Apple continues to experiment with super-low pricing as new $1,099 iMac already discounted to $979,

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Clovertown was added as a top option. I don't know if I would call that a true refresh.

Right, it was Woodcrest. I absolutely don’t consider the addition of a single chip to be a refresh, as some do *coughMacRumorscough*

• Reply 62 of 81
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, it was Woodcrest. I absolutely don’t consider the addition of a single chip to be a refresh, as some do *coughMacRumorscough*

Yeah their buyer's guide is really silly, and they have been have incorrect on specs before (even when I sent corrections related to intel cpus). According to everymac, there was a year and 5 months between woodcrest and harpertown. On a side note, someone at intel watches too many spy movies. That would be approximately 515 days (365 + 150). I don't expect them to go that long with the new mac pro. Chipsets change after this as they do every other generation with the EP chips. They'll probably update in the first half of next year, assuming Haswell EP doesn't slide. The base chip model in intel's lineup is supposed to go to a 6 core standard at that point. I haven't looked at AMD lately. I'm more interested in the fact that you can use compute shaders in iOS, although I still haven't gotten around to it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

There's nothing unethical about avoiding paying taxes unnecessarily.  So yes, it's most certainly worthy of scorn and ridicule.

It is against state law in most states. It's just not always enforced. On a very large purchase ($10k+) they would be more likely to notice. It's not actually illegal to order from the out of state vendor. It's just often in violation of certain laws to not pay it after the fact. In cases of willful circumvention such as having something shipped to an out of state address when you reside within the state for the sole purpose of avoiding it (like having something shipped from a vendor in state to a friend out of state who would then ship it to you), that is actually considered sales tax evasion. In that case people have gone to jail as opposed to just receiving an assessment bill.

• Reply 63 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That actually depends on the definition of "unnecessarily." If it means "voluntarily submitting monies that are not due" you'd be right.

If it means, as in this case, "submitting monies that are due despite the fact that there's very little chance of being punished if you don't" then it becomes a perfect test of ethical conviction.

Either way, even if you think he's wrong, I really don't understand why you would consider that grounds for derision? It doesn't affect you in the slightest. I have a lot of respect for people who are willing to do the right thing without needing the threat of punishment to make them do it.

What do you think of "taxation without representation" and what are your thoughts on your tax money being used to wage senseless wars, unconstitutionally spy on our own citizens and fund the corrupt political structure that created the recession/depression?
  • Reply 64 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    andysol wrote: »
    I have that too in Texas.  But I have to look at myself in the mirror, and I have to teach my kids that stealing is wrong- even if it's from an insitution I think over-taxes me as it is.  But that's the "burden" I bear by living in America.  If you're cool teaching your kids to cheat and steal (yes, even a "little" stealing is still stealing), by all means- do it.  That's on you.  Me?  The $500 a year I save on internet sales taxes isn't worth the damage to my character.

Did you start by telling them that you live on stolen property?
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you start by telling them that you live on stolen property?

Look, I know you’re doing this ONLY to get a rise, but saying something THIS stupid, even as a joke, makes you look as stupid as it says.

• Reply 66 of 81
    Look, I know you’re doing this ONLY to get a rise, but saying something THIS stupid, even as a joke, makes you look as stupid as it says.

So I guess it was American settlers that named towns, El Paso, San Antonio, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc, etc, etc.... Did the Mexicans, and the Spanish agree to those borders or were they told where the border was? Go on believing your good ol' American revisionist history. I like to believe the truth.
  • Reply 67 of 81

So I guess it was American settlers…

You’re carrying the joke a little too far. Paying for something is not theft.

• Reply 68 of 81
    You’re carrying the joke a little too far. Paying for something is not theft.

Just because you buy something doesn't mean that the seller had the right to sell it, and last I checked California wasn't part of the Louisiana Purchase.
  • Reply 69 of 81

Just because you buy something doesn't mean that the seller had the right to sell it, and last I checked California wasn't part of the Louisiana Purchase.

Last I checked, America paid for the Mexican Cession (and every single one of its territorial gains). In fact, they paid for less than Congress authorized and less than for which Trist was explicitly sent to take.

• Reply 70 of 81
    Last I checked, America paid for the Mexican Cession (and every single one of its territorial gains). In fact, they paid for less than Congress authorized and less than for which Trist was explicitly sent to take.

Killing hordes of people is very effective in getting someone to sell something that they didn’t want to sell in the first place. What purchase or treaty was gained without the shed of blood?

Btw buying from a thief makes you a thief as well.
  • Reply 71 of 81

Killing hordes of people is very effective in getting someone to sell something that they didn’t want to sell in the first place. What purchase or treaty was gained without the shed of blood?

Btw buying from a thief makes you a thief as well.

Ah, so Mexico stole their land–won through revolution–from Spain, did they? Who stole their land from Maya/Oaxaca–won through war–did they? Who stole the land from the mammoths when they crossed the Bering, did they?

I imagine you’d prefer all of humanity return to afroeurasia, then. Never should’ve left the Fertile Crescent.

This is utter nonsense and your belief therein explains a lot about the other things you think.

• Reply 72 of 81

Ah, so Mexico stole their land–won through revolution–from Spain, did they? Who stole their land from Maya/Oaxaca–won through war–did they? Who stole the land from the mammoths when they crossed the Bering, did they?

I imagine you’d prefer all of humanity return to afroeurasia, then. Never should’ve left the Fertile Crescent.

This is utter nonsense and your belief therein explains a lot about the other things you think.

Spain isn't innocent either, they were way worse. I guess in your book it's ok to conquer people and take their homelands because they look different and believe in different things? So if you don't like your country means you can go to another and eradicate the people already there because it's your Manifest Destiny to do so?
  • Reply 73 of 81

lol, strawmen.

• Reply 74 of 81
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What do you think of "taxation without representation" and what are your thoughts on your tax money being used to wage senseless wars, unconstitutionally spy on our own citizens and fund the corrupt political structure that created the recession/depression?

What you're discussing is a different argument. The topic is why one would ridicule a person who remits taxes even though he might be able to get away with not paying what's owed. You're arguing that taxes are unjust and/or misused. If that's a reason to mock @TeaEarleGreyHot, it means that ANYONE who pays ANY taxes is a fool.

Even if we accept the premise that it's foolish not to seize easy opportunities to cheat, the original question remains: How do the actions of this individual affect anyone else? Why would anyone else care whether he pays or evades? How is following an ethical compass grounds for insult? THAT'S what I don't get, and what I addressed.

One's views about taxes don't change the fact that it's anti-social and unjust to deride someone else for doing what we have collective defined as "right" just because one doesn't like the rules.

• Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Spain isn't innocent either, they were way worse. I guess in your book it's ok to conquer people and take their homelands because they look different and believe in different things? So if you don't like your country means you can go to another and eradicate the people already there because it's your Manifest Destiny to do so?

Oh come on. We have a hang-up today about race and belief, as though they are so important. People used to conquer each other because they wanted to. It was a way of life, a test of strength, a way of sorting things out. These days, it is more surreptitious, but still common. It's just become mostly non-violent (see Google/Samsung).

• Reply 76 of 81
    Oh come on. We have a hang-up today about race and belief, as though they are so important. People used to conquer each other because they wanted to. It was a way of life, a test of strength, a way of sorting things out. These days, it is more surreptitious, but still common. It's just become mostly non-violent (see Google/Samsung).

Do you not watch the news? There's still plenty of violence.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Do you not watch the news? There's still plenty of violence.

Hence the 'mostly.'
  • Reply 78 of 81
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

There is violence all over the world unfortunately.

• Reply 79 of 81

This belongs in the politics section not here!

• Reply 80 of 81

DON'T YOU EVER RESPOND BACK??