, which is why we cherish your appearances on my radio show, The Tech Night Owl LIVE.

    Interesting that the NY Times "reporters" never mentioned iOS 8 or Yosemite. To them, WWDC was all about Swift, though the name isn't mentioned, and Health (not HealthKit).

    But the Times also hired Molly Wood, formerly of CNET, as a tech contributor. She never met a fact she couldn't mangle. And I speak from experience, having worked with her at CNET. She mangled one of my articles as well and ignored me when I asked her to correct the piece.

    Peace,
    Gene Steinberg
    www.technightowl.com

    Gene, love your show

    Molly is the worst. Her attempted iMessage takedown article couple of weeks back was riddled with errors. The editor added a note to that effect, but then they removed it from the article. NY Times tech is a joke
  • Reply 55 of 139
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Google but to say their last innovation was page rank? Seriously? That's like saying Apple's last innovation was the GUI.
    Edit: was supposed to be a reply to SuddenlyNewton

    Of course I hold Apple to a higher standard lol. But tell me, what have they done since the ipad? Sure they can coast that ride for a while but why? They have the ability to expand out but they're not doing it- why not? And if you want to compare Apple to Google as far as innovation, you might wanna read up on some of their projects like driverless cars and asteroid mining.
    Listen, all I'm saying is that Apple isn't the Willy Wonka of the tech world anymore. They're now the new Ford- they started the car game and released the Mustang and that's been pretty much it since. Is that what you want from Apple? I sure as hell don't. I want them to get their hands into just about everything physical in the world and do it right. It's a shame you guys don't feel that way, instead you wanna keep making excuses for them.
  • Reply 56 of 139
    So true. We must remember those who control NY Times. They don't believe in "fair and balanced" news. I'm going to enrage many, but my ex, my former father-in-law and 2 very close friends worked for Steve Jobs and he was unpleasant and volatile to put it it mildly. He was a visionary; that is true, but he was dependent on those who actually did the tech work. He would fire people at will, calling then names that I won't repeat. His "two weeks notice" became "okay, consider yourself fired two weeks ago. There's your two weeks notice". Tim Cook is taking a beating from all sides and I'm tired of the "if Steve Jobs was there...." Because it's not fair to the employees, who worked around the clock for many of Jobs visions" which never panned out. He was one of the driving forces behind Apple, but he had a lot of help in developing the iPod, iPhone and computers. There are many former employees who became the object of the infamous Steve Jobs "wrath" and some of his actions were unconscionable. Apple has continued to make superior products with Tim Cook at the helm. Give credit where credit is due. And frankly, I'd no more read the NY Times than cover my phone with Hello Kitty decals.
  • Reply 57 of 139

    Great editorial!!!

    Wonder if Richtel and Chen own Apple stock and if they're trying to manipulate the price.

  • Reply 58 of 139
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,814member
    Being "disappointed" is a relative perception and not really something you can measure with pure numbers.  A company being measured by meeting or failing to meet "expectations" is another relative thing that can't be measured, but this is how Apple is being measured by the news media and Wall Street.  Even having more than enough can certainly make humans feel disappointed.  It's hard for me to understand how Wall Street can be disappointed with the most valuable publicly traded company on the planet by a huge amount.  It doesn't quite make sense if you measure the numbers, but yet the feelings of disappointment still exist in an overbearing way.  People still argue that Tim Cook isn't doing "enough" for Apple and "investors".  I suppose it's all a matter of greed that causes Apple to be considered a disappointment or failing to meet expectations.  I'm sure it can't be much more than that because Apple's actual financial numbers should be considered impressive to practically anyone.  They're huge numbers unless you compare them to the number of stars in the sky or grains of sand on a beach.

    Whether Steve Jobs could have done better than Tim Cook we will never know but as Apple stands now, as a company, it still looks pretty impressive to me.  However, I've learned to temper my expectations and look at Apple compared to most tech companies and Apple doesn't seem to come up short to any of them.

    Oh god, Odo, weren't you the guy who was constantly ragging on Tim Cook for not doing enough to please Wall Street and thus causing AAPL to tank? There you were, post after off-topic post, screeching about how Apple's stock price has fallen so far and how it is all Tim's fault. Well, look at you now! The voice of level-headed reason, running interference for Mr. Cook, as if the old shrill Odo never even existed. I might vomit.

    Aah, but then again, the original Constable Odo was a shape shifter of remarkable ability.
  • Reply 59 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    But tell me, what have they done since the ipad?.

    LOL

    Does anyone want to take the time to post the hundreds, if not thousands, of industry leading advancements Apple has made since the iPad in 2010?
  • Reply 60 of 139
    solipsismx wrote: »
    LOL

    Does anyone want to take the time to post the hundreds, if not thousands, of industry leading advancements Apple has made since the iPad in 2010?

    No, but I'll post the one that haters get upset about. The A7 processor - the worlds most advanced mobile ARM processor that's so far ahead of Samsung and Qualcomm that even one year later they're still behind. Even ARM's own high-end 64bit processor (the A57) is inferior to the A7, and it's not even shipping yet.

    NOBODY in mobile is even close to Apple in processor design.
Sign In or Register to comment.