New images show Space Grey 'iPhone 6' mockup compared to iPhone 5s, HTC One

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
A number of new photos purporting to show manufacturing mockups of Apple's next-generation handset have surfaced from sources in Japan and Korea, detailing a thinner, larger iPhone with a redesigned rear flash and relocated sleep/wake button.

In agreement with previous "leaks," the new images seem to show a more svelte design featuring a 4.7-inch display and a side-mounted sleep/wake button. The photos were published by Japanese publication ascii.jp and Korean blog Seeko and were first noticed by GforGames.

The mockups continue to feature a round rear-mounted flash, a departure from the ovular True Tone setup found on the iPhone 5s. Apple is unlikely to abandon the feature so soon after introduction, meaning the mockups could either represent a new, smaller dual-LED unit or could show an older iPhone design.

In terms of overall size, the mockups fit neatly between an iPhone 5s and HTC's One handset, reflecting the expected 4.7-inch display size of the iPhone 6. The HTC device ships with a 5-inch display.

Additionally, the iPhone 5 and 5s's square, chamfered edges give way to a rounded design reminiscent of the first-generation iPhone.

No matter the final industrial design, Apple's iPhone 6 is widely believed to come with a larger display -- likely 4.7 inches, with a 5.5-inch variant possible -- as well as a faster A8 processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    It's been talked about before... the pill-shaped flash Apple used for the 5S was a stop-gap design until the multi-colored single unit was ready. It appears it's now ready.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    So after the iPhone 6-7 come out with 5.5 inch screens, they will announce a revolutionary iPhone mini with a 3.5 inch screen...and we will all be amazed!
  • Reply 3 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Am I the only one that cares a lot more about what's going inside the new iPhone than what it looks like on the outside? Where are the rumors about the specs on the new A8, the new camera, the type of display and resolution of the display,  possible improvements to the TouchID sensor, information about the potential battery size and battery life. All of these things are what matter when you use an iPhone. People might unbox an iPhone and briefly admire the exterior then most shove it into a plastic case because they are paranoid about scratches effecting resale value. 

I realize that info is likely harder to get than these mockups that seem to be made on a daily basis now. But all these mockups now pretty much look all the same so I really do not see anything new here. And if you want to continue to have mockup stories at least get more photos. Other sites have a dozen or so showing every angle and side by side with the HTC front and back closeup and not at a weird angle where it makes it hard to gauge any differences. 

• Reply 4 of 53
    rmgt008rmgt008 Posts: 9member
    Another mockup that, I still believe, can't nail down the antenna breaks. I'm still hoping we see something a little more refined.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm still highly skeptical this is going to be the final design. Mostly because of the thick antenna bands. Like the iPhone 5 I think once we see the final product it will look much better than these leaks.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Am I the only one that cares a lot more about what's going inside the new iPhone than what it looks like on the outside? Where are the rumors about the specs on the new A8, the new camera, the type of display and resolution of the display,  possible improvements to the TouchID sensor, information about the potential battery size and battery life. All of these things are what matter when you use an iPhone. People might unbox an iPhone and briefly admire the exterior then most shove it into a plastic case because they are paranoid about scratches effecting resale value. 

I realize that info is likely harder to get than these mockups that seem to be made on a daily basis now. But all these mockups now pretty much look all the same so I really do not see anything new here. And if you want to continue to have mockup stories at least get more photos. Other sites have a dozen or so showing every angle and side by side with the HTC front and back closeup and not at a weird angle where it makes it hard to gauge any differences. 
    I don't get the point of comparing a leak of what may or may not be legit to a phone that's already on the market. How about the media wait until the iPhone 6 comes out before starting a pissing match over whether Apple or HTC has the better designed aluminum phone.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

To me...  the mockup appears to have the camera and the home button almost engineeringly[;-)] too close to the edge (you may be able to connect/fuse the back/front [harder due to multiple strata] and the edge together it, but that's got to be an extremely weak point for fracturing.)

But I agree, the guts of the 6 are MUCH more important than the veneer (and it appears to be almost that... a thin layer between us and the golden guts). 

Beyond what's listed above, what about Memory?  A new GPU generation that makes the 'Metal Shine (TM -me)?' New AirBuds, Beats enabled?  Will there be an M7A chip (to capture more health telemetry than just XYZ movement....( and even in movement Pirouetting is a very strenuous activity)?  

The 'outside' of the phone has always been eye candy.  

• Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't get the point of comparing a leak of what may or may not be legit to a phone that's already on the market. How about the media wait until the iPhone 6 comes out before starting a pissing match over whether Apple or HTC has the better designed aluminum phone.

You appear to have forgotten the first rule of media:  Reporting and analyzing rumors is much better than reporting on facts.   You're never late, and never wrong.

• Reply 9 of 53
    When schematics were leaked in Japan it showed 2 flashes in the back, another one is probably ring shaped:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/44657/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 10 of 53
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Am I the only one that cares a lot more about what's going inside the new iPhone than what it looks like on the outside? Where are the rumors about the specs [...]

...And if you want to continue to have mockup stories at least get more photos....

these are manufacturing leaks. the leakers dont have access to specs.

and these are new ("more") photos -- i hadnt seen these before on this site.

• Reply 11 of 53
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

How about the media wait until the iPhone 6 comes out before starting a pissing match over whether Apple or HTC has the better designed aluminum phone.

this is a rumor site. it's not in the business of waiting until products launch....thats why we're here now.

• Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

So after the iPhone 6-7 come out with 5.5 inch screens, they will announce a revolutionary iPhone mini with a 3.5 inch screen...and we will all be amazed!

You must be thinking about Apple's Android competitor's with their "revolutionary" Mini smartphones. Apple still sells a 3.5 inch smartphone.

• Reply 13 of 53
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator

Well, maybe its real and maybe its not.  But whatever it is, it's only the thickness of the iPhone 5/5S case.  I zoomed my display on the last pic, showing the side,such that the onscreen image was about as much longer than my iPhone 5 healed up against my computer display as it appears to be in the first image where its sitting between the 5 and the HTC.  With the image zoomed to about the right length, its easy to compare and see that the edge of this beast (real of mockup) is equal to the height of just my iPhone 5 aluminum case (from the back to the point where the chamfered edge begins to taper in at the front.  That's a pretty significant reduction in that dimension.

I do find it curious that these pics are a little inconsistent with having been arranged all at once by the same person.  For example, in the first pic, the iPhone 5 model is shown face up and, from the Home button, is clearly a 5S.  But the third pic shows it with an iPhone 5 stacked on top (note the lack of true tone flash).  If the pics were taken by the same person at the same time, what would be the reason for using two different iPhone 5's in the images?

Even the second image clearly shows a different iPhone 6 (or mockup) versus the third and fourth images.  In the second the handset is grey, while black in the subsequent two images.  

Also, note that in the first image, the iPhone 5S is right up against the iPhone 6.  There should be a gap between them imposed by the volume buttons on the left side of the iPhone 6 which clearly stick out if the second and third images are to be believed.   Even without protruding buttons, the round edge of the 6 in the first image should show some separation at the front when pushed up against the 5S.  So the first image is suspect on that point.

• Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

Quote:

I don't get the point of comparing a leak of what may or may not be legit to a phone that's already on the market. How about the media wait until the iPhone 6 comes out before starting a pissing match over whether Apple or HTC has the better designed aluminium phone.

Yes.

• Reply 15 of 53
    ivabignivabign Posts: 61member
    Shaping up nicely. The bands will be this thick as it is most likely necessary for cellular signal. Definitely looks more polished than when the iphone 5 leaks were coming out. The idea of 2 slivers of glass surrounding an aluminum back seemed really piecemeal, with an unfinished quality about it. Of course since its release it is the ultimate in look and feel. The 6 will be just as nice to hold in the hand. BUT - this is a phone you had better not leave in your back pocket and sit down. This phone will bend easily IMO
  • Reply 16 of 53
    schlack wrote: »

For years, clunky, oversized personal electronics (like mobile phones) were called "bricks" and smaller handsets were the premium ones. Now, in bizarro (Android) world, everyone is racing to make ever less pocketable "bricks." Even Apple is getting swept up in brick fever because China is crazy for them. :)
  • Reply 17 of 53
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

I'm still highly skeptical this is going to be the final design. Mostly because of the thick antenna bands. Like the iPhone 5 I think once we see the final product it will look much better than these leaks.

Form follows function. They did not add thick antenna bands for the look of it.

I personally believe that these CAD renders are likely real (even though Appleinsider deemed them as "Questionable") : http://ukrainianiphone.com/25/04/2014/171441

I also believe that this recent leak is real, as it exactly matches the Ukrainian CAD renders.

According to these, the top and bottom metal parts of the shell would both be switchable cell antennas (like the 5/5S).

But unlike the 5/5S the iPhone 6 doesn't have glass windows to put the rest of the antennas (Bluetooth, GPS, WIFI). The metal parts surrounded by antenna bands on the back are actually part of the metal back shell so they would block radio waves. There's the Apple logo cutout that could host them, but I doubt that they can put all three antennas in that same small spot.

The part below apparently goes directly under the antenna bands (it's black in the leaked shell picture) :

This leads me to believe that the thick antenna bands may actually contains BlueTooth, Wifi and/or GPS antennas which would connect to the part shown up here. These antennas go around and outside the back shell, and the plastic is acting as an insulator to separate both the top and bottom cell antennas and other antennas inside.  The bands could also double as a shock absorbents.

• Reply 18 of 53
    acatomic wrote: »
    When schematics were leaked in Japan it showed 2 flashes in the back, another one is probably ring shaped:

C'mon. I've also seen schematic drawings and specs for the Battlestar Galactica. That doesn't prove it really exists outside of the imagination.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Shaping up nicely. The bands will be this thick as it is most likely necessary for cellular signal. Definitely looks more polished than when the iphone 5 leaks were coming out. The idea of 2 slivers of glass surrounding an aluminum back seemed really piecemeal, with an unfinished quality about it. Of course since its release it is the ultimate in look and feel. The 6 will be just as nice to hold in the hand. BUT - this is a phone you had better not leave in your back pocket and sit down. This phone will bend easily IMO

I think it's the opposite, this phone will likely be much harder to bend because of the rounded sides as opposed to the flat thin sides of the iPhone 5/5S. To me it looks like a very solid structure.

• Reply 20 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

To me...  the mockup appears to have the camera and the home button almost engineeringly[;-)] too close to the edge (you may be able to connect/fuse the back/front [harder due to multiple strata] and the edge together it, but that's got to be an extremely weak point for fracturing.)

But I agree, the guts of the 6 are MUCH more important than the veneer (and it appears to be almost that... a thin layer between us and the golden guts). 

Beyond what's listed above, what about Memory?  A new GPU generation that makes the 'Metal Shine (TM -me)?' New AirBuds, Beats enabled?  Will there be an M7A chip (to capture more health telemetry than just XYZ movement....( and even in movement Pirouetting is a very strenuous activity)?  

The 'outside' of the phone has always been eye candy.  

But it's probably the portion most easily leaked as case manufacturers get information. The insides don't involve any communication with "outsiders" to the same extent perhaps...