Google "dismantled" Android hardware initiatives after buying Nest, claims disputed report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    The strangest thing about this gator guy, is the litany of links he presents in support of a certain advertising and search company while seeming to have great difficulty in finding anything that backs up anything negative about said advertising and search company.

I've actually been the first to report news here at AI casting Google in a negative light on more than one occasion, starting a new thread myself in one or tow instances since news submittals made to AI are ignored. That you chose to either not read them or make believe it didn't happen isn't something I have a cure for. As far as finding supporting links for negative Google news reported by you and others is there a need for it? I think that's well covered already. :D
  • Reply 22 of 43
    I didn't check the author, once I read "epically embarassing failures" I knew who wrote it anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member

From the horse's mouth:

https://nest.com/legal/web-site-privacy-policy/

Device Usage information: If you are logged into your Nest account, we record the IP address you visit our website from, and if you have a Nest Learning Thermostat™or Nest Protect™, we record adjustments you make to the product through the website interface. We store this data along with your email address, information about your Nest device, data collected directly by the device, a history of your device settings, and any other information we have collected about your use of Nest products and services.

Online Tracking and Your Choices:

As discussed above, because we track website usage information through the use of cookies for analytic and internal purposes only, your selection of the “Do Not Track” option provided by your browser may not have any effect on our collection of cookie information for these purposes. The only way to completely “opt out” of the collection of any information through cookies or other tracking technology is to actively manage the settings on your browser or mobile device to delete and disable cookies and other tracking/recording tools. 

https://nest.com/legal/privacy-statement/ Policy active as of October 8, 2013.

Ask your permission before sharing your Personally Identifiable Information with third parties for purposes other than to provide Nest’s services, and to do so only when we think they will provide you with a welcome additional service.

With whom does Nest share my information?

Under no circumstance do we share Personally Identifiable Information for any commercial or marketing purpose unrelated to the delivery of Nest Products and services without asking you first. Period. We do not rent or sell our customer lists.

-----There's a lot more on Nest's website to read through. The privacy statement was last updated almost a year ago. This was well before Google bought them yet they haven't updated their statement. I'm sure things have changed since.

I bought my Nest thermostat soon after it was released and I don't remember if they ever asked my permission to share any of my permission. Maybe they did but they haven't asked since. I did delete my user account at www.myenergy.com but my thermostat still shows my original account name. The only way to get rid of that would be to reset the thermostat.

• Reply 24 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    negafox wrote: »
    Google I/O 2014 is later this week. I expect Android Insider to have full coverage, followed up with DED hyperbole articles.
    Oh for sure. This place is obsessed with Google/Android and Samsung. Really makes me wonder if DED/AI has some sort of inferiority complex or aren't as bullish on Apple as they'd like us to believe. Apple spends very little time focusing on the competition, never features them in ads. That's what confident companies do. If AI/DED were that confident about Apple they wouldn't focus so much of their energy on Google and Samsung.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    solipsismx wrote: »

PS: This whole Motorola sues companies, not Google, and Nest will be completely independent of Google, yet still owned by Google, is sort of like mobsters get away with crimes. They hire out the hits so they can keep their hands technically clean. "I was eating dinner with my family when that particular tragedy happened. I have 100 witnesses that can attest to my whereabouts. Ooooh!" (For some reason I imagined that as Andrew Dice Clay)

Motorola didn't sue anyone while under Google's ownership that I'm aware of and Nest has given no indication they can't be trusted. Both are imagined issues IMHO that are meant to serve an agenda. I'm not saying it's your agenda but if someone believes what's written at AI they would be forgiven for thinking that Motorola was suing left and right and Tony Faddell has already lied about Nest privacy under Google's watch.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »

"Users will have to opt in for their information to be shared with Google, Rogers said. “We’re not becoming part of the greater Google machine,” he said.

The news comes as Nest said it will allow developers of appliances, light fixtures, garage door openers and more to access user information, part of Nest’s bid to be the operating system for the smart home.

The data sharing, particularly with Google, raises questions about user privacy. “What will happen to all this data? That is something that Google and Nest will have to be careful about,” said Gartner analyst Brian Blau. “There’s a higher expectation of privacy when you are in your home.”

Rogers tried to ease concerns when Google announced the Nest acquisition in January. “Our privacy policy clearly limits the use of customer information to providing and improving Nest’s products and services. We’ve always taken privacy seriously and this will not change,” he wrote in a blog post.

Most of the data that Nest will share – with Google and others – will focus on whether users are at home or not, as detected by sensors on the thermostat.
    When people link a home device and related account with Nest, the company will not share their email address, name or home address with other companies, Rogers said.

Each company linking to Nest, including Google, will have to write to users explaining what data they are using and how they will use the information, Rogers said. There will also be a way to un-link the devices from Nest with one click through its mobile app, he added.

The integration with Google will be like “any other third party,” said Rogers."

Hmmm... So users decide to share information with a 3rd party, not Nest deciding for them. Personal information isn't shared at all, even with Google. And Google can't use any Nest information for ad targeting and is treated just the same as any other 3rd party when it comes to applications and interfacing with Nest. Thanks for that link Soli. That should help others here understand a little better.

As far as ads on Nest the statement you point to was made in a 2013 SEC filing, well before the Nest deal. Subsequently both Nest and Google have clarified that if you own a Nest device "no ads for you".
    http://recode.net/2014/05/21/nests-tony-fadell-no-ads-on-thermostats/

Competitors and their supporters will go out of their way to keep potential privacy issues front and center to drown out positive benefits of whole-home control particularly served from Nest. Google will push back just as hard to ensure users of Nest products and their licensees never have a "privacy moment" that causes them to question their choice. There won't be an "oops we didn't mean to do that". IMHO Google ain't going to do sumpthin' stoopid to screw up a billion dollar purchase that put them square in the center of a burgeoning home automation business.

I believe Google's focus for the future involves hardware and services a whole lot more than finding another set of eyeballs for a piddly ad. Giving ammunition to foes brandishing currently empty guns won't be in Google's interest in making that happen.

I totally trust Google not to change the terms just like Lando trusted Vader.

Google probably has a workaround in place just like they did with Safari.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    jungmark wrote: »
    I totally trust Google not to change the terms just like Lando trusted Vader.

Google probably has a workaround in place just like they did with Safari.

And if they do they'll be prosecuted just as they were with their Safari bypass. You just can't put something in writing but do something else that violates it.That's especially true for a Google or Apple that is constantly under the microscope. They'd never get away with it unharmed.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Motorola didn't sue anyone while under Google's ownership that I'm aware of and Nest has given no indication they can't be trusted. Both are imagined issues IMHO that are meant to serve an agenda. I'm not saying it's your agenda but if someone believes what's written at AI they would be forgiven for thinking that Motorola was suing left and right and Tony Faddell has already lied about Nest privacy under Google's watch.

Let also keep in mind when Google bought Motorola, they kept them as a whole own subsidiary just like Nest. they also put in place google insiders to make sure Motorola did what they wanted. Your not 100% correct that Motorola did not sue anyone when they were owned by Google, they did not sue any new companies they continue there activities against Apple and add more suits on. Google was quite aware of Motorola attempts to coerce Apple to signing all the Iphone rights over to Motorola as part of the SEP apple was infringing on. Google never shut it down they actually turned up some of the heat on the activities against Apple.

All we know now is that Google and Apple agreed to stop any further lawsuits and I am curious if part of the agreement was that apple paid Motorola what was owed to them for their Cellphone SEP licenses. or did they both agree to just walk away.  

• Reply 29 of 43
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Of course Google will have access to Nest data since they own the company. Even Tony Fadell has stated Nest has access to that data, "The data that we collect is all about our products and improving them.”

2) Here is Matt Rogers saying Google will be getting access to Nest user data.

3) And here an article about Google wanting the option to deliver targeted ads through your home appliances.

You're second point conveniently forgets that it is opt-in (you're own link clearly states this). Therefor your data will not be shared with Google automatically only when you choose to. F.e. when you choose to combine your Nest device with Google Now (something that is rumored to be introduced at I/O), then it is inevitable that some data would be shared with Google, else the service couldn't work. As long as you have a choice not to use Google Services there is no problem. Now if you would be obligated to use Google Services when using Nest then there is a problem, but that's not the case.

• Reply 30 of 43
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

All we know now is that Google and Apple agreed to stop any further lawsuits and I am curious if part of the agreement was that apple paid Motorola what was owed to them for their Cellphone SEP licenses. or did they both agree to just walk away.  

There is no evidence of a money exchange, but we might not know all the details of course.

• Reply 31 of 43
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerard View Post

I'm glad this story was written because I own a nest thermostat and nest protect. I'm already returning the protect for a full refund because of the recall. Now I have to get rid of the thermostat because of these plans. I will be replacing them with Apple Home Kit partners.

I like that Apple tends to not respond to rumors. Tony's immediate rebuttal about his role reminded me of his immediate denial that Google would not gain access to Nest's user data. Both the rebuttal and denial sound false. The denial was proven false soon after it was made. The rebuttal may be proven false during Google I/O this week.

If Tony is proven false, this would be strike two on the trust me scale in less than six months!

I think he is doing everything he can to stay separate (as was probably agreed too by Google). Once he is fully vested from the acquisition, I am pretty sure he will exit as fast as he can. It seems he only wants their money. Can't say I fault him for that. I wouldn't mind taking their money either. :)

• Reply 32 of 43
    maestro64 wrote: »
    "Your not 100% correct that Motorola did not sue anyone when they were owned by Google, they did not sue any new companies they continue there activities against Apple and add more suits on.

What new lawsuits are you referring to? Are you sure you're not confused with appeals of lawsuits that were filed and actively being litigated prior to Google's buy?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

What a mess...image

Of all the things said in this thread, this sums up the Google ecosystem and this thread.

Not that it matters at all though.

• Reply 34 of 43
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

What new lawsuits are you referring to? Are you sure you're not confused with appeals of lawsuits that were filed and actively being litigated prior to Google's buy?

Well, it says here that Motorola sued Apple at the ITC to ban Apple imports from Asia in August 2012, a year or so after Google announced it was buying it.

• Reply 35 of 43
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Well, it says here that Motorola sued Apple at the ITC to ban Apple imports from Asia in August 2012, a year or so after Google announced it was buying it.
    Well it says here that Moto asked it be dropped just weeks after filing it.
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/02/googlemotorola-unilaterally-drop-itc-patent-infringement-case-against-apple/
  • Reply 37 of 43
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

And if they do they'll be prosecuted just as they were with their Safari bypass. You just can't put something in writing but do something else that violates it.That's especially true for a Google or Apple that is constantly under the microscope. They'd never get away with it unharmed.

oh you mean like selling the Pixel w/ two-years of data plan, then taking it away?

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/06/24/as-best-they-can

• Reply 38 of 43
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Well it says here that Moto asked it be dropped just weeks after filing it.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/02/googlemotorola-unilaterally-drop-itc-patent-infringement-case-against-apple/

That's odd, for two reasons.

First, why would a company drop an import ban lawsuit just weeks after filing it? At the time, folks though maybe it was because Google and Apple reached a settlement. But we now know that that was not reached until much later- indeed, after Google announced it was selling the carcass of MM for a fraction of what they paid for it. Of course, in April of 2012, the other shoe dropped, as the EU announced they were opening antitrust actions against Motorola for FRAND patent abuse. Hmmm.

The other, even odder thing, is that just a ways up in this thread, you were pretty sure that Motorola had never sued anyone- certainly not Apple- while it was owned by Google. And when that was revealed to be not exactly true, you seemed to have a excuse for Motorola pretty much at your fingertips...

• Reply 39 of 43
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

oh you mean like selling the Pixel w/ two-years of data plan, then taking it away?

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/06/24/as-best-they-can

They're refunding those customers (http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/06/google-gives-150-apology-to-chromebook-owners-deprived-of-verizon-data/).

• Reply 40 of 43
    colinngcolinng Posts: 116member
    Quote:

$150 is NOT a refund. It won't connect your Pixel for a year on Verizon, or any carrier. I suspect one of the major selling points was the data plan - else - why would they have offered it with the Pixel? And now those 13 Pixel owners are stuck with a lobotomized machine.