Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg

Comments

• Reply 21 of 169
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    No; Apple Insider.
    What does Google Glass have to do with Apple?
  • Reply 22 of 169
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nonsensical product in search of a problem to solve. Changing its appearance will amount to a hill of beans.

But this is OUR hill... and these are OUR beans!
  • Reply 23 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No; Apple Insider.

Google Glass is Google's feeble and failed attempt to create a wearable device using their own skills. Apple is widely acknowledged to be interested in the wearable space; Tim Cook has intimated at new product categories and Phil Schiller has stated that the products in the pipeline from Apple are the strongest he's seen for twenty-five years.

That's what Google Glass has to do with Apple, but you knew all that, of course, and were simply making a trollish jibe and waiting for the first fish to bite, that fish being me.

Now you've had your tea, it's time for bed.

• Reply 24 of 169
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Once a Glasshole, always a Glasshole. But now you can be a fashionable Glasshole.
  • Reply 25 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »

Are you honestly asking how a direct competitor to Apple could possibly affect Apple? Come on, Son!
  • Reply 26 of 169
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Yeah Google is seeing the carpet being pulled so they becoming like big oil, the greasing the skips to make sure the stupid idea will not be limited. Google is becoming a lobbying power house these days.

Honesty, if it is such a good idea why is so many trying to regulate what that are doing and why do they have to play the political game.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/google-lobbying-108167.html?hp=f1

• Reply 27 of 169
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

What is this Google Insider?

Quote:

You read the article.  You post on the article.  You read other poster's thoughts and responses to the article.  And you even re-respond back.

These posts always confuse me.  Is the point to pretend you are so busy that you don't have time to read this?  Is the point to prove you don't want to be burdened with non-Apple stories?  Because your actions and posts prove otherwise.  I really don't understand it.

• Reply 28 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Once a Glasshole, always a Glasshole. But now you can be a fashionable Glasshole.

"Diane von Furstenberg's new Dooshay<sup>2</sup> Collection"
  • Reply 29 of 169
    Quote:

fashion legend Diane von Furstenberg

A legend? I've never even heard of her. Tell me some more fairy tales legends... :)

• Reply 30 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Android is jumping the shark? Isn't it supposedly a complete copy of iOS? Regardless, after 6.5 years, I think we're a bit beyond a fad.

Keep in mind jumping the shark means that doing something desperate to make sure you stay relevant or popular. Remember Google is search and advertising company not a technology company. Android is their attempt to get into the Mobile OS business, to help sell more ads well that is failing to achieve it stated goals. Nest can also be added into the category of an idea which is jumping the shark. Some time it is completely obvious then a company or program is jumping the shark, some time it take years of looking back and saying what they hell happen to that company. I believe google has become so desperate that are doing things which are just stupid for them to be involved in.

• Reply 31 of 169
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    john.b wrote: »
    Like putting lipstick on a pig.

Yep. It's not the glasses part that is the issue. It's the bulky side piece. They should be trying to go retro with a a big plastic "nerd" frame where all the bits are inside that frame than this 'sunglasses with a giant tech zit'.

Hipsters love the nerd spec look so they would jump for it.

And if google could figure out a way to protect onto the lens and not into the eye they would probably have fewer complaints of headaches etc.
  • Reply 32 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm glad to see Google is trying to expand this product and focusing on woman but I can't see how this will work. It just looks like Google Glass glued to regular eyeglass frames.

Google must has realize that women need to combat the geeks guys using google classes to hit on women, this was the glass can tell the women to watch out for the geek in the room.

• Reply 33 of 169
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    No; Apple Insider.
    It's hard to tell these days.
  • Reply 34 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

This solves all the problems with Glass, which, as every geek has been squawking about, are all to do with how fashionable the plastic is.  Now no one need have any cause for complaint with Glass, because it's packaged with some trendy bug eyes.

• Reply 35 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

A legend? I've never even heard of her. Tell me some more fairy tales legends... :)

If you've never heard of DvF then you've never heard of anyone in fashion.

Quote:

She is best known for introducing the knitted jersey "wrap dress" in 1974, an example of which, due to its influence on women's fashion, is in the collection of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

She re-launched her fashion company, Diane von Fürstenberg (DvF), in 1997, with the reintroduction of her famous wrap dress. The company is now a global luxury lifestyle brand offering four complete collections a year. DvF is available in over 70 countries and 45 free-standing shops worldwide. The company’s headquarters and flagship boutique are located in Manhattan’s Meatpacking District.

In 2005, the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) awarded her the Lifetime Achievement Award and the following year named her as their president, a position she has held since 2006.

• Reply 36 of 169

Ah, geez... so now they're be pretty Glassholes.

• Reply 37 of 169
    Google will get scammed all their project money, and when the fashion designers position are not longer overpaid, everyone will quit and left a giant holes in Google future revenue.

Why? Because for years fashion designers avoided designing glasses with too much effort and time. You can't see them on the fashion shows in detail, and to fit different face shapes, they need to design different glasses frames that produce in a small quantity.

I have been telling Google that people who wear glasses wasn't doing it for the fashion or other reason. We do it because we need to. Glasses are the back braces at the front, and that's the reason why LASIK existed.

Of course, even Google doesn't read their Google page, so just let them burn like Enron.
  • Reply 38 of 169
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,215member
    charlituna wrote: »
    And if google could figure out a way to protect onto the lens and not into the eye they would probably have fewer complaints of headaches etc.

It doesn't project an image onto your eye lens. I't really no different than looking at your computer monitor or TV. The headaches that some get when first using Google Glass reportedly comes from using your eye muscles in an unaccustomed way, regularly looking slightly up and changing focus to see the display. I've read those go away after you've used Glass for awhile as your muscles get used to it but can't comment from personal experience.
  • Reply 39 of 169
    solipsismx wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »

Are you honestly asking how a direct competitor to Apple could possibly affect Apple? Come on, Son!

Rogifan is female, so I would suggest:

"Come on, love!"
  • Reply 40 of 169
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member

Every time I see someone with Google Glass I maneuver myself out of their way, I somehow feel like my rights are being violated.

They could be shooting a video and not tell you or doing something else, it just doesn't feel right yet.