Google focuses on fashion with new Glass frames from designer Diane von Furstenberg

Comments

• Reply 41 of 169
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Every time I see someone with Google Glass I maneuver myself out of their way, I somehow feel like my rights are being violated.
    They could be shooting a video and not tell you or doing something else, it just doesn't feel right yet.

10 years from now no one will find it unusual, anymore than few seriously worry about surreptitious recording from someone's smartphone today (unless you're a dress-wearing woman in Wal-mart :rolleyes:.) If anything it's probably easier to take a sneak pic or video with one of those than Google Glass. Do a search for something like "Take a sneaky picture with iOS7" to see how easy it is.
  • Reply 42 of 169
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Every time I see someone with Google Glass I maneuver myself out of their way, I somehow feel like my rights are being violated.
    They could be shooting a video and not tell you or doing something else, it just doesn't feel right yet.

10 years from now no one will find it unusual, anymore than few seriously worry about sereptitious recording from someone's smartphone today. If anything it's probably easier to take a sneak pic or video with one of those than Google Glass.

And of course we all know that 10 year predictions are rock solid.

Drones will be everywhere in 10 years…
    Self-driving cars…
    Refrigerator-toasters…
  • Reply 43 of 169

Self-driving cars…
    Refrigerator-toasters…

Hit me up in 10 years. :D

EDIT: Over a hundred years ago a civil engineer named John Watkins made some predictions about life a hundred years in the future. Here's the page as printed in the Ladies' Home Journal. He did pretty darn good IMO.
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7010/6635615985_633d660428_o.jpg
  • Reply 44 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep. It's not the glasses part that is the issue. It's the bulky side piece. They should be trying to go retro with a a big plastic "nerd" frame where all the bits are inside that frame than this 'sunglasses with a giant tech zit'.

Hipsters love the nerd spec look so they would jump for it.

And if google could figure out a way to protect onto the lens and not into the eye they would probably have fewer complaints of headaches etc.

I was going to make a point along these lines as well, by making the glasses bigger, you mask the size of the Google Glass itself. They kept trying to make them as small as possible and now the fashion designer has more or less done the opposite, making the glasses larger to hide the GG.

• Reply 45 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I hope they make them illegal to use while driving. I can't stand distracted drivers. I see so many people holding phones while driving. I get really annoyed that so many people break traffic laws.

• Reply 46 of 169
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Self-driving cars…

Refrigerator-toasters…

Excuse me sir, but refrigerator-toasters are already here, they go by the name Windows 8 or Surface, lol

• Reply 47 of 169
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I believe that people wearing Google Glass who are violating other people's privacy deserve to be physically assaulted. 

I'll punch them right in their face, if they are looking at me while wearing their Google Glass. Hopefully they have insurance for their intrusive Google gadget.

Society must take a stand and make it clear that such devices are not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

• Reply 48 of 169
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I believe that people wearing Google Glass who are violating other people's privacy deserve to be physically assaulted. 

I'll punch them right in their face, if they are looking at me while wearing their Google Glass. Hopefully they have insurance for their intrusive Google gadget.

Society must take a stand and make it clear that such devices are not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

What's your reaction when you see the back of a cellphone pointed in your direction? Do you assume they're taking a picture or video of you? They might be. Or maybe they're just checking their mail or playing a game. But why take any chance, "punch them right in their face" just to be sure. ;)
  • Reply 49 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What's your reaction when you see a cellphone camera pointed in your direction? Do you assume they're taking a picture or video of you? They might be. Or maybe they're just checking their mail or playing a game. But why take any chance, "punch them right in their face" just to be sure. image

If someone is obviously pointing their cellphone at me then I would confront them. Fortunately this hasn't happened so far. I wouldn't punch them in the face, mind you.

• Reply 50 of 169
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

ITG alert!

Such devices are acceptable, and will be tolerated, and will eventually come out of cupertino. We're just highlighting how ridiculous Google's current attempt looks -- they won't always look so ridiculous though.

• Reply 51 of 169
    Quote:

What's your reaction when you see a cellphone camera pointed in your direction? Do you assume they're taking a picture or video of you? They might be. Or maybe they're just checking their mail or playing a game. But why take any chance, "punch them right in their face" just to be sure. image

I don't buy the argument that certain people make, when they compare Google Glass to a cellphone camera or when people compare Google Glass to surveillance cameras.

With a cell phone, it still has to be pointed in your general direction, and if somebody was pointing a cell phone at me for a period of time, then I would become suspicious too.

With Google Glass, it's worn on the face, and there's no way of knowing what the anti-social pervert wearing them is up to, and I do not give the benefit of the doubt to those people, and I believe that an increasing number of them will find themselves in troubling situations in the future, and I 

wont feel the least bit sorry when I read about yet another news story about some Google Glass wearer who got assaulted or robbed or whatever, because the majority of them have so far deserved it.

• Reply 52 of 169
    If someone is obviously pointing their cellphone at me then I would confront them. Fortunately this hasn't happened so far. I wouldn't punch them in the face, mind you.

If you've been out in public someones phone back has almost certainly been pointing in your direction. That you don't notice speaks to how common it is.
  • Reply 53 of 169
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

EDIT: Over a hundred years ago a civil engineer named John Watkins made some predictions about life a hundred years in the future. Here's the page as printed in the Ladies' Home Journal. He did pretty darn good IMO.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7010/6635615985_633d660428_o.jpg

I made it to point 5- and he's wrong on all of it.

Nicaragua, Mexico, and other latin american countries aren't part of the union

Building in blocks isn't illegal, it doesnt take "minutes" to travel from the suburbs, and fares sure as hell aint a penny.

There is a C, Q, and X in the alphabet. English isn't first- it's third.  Chinese is first.  Russian isn't second, its 8th

Hot and cold air is kind of accurate, but its definitely not coming from a central plant similar to how we get electricity- and we didn't need 100 years- it was in private homes by 1933.  In fact, the furnace was invented 100 years prior to this article.

No mosquitos or flies.  hah!

It was a slightly interesting read, but accurate?  Anyone can make 200 claims and have a handful hit.  I'd say he's about as accurate as your Google rantings.  Lots of throwing but very little sticking.

• Reply 54 of 169
    Quote:

If you've been out in public someones phone back has almost certainly been pointing in your direction. That you don't notice speaks to how common it is.

... and you don't know me. I'm very observant. If someone is obviously pointing a phone at me, unless it is a long distance away, I will notice.

• Reply 55 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Nicaragua, Mexico, and other latin american countries aren't part of the union
    Building in blocks isn't illegal, it doesnt take "minutes" to travel from the suburbs, and fares sure as hell aint a penny.
    There is a C, Q, and X in the alphabet. English isn't first- it's third.  Chinese is first.  Russian isn't second, its 8th
    Hot and cold air is kind of accurate, but its definitely not coming from a central plant similar to how we get electricity- and we didn't need 100 years- it was in private homes by 1933.  In fact, the furnace was invented 100 years prior to this article.
    No mosquitos or flies.  hah!

It was a slightly interesting read, but accurate?  Anyone can make 200 claims and have a handful hit.  I'd say he's about as accurate as your Google rantings.  Lots of throwing but very little sticking.

Excellent points but some of those are debatable depending on how you measure them. For example, English may not be the number one FIRST language but in regards to spoken and written languages I think it likely has the highest number of speakers and writers, as well as the highest usage due to the English-based entertainment being so prevalent and popular and the internet being based around it. (Allow me to Inception my example: For example, China Mobile has a completely English version of their website but I see no American telco with a Mandarin version of their website despite there being nearly being 1 billion native speakers.
  • Reply 56 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and you don't know me. I'm very observant. If someone is obviously pointing a phone at me, unless it is a long distance away, I will notice.

Same here. I'm also very observant, and if I'm on a subway car filled with people, I notice what everybody around me is doing. Most of them have their heads buried in their phones. If one of them were pointing their phone at me, I would definitely notice.

If there was some creep sitting across from me wearing their Google Glass and looking at me, there is going to be trouble.

• Reply 57 of 169
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ITG alert!

Such devices are acceptable, and will be tolerated, and will eventually come out of cupertino. We're just highlighting how ridiculous Google's current attempt looks -- they won't always look so ridiculous though.

As I've said here about five times in the past, the problem with Glass is that it's monocular. It breaks the symmetry of the face, and the deepest wiring we have as humans is set to expect a face that has two eyes in side-by-side balance, from earliest infancy. This is why Glass repels and provokes anger, even if you know it's not recording.

If Apple comes out with a wearable display, expect it to be binocular, in stereo, in other words. Why bother if it's not 3D? Also, we should expect Apple to make it obvious that it's recording if it includes cameras—again, two for stereo. Concern for privacy is baked into Apple's founding charter. That's basic psychedelic politics, for those who are too young to know.
  • Reply 58 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

He accurately predicted my particular business expertise in the last paragraph.

Quote:

Microscopes will lay bare the vital organs, through the living flesh, of men and animals. The living body will to all medical purposes be transparent. Not only will it be possible for a physician to actually see a living, throbbing heart inside the chest, but he will be able to magnify and photograph any part of it. The work will be done with rays of invisible light. 

• Reply 59 of 169
    andysol wrote: »

Read beyond the headline. Here's one commenter:

"Ready-Cooked Meal Will Be Bought" - Yeah, that one's true. That's, like, my whole diet as a college student.

"No Foods Will Be Exposed" - All my meat comes wrapped in plastic, all my chips come in loud-ass crinkly bags.

"Coal Will Not Be Used for Heating or Cooking" - Gas and electric stoves, microwaves, geo-thermal heating, air-conditioning....

"Photographs Will Be Telegraphed" - Well, considering I'm looking at a photograph of a newspaper on the Internet...

"Automobiles Will Be Cheaper Than Horses" - Horses ain't cheap, I bought my truck I used for 5 years for 2000, a horse would run me, what, 7000?

"Aerial War Ships and Forts on Wheels" - Bomber planes and tanks. Next?

"Man Will See Around the World" - I could link you to that video of that dude dancing everywhere in the world. I won't, but you know the one.

"Grand Opera Will Be Telephoned" - I've seen a live show or two on the Internet.

"How Children Will Be Taught" - "A university education will be free to every man and woman". Well, you know, as long as you don't live in America.

"Black, Blue, and Green Roses" - Well, apparently black roses are an actual thing if my prank calls to 1-800-Flowers is any evidence

And from a BBC article noting he was pretty accurate on 10 of the 29 predictions:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16444966
  • Reply 60 of 169
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"Ready-Cooked Meal Will Be Bought" - Yeah, that one's true. That's, like, my whole diet as a college student.

Where he also said they would be delivered to private homes via pneumatic tubes- then the dishes would be returned via the same pneumatic tubes.

Quote:
     "No Foods Will Be Exposed" - All my meat comes wrapped in plastic, all my chips come in loud-ass crinkly bags.

How about your Bananas, lettuce, and almost all produce- essentially?  And arrested if you don't?  Lol

Quote:
     "Coal Will Not Be Used for Heating or Cooking" - Gas and electric stoves, microwaves, geo-thermal heating, air-conditioning....

Where he also said our main source of electricity would instead come from water.  From the seacoast's waves that does the work Niagra is doing today- making electricity for heat light and fuel.

Quote:
     "Photographs Will Be Telegraphed" - Well, considering I'm looking at a photograph of a newspaper on the Internet...

Bingo- got one perfect.

Quote:
     "Aerial War Ships and Forts on Wheels" - Bomber planes and tanks. Next?

How original.  

1487- Da Vinci

I can make armored cars, safe and unassailable, which will enter the close ranks of the enemy with their artillery, and no company of soldiers is so great that it will not break through them. And behind these the infantry will be able to follow quite unharmed and without any opposition

He also mentioned we'd have forts made of steel impervious to bombs.  We would have huge forts on wheels that are faster than express trains.

My favorite is that he said our air ships would hide themselves with mist, and that we could throw thunderbolts down on them.  So he predicted Storm from X-men?

Quote:
    "How Children Will Be Taught" - "A university education will be free to every man and woman". Well, you know, as long as you don't live in America.

The only point he was more wrong on was how fit we were going to be.

Quote:

And from a BBC article noting he was pretty accurate on 10 of the 29 predictions:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16444966

*yawn*

This is why I said it's dumb.  It wasn't 29 predictions.  The "first" had 4- all wrong, the "second" had 6- 5 of which were wrong, the "third" had 4- all wrong, etc etc

In fact- of the first "5" predictions I mentioned, he was wrong in 19 of his 21 predictions.  So like I said earlier- he made closer to 200 predictions- not 29.  So 10-20 correct out of 200 doesn't impress me- I assure you any intelligent person of today can throw out 200 predictions and have 20+ stick.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He accurately predicted my particular business expertise in the last paragraph.

Definitely.  That was why I said slightly interesting.  ;)

Regardless- Google Glass sucks.