Apple TV gains 4 new channels, including ABC News with live video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2014
Parents, news junkies, and sports fans now have a number of new streaming content options from Apple as the company added channels for ABC News, PBS Kids, AOL On, and Willow as part of an over-the-air update Tuesday morning.

ABC News brings both live and on-demand streaming coverage of current events, with most content open to users without a cable subscription. The channel will broadcast hourly news updates as well as four to five live reports each day, and viewers can access a growing archive of historical footage from the venerable network.

The addition of ABC News -- which will also bring local content from stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh, Fresno, and Milwaukee at launch -- is the latest in a long line of collaborations between Apple and ABC parent Disney, of which late Apple CEO Steve Jobs was a major shareholder. The Apple TV already hosts a number of channels from Disney's children's programming segment as well as subscription-based content from ABC and ESPN.

"We are very excited to be extending our leadership and innovation onto an amazing platform like Apple TV," ABC News Digital executive Joe Ruffolo said in a release. "Utilizing hours of live video each day, opening up our archives, extending our strong local brands, and bringing the trust of ABC News to our users when and where they want it."

Also coming along for the rid is another channel from the Public Broadcasting Service, which itself first appeared on Apple TV last fall. PBS Kids adds content from a number of popular childrens' shows, including Arthur, Curious George, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Sesame Street.

Other new options rolled out Tuesday include international cricket channel Willow, content from AOL's On streaming video service, and a revamped app for photo sharing service Flickr.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    We're gonna need folders for all those Apple TV apps/channels
  • Reply 2 of 44
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,239member
    "ABC News brings both live and on-demand streaming coverage of current events, with most content open to users without a cable subscription." It's about time we don't need cable to watch a broadcast show. ABC is broadcast for free over free airwaves so adding this channel should be free for everyone.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    This is starting to get pretty awesome. The interface is due for an update, I suspect it is not far off, or perhaps tied to OS 8 .
  • Reply 4 of 44
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The addition of ABC News -- which will also bring local content from stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh, Fresno, and Milwaukee at launch

Why these cities?  Some seem odd (fresno, milwaukee, raleigh)

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Only if you use all of them.  I have the vast majority hidden and only have the ones up I use- which is about 14 or so (inc. settings, movies, computer, etc).

Only going to keep PBS Kids.  I would keep ABC news if it had Dallas- it should eventually.

I'm ok with the UI.  That might change depending on how thorough the next update will be (if theres an app store, etc).

Really, I just want safari more than anything at this point because I travel so much.  I hate not being able to use my Apple TV at several hotels.

• Reply 5 of 44
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member

The tiring thing about Apple TV it remains so US centric with it's various channel additions..  Why can't they add BBC iplayer for a start? Oh yea, because it's almost too good!

• Reply 6 of 44
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,030member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

With the exception of Milwaukee, those are stations owned by ABC, including Fresno and Raleigh. The addition of Milwaukee is curious since it is owned by Hearst (which also owns Boston and Baltimore ABC affiliates).

• Reply 7 of 44
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I wish I could chose an ABC affiliate from my state, instead of the nearby affiliate from an adjacent state.  That would be groundbreaking.

• Reply 8 of 44
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Because I live in the Milwaukee service area and own Apple stock. Timmy listens to me. ;-)

• Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Not if you don't live in the US.

• Reply 10 of 44
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

The tiring thing about Apple TV it remains so US centric with it's various channel additions..  Why can't they add BBC iplayer for a start? Oh yea, because it's almost too good!

Because the BBC wants to restrict access to their content to Brits (and probably to Brits who have TV licenses)?

• Reply 11 of 44

Sure. well, they can do that, surely, no?  

1) They do it for the many US centric channels!

2) BBC iPlayer is available on other set top boxes so i don't think it's a BBC side issue.

3) Just like with the (UK version of) iPlayer on the iPad and iPhone too - It's available on the UK store only. Sure some people will use VPN and set up a UK account, but I can't see why Apple can't give the BBC a space for UK registered accounts. 

I suspect it's more to do with the fact that BBC iPlayer already provides a pretty impressive catch up service which Apple will want to showcase in its next-gem Apple TV, when other providers have 'caught up'

• Reply 12 of 44
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    wdowell wrote: »

At least there's a cricket channel, so you can watch England lose at another sport besides soccer.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Still waiting for whatever Steve "cracked" to show up. Hopefully we'll at least get some ATV update this fall otherwise it really will be falling behind competitor offerings.
  • Reply 14 of 44

lol :D

• Reply 15 of 44
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

BBC iPlayer is available on other set top boxes so i don't think it's a BBC side issue.

It's reasons like this that I am hopeful they have an App store.  The detractors of this (looking at you Tallest) ask what's the point.  But this is an obvious one.  BBC would absolutely have an app by now if there was a store (as would Vudu, Aero, Amazon, etc).

An app store removes any agenda Apple might have, and they simply just have standard requirements.  Might not be good for Apple to have Amazon or Vudu on their ATV, but it'd be good for several consumers.

Please Apple? :)

• Reply 16 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is starting to get pretty awesome. The interface is due for an update, I suspect it is not far off, or perhaps tied to OS 8 .
    God I hope so. That UI is stuck in the stone age. John Gruber claims Apple has some of its best engineers working on ATV. Hopefully we see the fruits of their labor soon.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Really need a more functional interface.. to many icons to deal with.. needs a new format.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    heli0sheli0s Posts: 65member
    ATV is starting to be a bit hard to navigate with all these new buttons. I'm sure Apple is working on a better UI with more streamlined discovery. Hope to see a new version announced in August along with the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. iWatch may happen next year, is my guess.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

It's reasons like this that I am hopeful they have an App store.  The detractors of this (looking at you Tallest) ask what's the point.  But this is an obvious one.  BBC would absolutely have an app by now if there was a store (as would Vudu, Aero, Amazon, etc).

An app store removes any agenda Apple might have, and they simply just have standard requirements.  Might not be good for Apple to have Amazon or Vudu on their ATV, but it'd be good for several consumers.

Please Apple? :)

It would be good for Apple if their end goal is to move AppleTVs for profit.  It would be bad if they had some sort of subscription model of their own coming, which I doubt.

I don't see why having an Amazon Prime channel is any different than Netflix (besides Netflix not coming out with Tablets/Phones - but if someone wants to buy an Amazon Fire, why not tempt them to get an AppleTV by allowing them to watch content on it)?

• Reply 20 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The cricket channel? WTF?

At least it's easy to hide icons now, and it looks like I will have four extra icons to hide on my Apple TV when I turn it on later.