Google-owned Nest to acquire connected security camera firm Dropcam for $555M

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Thanks but no thanks.  Nest = Google and Google = Nest.

Note the words "without a customer's permission" Yeah Right.

Their recording service will surely move to the Google Cloud if it is not there already.

I would look to Honeywell for these products if they integrate well with Apple's HomeKit protocols.

Time will tell.

• Reply 22 of 156
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Oh great.  Another way for Google to spy on us all.

• Reply 23 of 156
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Do no evil my ass. The self righteous, ends justify the means rationalization that Larry Page and other googlers use is, for me, the creepiest thing about google.

Tired: Don't be evil.

Wired: Don't be Google.

• Reply 24 of 156
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
  • Reply 25 of 156
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

Irony.

• Reply 26 of 156
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gtr wrote: »
    Waiting for Googleguy defensive post in 3...2...1...

Googleguy: Well, Nest is a subsidiary of Google and is run as a completely separate company. Just like Moto. Google has no control.

The fine print in the privacy statement: *subject to change according to our Google overlords.
  • Reply 27 of 156
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member

Dropcam/Google/Nest = no way Jose!

• Reply 28 of 156
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Googleguy: Well, Nest is a subsidiary of Google and is run as a completely separate company. Just like Moto. Google has no control.

The fine print in the privacy statement: *subject to change according to our Google overlords.

I totally believe you, Googleguy!

Thanks for bringing me, a humble fool unable to think for himself, the plain and utter truth.

Now, please, tell me more about this awesome company Google, as this is why I have decided to come to a website called AppleInsider that focuses on Apple news...

;)
  • Reply 30 of 156
    Google just wanting more cameras for people, next we will end up hearing that googles coming out with a Apple TV competitor with always on camera/mike.
  • Reply 31 of 156
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member

Google can now succesfully monitor us and our homes now.

Of course we'd need a G+ account to use it, but that's a minor discommode.

Of course they'd offer us Ads based on what we do and how we look, but that's a minor discomode.

Of course they'd sell our private data to 3rd party advertisers without our consent, but that's a minor discommode.

• Reply 32 of 156
    jaayco wrote: »
    Mmm. Just bought 2 of these and wondering about how smart that decision was. Regardless of promises about privacy (which I'm still skeptical about) this probably means my dropcams will never work well with Apple's new push into the home. Nest already looked like it was missing from the lineup of people integrating with Apple. I really hope "bought by Google" doesn't start equalling "not supported on Apple".

Google is free to submit an iOS 8 app.
  • Reply 33 of 156
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Google is free to submit an iOS 8 app.

They probably will if the reports that Google makes more money from Apple's devices than from devices running Android OS.
  • Reply 34 of 156
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What the **** is Google's obsession with cameras and surveillance? First the insanely creepy Google Glass, and now this? Who the **** in their right mind would want their home surveillance systems owned by an ADVERTISING company? I love how they set up Nest as a cover for acquisition, cause they knew "Google buys dropcam" would sound that much more creepy. 

• Reply 35 of 156
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

How come when I surf the web, I never see any 'Apple Analytics' or 'Apple Adsense' or 'Apple + Platform' or 'Apple AdWords Conversion' or 'Apple Connect' or 'Apple Social Plugins' popping up on any sites that I visit?

Oh, that's right, Apple is not spying on my every fucking move that I make on the internet, as opposed to Google, Facebook and a number of others who try to keep track of your every move.

Who in their right mind would ever want a Google Home Security Camera? Isn't it enough that they spy on you on the internet? What kind of dummies would let a security camera into their house which happens to be owned by an advertising company that likes to collect information about their users?

I guess that it's a great fit for Android users, as most of them probably don't give a crap about security anyway, so they might as well have a Google security cam in their house. What a bunch of morons.

• Reply 36 of 156
    apple ][ wrote: »
    How come when I surf the web, I never see any 'Apple Analytics' or 'Apple Adsense' or 'Apple + Platform' or 'Apple AdWords Conversion' or 'Apple Connect' or 'Apple Social Plugins' popping up on any sites that I visit?

Oh, that's right, Apple is not spying on my every fucking move that I make on the internet, as opposed to Google, Facebook and a number of others who try to keep track of your every move.

Amazon is also very tracky. I've never signed in to Amazon from Firefox, yet Amazon ads appearing on some site still showed particular items from my wish list. Ad cookies are NOT shared between different browsers. But my broadband IP address is the same.
  • Reply 37 of 156
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

LOL.

Advertisement at the bottom of this very page:

Ironic, much?

• Reply 38 of 156
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gtr wrote: »

If you get the yearly subscription with the app from AI you don't see these pesky ads anymore.

So in my case, thanks for sharing!
  • Reply 39 of 156
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Thank God I held off purchasing. I'm still waiting for Honeywell to catch-up so I can rip out my Nest units

There is no way I'm going to give Google entry into my house via connected devices. Your a fool if you don't think they will eventually mine your personal data.

http://www.webpronews.com/smart-thermostats-honeywell-announces-the-lyric-thermostat-2014-06

Job Done.

• Reply 40 of 156
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    **** this. I really liked my Dropcam.. Now it is going to eBay if not the trash.