Apple's 'iWatch' to pack in 10+ sensors for health & fitness tracking, to come in multiple sizes, WS

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    I wonder if that many sensors would be feasible from a cost/ battery life standpoint.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    moreck wrote: »
    I wonder if that many sensors would be feasible from a cost/ battery life standpoint.
    I would suspect several of them will be consolidated into a low-power chip. For example, the M7 co-processor be considered 3 sensors since it's a gyroscope, accelerometer and compass?
  • Reply 43 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Think of all the self-diegnostic tools people could use, and how this would change healthcare. 

Yes. Imagine a week after the iWatch comes out, news stories about thousands of people finding out they have diabetes who didn't know.

• Reply 44 of 54
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes. Imagine a week after the iWatch comes out, news stories about thousands of people finding out they have diabetes who didn't know.

Your sarcasm is lost with the knowledge that could save their lives. Although, I don't believe glucose levels would be readable without blood. 

My dad had diabetes, and died two months ago due to congestive heart failure. Symptoms were attributed to his diabetes. I wonder, and hope, if wearable medical devices 5-10 years from now will be able to help prevent misdiagnosis. 

Of course, if it is one from Microsoft...

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!  My Windows Watch just blue screened! IT JUST BLUE SCREENED, what does that mean?!!!!" 

LOL 

• Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Your sarcasm is lost with the knowledge that could save their lives. Although, I don't believe glucose levels would be readable without blood. 

I wasn't being sarcastic. Apple have recently hired some people with expertise in non-invasive glucose testing: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/18/rumored-apple-hires-from-medical-sensor-field-could-hint-at-iwatch-capabilities

• Reply 46 of 54
    ascii wrote: »
    I wasn't being sarcastic. Apple have recently hired some people with expertise in non-invasive glucose testing: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/18/rumored-apple-hires-from-medical-sensor-field-could-hint-at-iwatch-capabilities

I don't think I have diabetes or that I'm at risk but I've made an appt. with my doctor for a full body physical that will include getting checked for any signs of diabetes.

I'm sure we've all heard that preventative health care measures are very important in saying money and saving lives. Out of site, out of mind s very real in keeping us from considering potential issues and solutions so I do feel that a device that can record, measure and analyze some basic trends in your body's functionality can lead to better longterm heath, less missed work, and a generally better quality of life.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think I have diabetes or that I'm at risk but I've made an appt. with my doctor for a full body physical that will include getting checked for any signs of diabetes.

I'm sure we've all heard that preventative health care measures are very important in saying money and saving lives. Out of site, out of mind s very real in keeping us from considering potential issues and solutions so I do feel that a device that can record, measure and analyze some basic trends in your body's functionality can lead to better longterm heath, less missed work, and a generally better quality of life.

I feel that Raman spectroscopy looks very promising - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raman_spectroscopy. There is scope for miniaturisation in this technique and a Raman spectrometer can sample tiny volumes, non-invasively, very accurately. Just not sure about detector sensitivity~integration time. One day, Raman spectrometry in miniature form will make a splash.

All the best.

• Reply 48 of 54
    iqatedo wrote: »
    I feel that Raman spectroscopy looks very promising - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raman_spectroscopy. There is scope for miniaturisation in this technique and a Raman spectrometer can sample tiny volumes, non-invasively, very accurately. Just not sure about detector sensitivity~integration time. One day, Raman spectrometry in miniature form will make a splash.

All the best.

I've mentioned it for a couple years on here but I think the biometrics "wearables" market will eventually evolve into devices that we have implanted into our skin as well as inexpensive pills we take daily to help monitor our systems. They will automatically and securely send data back to a device it's paired with (sub dermal, iWatch, whatever) and that will have plenty of detailed info that a more powerful competing device will then be able to analyze and compare over a duration as well as against others to find trends that no physician could possibly see by simply having you go in for a routine checkup and occasional blood work.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:

Yes, I think it could be very promising. There would be an initial surge of hospital admissions as a lot of people found out they had something they didn't know about, and that might temporarily overload things, but in the long run it would be much better having things caught early.

• Reply 50 of 54
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

I've mentioned it for a couple years on here but I think the biometrics "wearables" market will eventually evolve into devices that we have implanted into our skin as well as inexpensive pills we take daily to help monitor our systems. They will automatically and securely send data back to a device it's paired with (sub dermal, iWatch, whatever) and that will have plenty of detailed info that a more powerful competing device will then be able to analyze and compare over a duration as well as against others to find trends that no physician could possibly see by simply having you go in for a routine checkup and occasional blood work.

Quote:

Yes, I think it could be very promising. There would be an initial surge of hospital emissions as a lot of people found out they had something they didn't know about, and that might temporarily overload things, but in the long run it would be much better having things caught early.

I hope (and trust) that Apple gets this right because the thought of Google led health monitoring is truly frightening. We could well be living through an historic epoch in the emergence of a new industry.

• Reply 51 of 54
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Who needs health monitoring now that we have free Obamacare?

• Reply 52 of 54
    I’m not sold on the idea of a digital watch. They have always been naff.

I love watches, and you don’t need to spend much to get a beautiful one. What’s the point in Apple making one?

The history of watches is not like the history of mobile phones. Mobile phones started out as huge bricks—no one misses those—and became the sleek slabs we have now. Watches started out beautiful, and some turned ugly with the digital age. Thankfully, it’s still very easy to buy a fine watch.

I would love it if Apple could do one of three things:

Incorporate additional functionality into a traditional, mechanical timepiece. Sensors, mobile payments, whatever—but with no display.

Overlay a digital interface onto a traditional watch. The watch functions like a normal watch for telling the time; the watch itself is painstakingly crafted like any number of existing watches in all its clockwork glory. But at a touch of the sapphire protection, a digital interface can be imposed to offer extra utility.

A wearable with no display.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    I’m not sold on the idea of a digital watch. They have always been naff.

I love watches, and you don’t need to spend much to get a beautiful one. What’s the point in Apple making one?

The history of watches is not like the history of mobile phones. Mobile phones started out as huge bricks—no one misses those—and became the sleek slabs we have now. Watches started out beautiful, and some turned ugly with the digital age. Thankfully, it’s still very easy to buy a fine watch.

I would love it if Apple could do one of three things:

Incorporate additional functionality into a traditional, mechanical timepiece. Sensors, mobile payments, whatever—but with no display.

Overlay a digital interface onto a traditional watch. The watch functions like a normal watch for telling the time; the watch itself is painstakingly crafted like any number of existing watches in all its clockwork glory. But at a touch of the sapphire protection, a digital interface can be imposed to offer extra utility.

A wearable with no display.

That sounds like some digital/Steampunk hybrid for some nonexistent Jobs-Vernes era.

I see no future where Apple would wast time, money, weight, space, and functiionality to use mechanical gears simply so you can see them behind a cryatal. Where is tge benefit to a CE company?

The only way I see moving parts being used are for tactile feel, like with the Home Button, or for counterweight for winding or self-winding devices, which I don't think are feasible.
  • Reply 54 of 54

It could be a great advancement in technology. Now people will fell more advance than that before. Great effort Apple!!