Apple continues to experiment with super-low pricing as new $1,099 iMac already discounted to $979,

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    At first, I thought this $1,099 iMac was a stupid move by Apple.  But as was posted elsewhere, it's a good marketing tool, because for not much more money, you can buy the next better iMac.  

Yep... Apple has always been good at getting you in the door with a low price and moving you towards the next product.

I remember long ago when the 8GB iPod Touch was $229.... but for $299 you could get a 32GB iPod Touch.

Who in their right mind would actually buy the 8GB model at that price?

The old 64GB Macbook Air was a similar situation.... for only $100 more you could double the storage space to 128GB.

And here we are again... the $1,099 iMac gets you in the door... but the one you REALLY want is the $1,299 model (which was there already)

The $1,299 model suddenly looks more attractive... even though it was there all along.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Plan large purchases around visits to states without state sales taxes, like Oregon.

The ability to "get away with" something does not make it any more ethical.  Use taxes are owed whether one mail-orders a product or drives across state lines and brings it in. Generally, if one pays sales tax in the state of purchase, other states are willing to overlook the use tax due when the item is brought in.  It is entirely reasonable for IL to assess a use tax on a purchase I make in OR, when I bring it into IL.

• Reply 23 of 81
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Here's something radical they could do - a two or three slot minitower along the lines of the IIcx or IIci.

In other words, the xMac. A GLARING hole in their product line right now image

I'd rather have functional than thin, please. And the ability to not only pick but CHANGE my graphics card. Apple flat out SUCKS with their complete lack of GPU selection. It's slightly tolerable on laptops, but inexcusable on desktops to have NOT ONE that lets you pick or change your graphic card.

You sound like you're in the wrong forum. Who are you talking to? Maybe 10 years ago but that boat has sailed. You should try a PC. They let you mix and match components until you're blue in the face if that's what you're into ;-)

• Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And here we are again... the $1,099 iMac gets you in the door... but the one you REALLY want is the $1,299 model (which was there already)

The $1,299 model suddenly looks more attractive... even though it was there all along.

Yes, but if you're a student (or college), the $830 "new" iMac is actually probably all you need for email and basic tasks.  But if you need the power, the next-better Mac is now $470 more expensive.  I think Apple has a winner, with the $830 student pricing, as well as a "teaser" machine for non-academics paying full-fare.  And Joe-consumer can still get a bargain from some of the big-box outlets.

• Reply 25 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

[...] Slots? Forget it. They're so '90s.

...and I won't miss them a bit ONCE THERE'S A WAY TO CONNECT A GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR VIA THUNDERBOLT!

...and some companies quit clinging to cards for DSP (Avid, RME).

I hate transition periods.

• Reply 26 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Glad I don't like in Illinois.  In my state they ask a similar question but there is no suggestion that they verify it.  Moreover, we actually get an income tax deduction based on the inferred amount that we spent on sales tax (and I believe if you have document that you spent more than expected, you can claim that higher amount).

Same here...such as NY for example. Its mentioned on the NYS Tax Return to enter in all of your purchases. Everyone, and I mean everyone I know just checks the box that says I haven't made any internet purchases that didn't have tax already paid. NY gets enough of my money as it is. They don't need anymore of it. 

• Reply 27 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The ability to "get away with" something does not make it any more ethical.  Use taxes are owed whether one mail-orders a product or drives across state lines and brings it in. Generally, if one pays sales tax in the state of purchase, other states are willing to overlook the use tax due when the item is brought in.  It is entirely reasonable for IL to assess a use tax on a purchase I make in OR, when I bring it into IL.

I do not view taxes as ethical and I'm an American citizen. My views are currently unfairly maligned and demonized.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Well aren't we just a perfect little angel...

• Reply 29 of 81
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Glad I don't like in Illinois.  In my state they ask a similar question but there is no suggestion that they verify it.  Moreover, we actually get an income tax deduction based on the inferred amount that we spent on sales tax (and I believe if you have document that you spent more than expected, you can claim that higher amount).

I have that too in Texas.  But I have to look at myself in the mirror, and I have to teach my kids that stealing is wrong- even if it's from an insitution I think over-taxes me as it is.  But that's the "burden" I bear by living in America.  If you're cool teaching your kids to cheat and steal (yes, even a "little" stealing is still stealing), by all means- do it.  That's on you.  Me?  The $500 a year I save on internet sales taxes isn't worth the damage to my character.

• Reply 30 of 81
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

A pattern to combat the shrinking market of desktop...

• Reply 31 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intel's next-generation Broadwell chips aren't slated to begin arriving until later this year, leaving Apple in a difficult spot where it can't significantly boost the speed or battery life of its Macs. As a result, Apple has instead focused on more affordable options with its Mac hardware refreshes thus far.

Here's a thought.  Apple could update the Mac mini with a Haswell chip while waiting for Intel to get their proverbial Broadwell shit together.

• Reply 32 of 81
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Quote:

Here's something radical they could do - a two or three slot minitower along the lines of the IIcx or IIci.

In other words, the xMac. A GLARING hole in their product line right now image

I'd rather have functional than thin, please. And the ability to not only pick but CHANGE my graphics card. Apple flat out SUCKS with their complete lack of GPU selection. It's slightly tolerable on laptops, but inexcusable on desktops to have NOT ONE that lets you pick or change your graphic card.

Hate to burst your bubble but I don't think this will happen -- ever again. Back in the day of the Iici/IIcx the ci was typically a > $5000.00 USD investment every 1.5 years.

I am a developer and at that time I was buying a new Mac about every other release and even with the generous discounts for developers (which paid another $1500/year/person for the ability to join). It was damned expensive.

Now I buy an iMac every 5 years or so (a BTO maxed out on graphics, processor, screen size etc.) and it works for me at about $3000.00 every 5 years. I don't have to worry about the complications that come from supporting machines that have all sorts of stuff plugged in with drvrs and inits that make the System less stable. I have not yet run into a problem even building 1+ million line projects from the ground up (not daily of course). The typical code, build, run, debug, repeat cycle the processor is waiting on me. True, I am not a big gamer  so I can see where that might be an issue for some I don't think it supports the mini Tower.

The Mac Pro is beautiful, it actually cost less that a Iici with a system that would run circles around it (and a 4K monitor to boot). The Mac mini is a nice headless machine and it could use a refresh but I wouldn't expect a faster GPU option for it.

IMHO, with so much of the market moving to laptop machines and iPads I just don't see the point from a business point of view for building a mini Tower.

• Reply 33 of 81
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Ha! And who does that? LOL

Many of us do.  In some states, such as Illinois, the annual tax return requires you to enter a payment of "use tax due for internet purchases".  If you don't have your records, you can pay a fixed fee of 0.06% of your adjusted gross income.  The State warns you that they obtain information "from third parties" and perform routine audits (i.e., their computer audits everyone), and assess penalties and interest.  They could easily have credit card records, etc.  

I think you are assuming that we all have a state income tax. Those of us in Texas don't Oregon, and Alaska is still paying a dividend I think. AFAIK we are the only ones without a state income tax.

• Reply 34 of 81
    apple ][ wrote: »
    That's what I'm waiting on.:)
    How long has it been since the last Mini Refresh? I'd love to grab one myself.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Here’s something radical they could do…

Radical: doing the exact same thing that everyone else does, to absolutely no effect, profit, or success.

Learn something new every day.

I'd rather have functional than thin, please.

So buy the iMac. It’s both.

And the ability to not only pick but CHANGE my graphics card.

Did you just wake up from a 17 year coma?

…but inexcusable on desktops to have NOT ONE that lets you pick or change your graphic card. 

Or, you know, maybe you just don’t get it. Buy a late model Mac Pro if you want swappable GPUs.

• Reply 36 of 81
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Well aren't we just a perfect little angel...

Really? You feel that honesty and ethics are worthy of your scorn and ridicule?

The irony is that your post says much more about YOU than him!

• Reply 37 of 81
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Here's a thought.  Apple could update the Mac mini with a Haswell chip while waiting for Intel to get their proverbial Broadwell shit together.

It's irony day on AI today, this one being that your idea is great but it's probably too late! :)

• Reply 38 of 81
    amador_oamador_o Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I have that too in Texas.  But I have to look at myself in the mirror, and I have to teach my kids that stealing is wrong- even if it's from an insitution I think over-taxes me as it is.  But that's the "burden" I bear by living in America.  If you're cool teaching your kids to cheat and steal (yes, even a "little" stealing is still stealing), by all means- do it.  That's on you.  Me?  The $500 a year I save on internet sales taxes isn't worth the damage to my character.

I find it interesting that with all the recent events, people still accept the idea the government owns everything.

• Reply 39 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How long has it been since the last Mini Refresh? I'd love to grab one myself.

I know the answer to that, because the topic came up last night and I looked it up.

As of today, it'll be 609 days.:)

• Reply 40 of 81
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member

You're kidding right? 256GB is not nearly enough storage for a home computer. Between music, photos and movies, 1TB is minimum. I do like the Fusion/hybrid drive so the OS and live on the flash storage and everything just boots and runs faster.