New York Times seeks to profile Tim Cook after getting shut out by Apple

123457»

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 139
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jpellino wrote: »
    "you might wanna read up on some of their projects like driverless cars and asteroid mining"

    Yeah, because that's where personal tech is going, and Apple needs to emulate them.  

    Google is in this way a bit like a lottery winner.  They are going to buy that marble fountain to put out in front of their six-room prefab ranch.  Yes, it's impressive, but it's still a bit of a head-shake.  They want to be Elon Musk.  They just don't have the vision, they don't know how to monetize these Very Big Ideas and they tend to think out loud.  

    99% of what Google is doing now is search, ads, storage, storage-called-cloud-because-people-think-that's-more-important-than-just-saying-storage, an Office clone, weblogs, shopping, music, mail, cal, maps, books, app store, photos, and a desktop and mobile OS.  

    So, purty much Apple, just a different name on the treehouse and other kids to play with.  

    The only "moonshot" project Google is working on that makes sense to me is Google Fiber.
  • Reply 122 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post



    "you might wanna read up on some of their projects like driverless cars and asteroid mining"



    Yeah, because that's where personal tech is going, and Apple needs to emulate them.  



    Google is in this way a bit like a lottery winner.  They are going to buy that marble fountain to put out in front of their six-room prefab ranch.  Yes, it's impressive, but it's still a bit of a head-shake.  They want to be Elon Musk.  They just don't have the vision, they don't know how to monetize these Very Big Ideas and they tend to think out loud.  



    99% of what Google is doing now is search, ads, storage, storage-called-cloud-because-people-think-that's-more-important-than-just-saying-storage, an Office clone, weblogs, shopping, music, mail, cal, maps, books, app store, photos, and a desktop and mobile OS.  



    So, purty much Apple, just a different name on the treehouse and other kids to play with.  




    The only "moonshot" project Google is working on that makes sense to me is Google Fiber.

     

    Even then, I would say that they have a less than even chance of making significant profit with it. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that even breaking even is not a given, though I suppose they might eventually; it depends how events pan out.

  • Reply 123 of 139
    jungmark wrote: »
    You still pushing this tripe? Apple has perhaps dozens of secret projects they are working and won't announce anything until it's ready for prime time. Google announces shit purely for PR and no where near consumer ready, if ever.

    The other unreasonable demand from these clowns is that Apple stick to a thee year cycle of game-changing, industry-disruptive "new market" product releases that Google and Samsung and Microsoft are ready to copy, once Apple shows the way. And if Apple should miss this three year cycle of innovation, Tim Cook will be blamed, Apple shall be declared in decline, and comparison to Google's high-publicity X lab projects shall be invoked to "prove" that Apple's best days are behind it.

    No other company is held to this unreasonable expectation.
  • Reply 124 of 139
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,305member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

     

    99% of what Google is doing now is search, ads, ....


    You could have stopped right there. (Well, I am exaggerating a bit: it's only 92%).

  • Reply 125 of 139
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 669member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

     

     

    Even then, I would say that they have a less than even chance of making significant profit with it. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that even breaking even is not a given, though I suppose they might eventually; it depends how events pan out.


    Yep.  Most places, the second cable company has never bothered to overlay a second cable system, so unless they have some magic, hard to imagine how they will profit from it.  Unless they're betting on net neutrality going completely wrong and being The Gatekeeper, or using a war chest to undercut existing cable, or linking the so far unlinkable...

  • Reply 126 of 139
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 669member
    Quote:

    The other unreasonable demand from these clowns is that Apple stick to a thee year cycle of game-changing, industry-disruptive "new market" product releases that Google and Samsung and Microsoft are ready to copy, once Apple shows the way. And if Apple should miss this three year cycle of innovation, Tim Cook will be blamed, Apple shall be declared in decline, and comparison to Google's high-publicity X lab projects shall be invoked to "prove" that Apple's best days are behind it.

    Fear not.  MS would never let their de-facto R&D department to fail in such a way.  

  • Reply 127 of 139
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,471member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    ...

     





    Apple's performance over the last year is leading the NASDAQ, the Dow and even beating Google, along with Microsoft, HP and of course, BlackBerry (Apple is the top blue line, above).

     

    ...


     

    "..and of course, Blackberry..."

     

    That says a lot right there.  Apple...from nowhere to leading the pack in just 7 years now.  But they have been for quite some time.

  • Reply 128 of 139
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

     

    This Chen guy sounds like an Asian Jayson Blair. A liar and a fraud of a journalist. I'm not at all surprised that the NYT would hire such a fraud and a liar of a journalist to pen any articles for them.

     

    The asshole couldn't have been more wrong. Japan is one of the countries in the world where the iPhone is most popular. What's his motive for lying through his teeth?

     

    The truth and the facts don't matter at all to many so-called tech journalists who write about Apple. 

     

    Many of them are merely terrible propagandists and liars, and they make Nazis like Goebbels look good in comparison.


    Truth and facts don't matter at all to MOST journalists. Remember what they do for a living...they write stuff and get paid for doing it.  Whether they write the truth or not is mostly immaterial.  In a couple of weeks the fact that they proved to be be absurd and inaccurate will not even be noticed.

  • Reply 129 of 139
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post



    We can hate on the Times for this (and many other things) all we want but the bottom line is that they're right. Since Jobs died, what new items has Apple come out with? Cook's done little more than polish up what's already available with pieces that should've been in there to begin with! Look at WWDC- all these software enhancements that's disguised by "innovation" are just things that we've all been wondering why we didn't have them from the get-go. If you think I'm wrong, then take your apple stuff out of their boxes and actually use them. Oooooh TouchID is now open to devs- that's something for a .1 bump. Not a whole years worth of R&D.

     

    what? so i imagine you believe all that innovative software covered at WWDC just....falls off trees? doesnt take time to think about, plan out, implement correctly, etc... c'mon, get real. 

     

    my idevices work very well out of the box. maybe youve broken yours?

  • Reply 130 of 139
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,585member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    We can hate on the Times for this (and many other things) all we want but the bottom line is that they're right. Since Jobs died, what new items has Apple come out with? Cook's done little more than polish up what's already available with pieces that should've been in there to begin with! Look at WWDC- all these software enhancements that's disguised by "innovation" are just things that we've all been wondering why we didn't have them from the get-go. If you think I'm wrong, then take your apple stuff out of their boxes and actually use them. Oooooh TouchID is now open to devs- that's something for a .1 bump. Not a whole years worth of R&D.

    What has Ford done after inventing the Model T and Model A? Epic fail.
  • Reply 131 of 139
    What has Ford done after inventing the Model T and Model A? Epic fail.

    I really don't get the handwringing over Apple's supposed lack of competitiveness in inventing the next big thing. Such impatience over not getting unspecified future innovations. That always seemed ultra suspicious to me, and I question the motive and sincerity of it all. It doesn't smell right. It's like saying, "I'm really impatient for the next big thing from Apple, even if I can't say what that is that I'm waiting for." Self-driving cars? Asteroid mining? Is that really what they're demanding from Apple? No (yet somehow, it's awesome sauce when Google does it, go figure).

    So I conclude that the only reason people like [@]AjbDtc826[/@] keep making such arguments is to bad mouth Apple (or Tim Cook) for not being Google enough. On the other hand, if there's even an ounce of sincerity for concern over Apple's competitiveness, how will posting about it on these forums change Apple in a positive way? (It won't, and that was never his intention).
  • Reply 132 of 139
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Wow, I gotta say that some of you guys write very well for people who apparently can't read.
  • Reply 133 of 139
    So, is it googlesung paying for these attack stories or WallyStreet? The quality of "journalism" has been deteriorating since the eighties, but the acceleration in lies, inaccuracies or just plain incompetence is spiraling out of control. No wonder fewer people are buying their product when for anyone with secondary or tertiary eduction with any ability to think rationally, it's obvious that most of the items are, at best, advertorials, but often just lies or spin.
    Having worked in a national newscaff organisation for over thirty years, I've seen this deterioration first hand and it's sickening. It starts with the "more with less" bs, then as the corporate prescence grows, more ignorants and sociopaths are employed that toe the new line or enforce it. Those with a conscience or work ethic or know where the bodies are buried, are beaten down and driven out and the remainder are blackmailed into conceding because they have mortgages or families. Others take the bribes to write or produce flattering stories about their owners and attack their competitors.
    All "news" needs to be taken with toxic amounts of salt, basically just follow the money.
    Obviously there are some independent and/or ethical sources, but it is difficult to survive just on concience.
  • Reply 134 of 139
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yeah just proves Steve wasn't always right.

    Seriously? What idiot telegraphs what their plans are to the competition? Business geniuses like you two apparently. Steve pulled that trick several times but eventually the morons figured it out, so it wasn't worth trying any more.
    As far as product decisions went in private, there are many stories about how Steve would accept alternate ideas if the proponents made a strong enough case. Very sensible really.
  • Reply 135 of 139
    jidojido Posts: 118member

    Thank you for making me aware of this nice article in the New York Times, Eran. It is an interesting and well-written article.

  • Reply 136 of 139
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,415member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post



    The New York Times has "reporters" who are creating clearly false and skewed articles about Apple.



    I think the New York Times needs to shore up its ethics and fire these "reporters".

     

    If they fired all their crappy reporters there'd be no one left to write any articles.

  • Reply 137 of 139
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,415member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

     



    If you mention driverless cars and asteroid mining, you're forgetting an important detail. Neither of those are anywhere near close to being in the hands of a customer. Google has great ideas. Driverless cars, jetpacks, and asteroid mining are examples of that. But an idea is worthless unless Google can capitalize on it. That's what matters in business and that's not Google's strong suit.

     

    And you say Apple isn't the "Willy Wonka" of the tech world. First of all, how do you know that Apple isn't trying at least some of the things Google publicly talks about? It's no secret that Apple is very secretive. Why are you totally discounting the possibility that the only reason we know about driverless cars and asteroid mining is that Google is so public about it?

     

    Also, being the "Willy Wonka of the tech world" is worthless if it's not generating cash. That's what matters in business. You wanting Apple to get their hands into just about everything physical in the world sounds great but it's just not a smart business decision. Apple got to where they are today by being laser-focused on what matters. Going into everything just because they can is disastrous thinking.


     

    Great ideas are a dime a dozen. Execution is all that matters.

  • Reply 138 of 139
    Well I'd have used the John Lennon/George Harrison analogy rather than Lenno/Starr one.

    Cos as any guitarist will tell you, whilst John and Paul got the glory, the part of the beatles sound that defined almost any beatles song was innevitably the George Harrison guitar lick that the poor guy almost never got credit for.
  • Reply 139 of 139

    The Ultimate & All-in-one iPhone, iPad, iPod Manager

Sign In or Register to comment.