Apple makes new low-end 1.4GHz iMac official with $1,099 starting price

Comments

• Reply 81 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Any particular reason why Apple prefers 5400 rpm hard drives to the nore common 7200 rpm variety? You can't even get 5400 rpm drives on Newegg these days.

Maybe you can't, but it took me only 5 seconds to find them.

17 Desktop HDDs at 5400 RPM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603 600484468&IsNodeId=1

132 Laptop HDDs at 5400 RPM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605 600483985&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Pagesize=100&Page=1

• Reply 82 of 175
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You don't need to. I don't either.

I just find your shrill, knee-jerk posts -- that often provide no context or explanation, but just whines -- somewhat tiring. That's all. If you're going to complain about Apple pricing (a standard and tired old complaint that's as old as Apple), or imply that no one (or very few) will buy it at that price, can you back it up with even a little bit of argumentation or evidence? (I could say the same about your drive-by Dre/Beats posts).
    I never said no one would buy it at this price. I'm sure plenty of people will, but plenty more would if Apple had found a way to shave $100 or $200 more off the price. With Windows 8 being such a turd and these convertible 2-in-1's not really taking off I'd love to see Apple aggressively target Windows users. And maybe take some steam out of Chromebooks too (which appear to be gaining traction in education markets). Is that shrill enough for you?
  • Reply 83 of 175
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Yeah no thanks. I will hold out either for the other iMacs to get updated or for the mini to get updated (lol) before I spend more money with Apple.
  • Reply 84 of 175
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Historically being the operative word. I don't buy software because of what it used to do; I buy it because of what it does now.

Well has Office for Mac finally reached parity with the Windows version in features and performance? I seem to recall some members of this forum saying that Excel performs better in a Windows virtual machine than on bare Mac hardware (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/163482/microsoft-to-release-long-awaited-office-for-mac-update-in-2014-report#post_2485309).

• Reply 85 of 175
    The biggest reason why so many colleagues don't go Apple is price. Apple is missing out in not offering a basic all in one machine, a lower rung on the ladder that would get more people into iOS. To me, iOS is the real deal for Apple.
  • Reply 86 of 175
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Apple is getting boring now, they only release stuff at the end of the year.

In before Slurpy rightfully tears you a new one.

Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

The biggest reason why so many colleagues don't go Apple is price.

Then they’re morons.

Apple is missing out in not offering a basic all in one machine, a lower rung on the ladder that would get more people into iOS. To me, iOS is the real deal for Apple.

Nope. And nope. Buying a Mac won’t really get people into iOS.

• Reply 87 of 175
    rogifan wrote: »
    So basically overpriced because it will look nice on someone's desk. Internet, email, Excel and PowerPoint are all available on Windows PCs.

That's the troll meme I'm looking for: Apple = overpriced, under-spec'd, pretty Wintel boxes running some goofy Unix dialect.

Why visit DailyTech forums when I can get my daily dose of "Windows > Apple" trolling right here¡
  • Reply 88 of 175
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

On UK site, Apple have reduced AppleTV to £80???? and also reduce the price of Mac Mini by £60???

Does this mean NEW AppleTV and Mac Mini?

• Reply 89 of 175
    macxpress wrote: »
    Yes, this forum is overrun with fanboys who think Apple never does anything wrong. I'm glad you recognize this! :)

You haven't proven to me that Apple has done anything "wrong" by selling this iMac. And how can you? It just went on sale.
  • Reply 90 of 175
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Well has Office for Mac finally reached parity with the Windows version in features and performance? I seem to recall some members of this forum saying that Excel performs better in a Windows virtual machine than on bare Mac hardware (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/163482/microsoft-to-release-long-awaited-office-for-mac-update-in-2014-report#post_2485309).

In my experience, yes. I have done some fairly intense data analysis involving tens of thousands of data points (and formulas), and haven't run into any major issues (though at a certain point you do need to shut off Auto Calculation, but this is true on a windows box as well).

There are a few quirks (controlling the Solver addin with VBA springs immediately to mind), but overall the performance is good enough that I have never been tempted to install office on my VM.
  • Reply 91 of 175
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's the troll meme I'm looking for: Apple = overpriced, under-spec'd, pretty Wintel boxes running some goofy Unix dialect.

Why visit DailyTech forums when I can get my daily dose of "Windows > Apple" trolling right here¡

And Apple Fanboy'ism by people like you! Best of both worlds! :)

• Reply 92 of 175
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You haven't proven to me that Apple has done anything "wrong" by selling this iMac. And how can you? It just went on sale.

I don't need to prove anything. I'm not just taking about this particular thread...its anything that has to do with Apple. The amount of fanboys on here is amazing. Apple never does anything wrong no matter what it is. 

Its great how nobody responds to something like my mac mini response because they know its true. Its hard for a fan boy to respond to something they know is true because it goes against believing that Apple never does anything people don't agree with. 

• Reply 93 of 175
    darendino wrote: »
    On UK site, Apple have reduced AppleTV to £80???? and also reduce the price of Mac Mini by £60???

Does this mean NEW AppleTV and Mac Mini?
    No price change in US so probably more to do with foreign exchange.
  • Reply 94 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I never said no one would buy it at this price. I'm sure plenty of people will, but plenty more would if Apple had found a way to shave $100 or $200 more off the price. With Windows 8 being such a turd and these convertible 2-in-1's not really taking off I'd love to see Apple aggressively target Windows users. And maybe take some steam out of Chromebooks too (which appear to be gaining traction in education markets). Is that shrill enough for you?

Nonsense. Using that argument, plenty more will buy it you reduced it even further. Why not lower it by another $400? Is it because you think you cannot (or you think people you know cannot) afford it that leads you to that conclusion? So what's that optimal point? You think you know that better than Apple does?

Moreover, don't you think that maintaining profit margins is one heck of an important goal for Apple? As long as they've existed? When have they sold a core hardware product (except for the AppeTV which has been typically relegated to 'hobby' status) to sacrifice margins? Why should they?

What you and the other drive-by whiners are proposing goes against the core of Apple's strategy. It ain't gonna happen. If you don't like it, buy a PC. Or a Chromebook. Or whatever.

• Reply 95 of 175
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    Have not kept up on spec's how fast/slow is 1.4Ghz i5?
  • Reply 96 of 175
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richlo View Post

at least it has turbo from 1.4 to 2.4. imo those are 2.4ghz rejects so Apple gets them at a discount.
    Those CPU can get between 1.4 to 2.4 depending where they failed quality control.

That being said, the bottle neck nowadays are almost always disk read/writes and GPU. So a fusion drive or SSD or something with an nvidia GPU are more worthty than CPU upgrades. This makes old macs better than new ones.
  • Reply 97 of 175
    [SIZE=14px]Nonsense. Using that argument, plenty more will buy it you reduced it even further. Why not lower it by another $400? Is it because you think you cannot (or you think people you know cannot) afford it that leads you to that conclusion? So what's that optimal point? You think you know that better than Apple does?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Moreover, don't you think that maintaining profit margins is one heck of an important goal for Apple? As long as they've existed? When have they sold a core hardware product (except for the AppeTV which has been typically relegated to 'hobby' status) to sacrifice margins? Why should they?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]What you and the other drive-by whiners are proposing goes against the core of Apple's strategy. It ain't gonna happen. If you don't like it, buy a PC. Or a C<span style="line-height:21.66666603088379px;">hromebook. Or whatever.</span>
    [/SIZE]
    Apple isn't even featuring this on apple.com. If it was such a good deal wouldn't they want to feature it? They did with the MBA update.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140501004817/http://www.apple.com/
  • Reply 98 of 175
    richlo wrote: »

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1746213
  • Reply 99 of 175
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think I'd rather fork over the extra money for future life. If one is going to use the computer for six+ years, I don't think it makes sense to be that cheap. One might even squeeze a few more years of useful life out of spending the extra.

That's fine for you, and in most "personal" cases.  I'm currently running a 2007 alum iMac w/ a 2ghz Core 2 Duo & 4GB Ram in our satellite laboratory.  It runs Mail, Numbers, and Filemaker perfectly- and only comes on 2 days a month- which is all that is required of that computer in that office.

Had I spent the extra $300 and gotten the 2.4ghz model in 2007- where would I be now?  Running Mail, Numbers, and Filemaker perfectly.  Exactly where I am today.

Stop assuming your needs are what my needs are.  $200 isn't a big deal to me, but if I don't need something that fast- I'm literally throwing money away.

Like I said earlier- my power supply will go out before the specs become obsolete for that particular use.  If you like to throw away money- by all means do it.

• Reply 100 of 175
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple isn't even featuring this on apple.com. If it was such a good deal wouldn't they want to feature it? They did with the MBA update.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140501004817/http://www.apple.com/

Yet another nonsensical, overdrawn inference from you.

There isn't much point in continuing this.