Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price

Comments

• Reply 61 of 175
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It is an odd update not having the rest of the lineup refreshed but it's better than nothing.

Well, this is not really an update but an addition to the existing line. Also, the timing and the specifications suggest that this machine targets mostly schools, businesses and administration. On the other hand, Apple seems to prepare the ground for a real update of the whole line this autumn. I am curious to see in which way exactly.

• Reply 62 of 175
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    That sounds like a bean counter response.

It's the response of someone who understands business as opposed to one that just "feels" what a price should or some asshat comment that will reflexively claim, "it should be ($100) lower."
  • Reply 63 of 175
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically overpriced because it will look nice on someone's desk. Internet, email, Excel and PowerPoint are all available on Windows PCs.

Not to mention that the Mac version of MS Office has historically been second-class compared to the Windows version.

• Reply 64 of 175
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Just like all of their Mac product line...  I don't understand why Apple consumer desktop hardware is so overpriced and under-powered.  Their mobile device hardware is price competitive... I never understood this...

Yeah, this is true. When my son was planning to buy his Macbook Air, I shopped around for matching specs, and the Air was priced right where it belonged, and that what he got. I don't regularly follow computer prices, but I had expected to find that I could match its specs for $200-$300 less... but nope.

• Reply 65 of 175
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's the response of someone who understands business as opposed to one that just "feels" what a price should or some asshat comment that will reflexively claim, "it should be ($100) lower."
    Makes Apple look like a company more concerned about margins than the best products. Also odd, because it doesn't match what they did with the MBA. The MBA got a spec bump and $100 price cut. That's a good deal.
  • Reply 66 of 175
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Very few people need the additional power offered by the more expensive models.

Power is one aspect. Another one is longevity. It is known that Apple uses to offer longest support for the more powerful machines regarding OS updates. For example, even 6 years old MacBook Pros will run Mavericks. MacBooks of the same age are simply not supported.

• Reply 67 of 175
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,907member

A better deal would be to get a Mac mini which is faster already for $599 and then get an IPS display such as what I have. The Mac mini is faster out of the box, you can expand the RAM yourself to 16GB, and there's spots for 2 hard drives if ever necessary. I'm not even going into graphics because someone who is buying something like a Mac mini or this overpriced iMac doesn't care about graphics. If they did, they'd be buying an real iMac with real graphics. 

Like I said before my dad just bought the $599 Mac mini ($579 w/my discount) and I purchased the 23" Dell IPS panel for $135. So for roughly $750 you get a better Mac. And don't assume because its a Dell display that is junk. Its an awesome display. I'm really impressed with this display for the price (and its IPS).

So, I'll ask again, how is this iMac priced so high such a good deal when a Mac mini that is 2yrs old is better and $500 less expensive?

I'm sure some fanboy can come up with some kind of bullshit answer, or some lame response. 

• Reply 68 of 175
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Any particular reason why Apple prefers 5400 rpm hard drives to the nore common 7200 rpm variety? You can't even get 5400 rpm drives on Newegg these days.

I *think* I read somewhere that Apple uses 5400 rpm drives in the iMac because the ultra-thin chassis doesn't provide sufficient cooling for 7200 rpm units. Anyone know for sure whether or not that's true?

• Reply 69 of 175
    I agree with those questioning the price point. The $200 between the 2.7 and 2.9 GHz models would suggest that the $1099 model would have 2.5 GHz processor, not simply a 1.4. This model looks designed to make the $2.7 GHz model more enticing.

And why now? Why wasn't this low-end released when this round of iMacs came out? Is Apple trying to clear out inventory of certain components ahead of a larger model refresh?
  • Reply 70 of 175
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macxpress wrote: »
    A better deal would be to get a Mac mini which is faster already for $599 and then get an IPS display such as what I have. The Mac mini is faster out of the box, you can expand the RAM yourself to 16GB, and there's spots for 2 hard drives if ever necessary. I'm not even going into graphics because someone who is buying something like a Mac mini or this overpriced iMac doesn't care about graphics. If they did, they'd be buying an real iMac with real graphics. 

Like I said before my dad just bought the $599 Mac mini ($579 w/my discount) and I purchased the 23" Dell IPS panel for $135. So for roughly $750 you get a better Mac. And don't assume because its a Dell display that is junk. Its an awesome display. I'm really impressed with this display for the price (and its IPS).

So, I'll ask again, how is this iMac priced so high such a good deal when a Mac mini that is 2yrs old is better and $500 less expensive?

I'm sure some fanboy can come up with some kind of bullshit answer, or some lame response. 

Because with your way you have to stare at an ugly Dell monitor for X-number of years.

How's that?
  • Reply 71 of 175
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

I am at lost the reason behind this product.

Home use, office use.... the 27" is a big monster that is totally over sized for basic computing. Whether it will sell at that price is anybody's guess. I  wouldn't be surprised if it drops $100.- quite quickly.

• Reply 72 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Well, this is not really an update but an addition to the existing line. Also, the timing and the specifications suggest that this machine targets mostly schools, businesses and administration. On the other hand, Apple seems to prepare the ground for a real update of the whole line this autumn. I am curious to see in which way exactly.

This iMac was already available to schools, businesses, etc. Its now just made available to the public. I'm guessing too that they'll have something far better in the fall across the lineup, and then maybe lower this to a respectable price. 

• Reply 73 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Because with your way you have to stare at an ugly Dell monitor for X-number of years.

How's that?

Not a valid answer. That does nothing to explain how the iMac at $1099 with lower specs and $500 more expensive than a Mac mini is a better deal. Its not ugly, if you don't like the Dell logo then cover the fucking thing up. 

• Reply 74 of 175
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So basically overpriced because it will look nice on someone's desk. Internet, email, Excel and PowerPoint are all available on Windows PCs.

OSX isn't. That makes a big difference. OS efficiency comes into play here just as much as it does when you compare Sammy's octo core, destroyer-of-batteries processors against Apple's humble A series processors then realize that Apple products still function better.
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Not to mention that the Mac version of MS Office has historically been second-class compared to the Windows version.

Historically being the operative word. I don't buy software because of what it used to do; I buy it because of what it does now.
  • Reply 75 of 175
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

That sounds like a bean counter response.

I don't think her/her ludicrous posts are worthy of a serious or considered response.

• Reply 76 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Unless of course you are type A and then nothing is fast enough.

As to office even those apps can get bogged down. Speaking of money, I'm expecting heavy discounts this holiday season, for the most part this machine is over priced. That may be intentional to give them room to run promotions and the like.

In most enterprise/business environments the individual's opinion really isn't taken into consideration unless it's to explain why they need more than the standard workstation.  In my company which is running on 4-5 year old Dells (spit), this little iMac would be like Chuck Yeager climbing into the X-1 and going supersonic.

• Reply 77 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Just because an animal swims doesn't make it a fish. This is true. But does that invalidate the statement "The ocean is overrun with fish"?

Yes, this forum is overrun with fanboys who think Apple never does anything wrong. I'm glad you recognize this! :)

• Reply 78 of 175
    Horrible! My school uses Macs and we're forced to use these slow beasts! I go to school for Game design and Mac computers are crap! Very limited program compatibility, slow and restrictive. They freeze when we're forced to use Safari which doesn't show webpages properly.One of the worst computers you can use for work or school. The pricetag on this is rediculous and just goes to show you how MAC is making computers for internet users and crippling people that want to use them for something besides surfing the web. I bought an HP Pavilion Laptop 18.5 inch screen i7 quad core, 800 GB HD, 8 GB RAM Windows 7, nividia graphics card, DDR3 Blu-Ray for $600 used for school. Brand new it went for $1200. its five years old and still could kick the crap outta most laptops in Best Buy or Apple stores!
  • Reply 79 of 175
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't think her/her ludicrous posts are worthy of a serious or considered response.
    Sorry if I don't drink the Apple kool-aid all the time. :)
  • Reply 80 of 175
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

Sorry if I don't drink the Apple kool-aid all the time. image

You don't need to. I don't either.

I just find your shrill, knee-jerk posts -- that often provide no context or explanation, but just whines -- somewhat tiring. That's all. If you're going to complain about Apple pricing (a standard and tired old complaint that's as old as Apple), or imply that no one (or very few) will buy it at that price, can you back it up with even a little bit of argumentation or evidence? (I could say the same about your drive-by Dre/Beats posts).