Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

    When the average consumer sees a Galaxy ad claiming twice the megapixels, that could really make Apple look behind in their eyes.

     

    Then they’ll buy a terrible phone, have a terrible camera, and learn a $200 lesson. Apple absolutely should not increase the megapixelage for any reason other than the right one.

  • Reply 42 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,331member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Then they’ll buy a terrible phone, have a terrible camera, and learn a $200 lesson. Apple absolutely should not increase the megapixelage for any reason other than the right one.


     

    Can you explain your signature?

  • Reply 43 of 65
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member

    They are.

  • Reply 44 of 65
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

     

    Can you explain your signature?


    It's #1 on his wish list. :D

  • Reply 45 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

    Can you explain your signature?


     

    A new AI user asked some questions and mentioned offhand that he was banned from MacRumors for saying that. Asked for a screenshot and boom.

     

    I found that exceptionally funny, as they tend to allow more pro-Android talk than anywhere that calls itself an Apple website, and particularly because the very mention of a competitor shouldn’t be enough to warrant a ban.

  • Reply 46 of 65
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,334member
    I'd understand if the 4.7 would be the new flagship model. But to make the 5.5 camera better doesn't make sense. Plus, a smaller phone is in greater need for stabilisation due to low weight, small size. A bigger unit is easier to keep stable.
    I might be crazy, but the "iWatch" might be the thing that would differentiate the 5.5 from the 4.7. It'd make sense to develop an iWatch so that you can leave the bigger unit(s) in the bag when taking a call, reading a tweet etc. I don't really think it'll come bundled, but it'd certainly make people queue up for the 5.5.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 379member
    ljm8283 wrote: »
    Is the 4.7 gonna the new 5c and the 5.5 gonna be the new 5s? I think there is gonna be some people disappointed that the 4.7 ip6 is not gonna have the same features as the bigger phone. As I said before I wish they would make these phones with the same software, just the screen sizes are the only difference between them, for people who like the smaller or bigger phones. Hoping that this article is just a rumor because why would you market something if you don't have enough for both phones. Which hence brings me back to my orignal question at the beginning of my thread.
    I agree with you. Except for paying more for a bigger screen why the heck should the 4.7" be spec' down. Not everyone wants a damn 5.5" phone. Both should have the same specs except for screen size.
  • Reply 48 of 65

    I am pissed off. How the f* am I going to justify buying 2 phones? I'm still having sleepless nights about not having bought the 5c yet.

  • Reply 49 of 65
    foljsfoljs Posts: 383member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post



    Why did I get a notification about this story? This does not seem like that big of a story to warrant a notification to let me know that it's breaking news.

     

    Because

     

    a) the world doesnt revolve around you,

    b) AI can't read your thought.

     

    So if you have subscribed to receive notifications about Appleinsider stories, you'll also get stories that might just interest other subscribers. I, for one am excited to learn about changes in the cameras in upcoming models, because photography is a large part of my iPhone use.

  • Reply 50 of 65
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    gilly33 wrote: »
    I agree with you. Except for paying more for a bigger screen why the heck should the 4.7" be spec' down. Not everyone wants a damn 5.5" phone. Both should have the same specs except for screen size.

    Again- it's just a rumor. No need to be upset. Like I said earlier- if the iPad mini or ipad are an indicator, there won't be a spec difference. I mean, apple just got away from that.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    foljs wrote: »
    Because

    a) the world doesnt revolve around you,
    b) AI can't read your thought.

    So if you have subscribed to receive notifications about Appleinsider stories, you'll also get stories that might just interest other subscribers. I, for one am excited to learn about changes in the cameras in upcoming models, because photography is a large part of my iPhone use.

    Unnecessary comment. I don't think the world revolves around me.

    This article is not breaking news. It's not even that large a rumor. Notifications for the announcement of Swift and Healthkit and Homekit makes sense. Notifications for a small rumor does not. I don't care that you find it interesting. The question wasn't about you.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    foljsfoljs Posts: 383member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post





    Unnecessary comment. I don't think the world revolves around me.



    This article is not breaking news. It's not even that large a rumor. Notifications for the announcement of Swift and Healthkit and Homekit makes sense. Notifications for a small rumor does not.

     

    And yet you still comment as the world revolves around your interests.

     

    It's a large rumor for SOME of us. You might not care about it, but I don't care about HealthKit, and you don't see me complaining.

     

    Quote:


     I don't care that you find it interesting. The question wasn't about you.


     

    Oh, the irony!

     

    You commented only to inform AI and its readers that YOU don't find it interesting, and how dare AI send you a notification for this.

     

    The fact that OTHERS might find it interesting enough to deserve to be in a notification, never seem to have crossed your mind.

     

    You still try to impose your own hierarchy on Apple news ("Camera updates? Not interesting. HealthKit and Homekit? Interesting"), as it's the only valid one, and as if those things that don't interest YOU personally are objectively not worthy of a notification.

  • Reply 53 of 65
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    It really bothers me that you make the title of the article seem like fact. I'm fine with rumors and I like to hear opinions but you should state this as a "Rumor:" before your sensationalist headline.

    I'm stepping off my stump now.
    Why did I get a notification about this story? This does not seem like that big of a story to warrant a notification to let me know that it's breaking news.

    I'm not normally one to complain about the writing style (if you don't like it don't read it), but I completely agree with the above comments. The poor headline combined with the push notification makes this very misleading on first glance. Is it really so hard to put "allegedly" in the title?
    foljs wrote: »
    Because

    a) the world doesnt revolve around you,
    b) AI can't read your thought.

    So if you have subscribed to receive notifications about Appleinsider stories, you'll also get stories that might just interest other subscribers. I, for one am excited to learn about changes in the cameras in upcoming models, because photography is a large part of my iPhone use.

    Nonsense. If you're the kind of person that has the AI app installed on your phone and receive push notifications, you're also the kind of person who checks the site on your own fairly often. There is nothing time sensitive or groundbreaking about this story that will cause anyone, regardless of interest, to drop what they are doing to read this story. Push notifications should be reserved for things that can't wait.

    We see three new analyst opinions every day, and they are universally wrong. What makes this one worthy of push notifications and the others not?
  • Reply 54 of 65
    iaeen wrote: »

    I'm not normally one to complain about the writing style (if you don't like it don't read it), but I completely agree with the above comments. The poor headline combined with the push notification makes this very misleading on first glance. Is it really so hard to put "allegedly" in the title?
    Nonsense. If you're the kind of person that has the AI app installed on your phone and receive push notifications, you're also the kind of person who checks the site on your own fairly often. There is nothing time sensitive or groundbreaking about this story that will cause anyone, regardless of interest, to drop what they are doing to read this story. Push notifications should be reserved for things that can't wait.

    We see three new analyst opinions every day, and they are universally wrong. What makes this one worthy of push notifications and the others not?
    You summed it up really well. I'm surprised AI hasn't edited the title with all the backlash on here. At least on of their new articles today that states it's a rumor. Maybe they are listening but don't want to admit fault and that their journalistic integrity is compromised for the sake of sensationalism and page clicks. I'll actually accept that if things change here.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Iphone 3gs View Post



    That's retarted I hate large phone and the camera really the camera they can't add that 1 thing !! Apple was better with Steve

    Whut?

  • Reply 56 of 65
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,603member

    Better focus is one thing, but I would contend that OIS is not necessary at all in either phone.   The iPhone and devices like it are so light and easy to hold that OIS is unnecessary.    And I say that as a photographer who normally shoots with a DSLR and physically large lenses where I really do need some sort of image stabilization.    

     

    If you get movement in an iPhone photo, it's because of a long exposure time, not because of phone movement.    OIS only works on phone movement.   

     

    I always smile a bit when I shoot video on the iPhone, because it's so easy to keep it steady and have smooth pans and such.   When I shoot video hand-held on my very heavy DSLR, it's virtually impossible to keep it steady even when I use specially designed straps.   Only a tripod or Steadicam-type devices work well. 

  • Reply 57 of 65
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    Total nonsense.

     

     

    There’s nothing “professional” about a device too large to be used.


     

    And I doubt, after all the talk from Apple about larger phones, that it will make its larger phone (if in fact there is one), better than the current size. I don't think Apple will further fragment the top end. 

  • Reply 58 of 65
    foljs wrote: »
    And yet you still comment as the world revolves around your interests.

    It's a large rumor for SOME of us. You might not care about it, but I don't care about HealthKit, and you don't see me complaining.


    Oh, the irony!

    You commented only to inform AI and its readers that YOU don't find it interesting, and how dare AI send you a notification for this.

    The fact that OTHERS might find it interesting enough to deserve to be in a notification, never seem to have crossed your mind.

    You still try to impose your own hierarchy on Apple news ("Camera updates? Not interesting. HealthKit and Homekit? Interesting"), as it's the only valid one, and as if those things that don't interest YOU personally are objectively not worthy of a notification.

    You typed all that for no reason. What you're failing to see is that notifications weren't sent for other rumors. The question was why this one? Others in this thread have the same question. The question wasn't about you or me. I'm not sure at all why you tried to make this personal. The question is why did AI mislead readers with the title (as others have mentioned) and why did they feel this rumor was so important? They highlight and notify on breaking news items and new releases not so much on rumors.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Iphone 3gs View Post



    There still keeping it at 8 megapixels ... The 4S has that and that's will be 4 iphone models ago when the 6 comes out

     

    The iPhone 5s captures beautiful images at 8 megapixels. What makes them beautiful is a redesigned camera sensor that allows for bigger pixels. Bigger pixels equal better photos. And better photos are precisely what inspired the advancements that Apple made with the new iSight camera on iPhone 5s.

     

    https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/camera/

  • Reply 60 of 65
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,603member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

     

     

    The iPhone 5s captures beautiful images at 8 megapixels. What makes them beautiful is a redesigned camera sensor that allows for bigger pixels. Bigger pixels equal better photos. And better photos are precisely what inspired the advancements that Apple made with the new iSight camera on iPhone 5s.

     

    https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/camera/


    Bigger pixels do not equal better photos.   But too many pixels in a small space create heat and heat results in noise at high ISOs.   So all things being equal, while higher pixel counts increase resolution, the high pixel density can result in inferior photos, especially in low-light situations, due to the noise, although newer sensors are getting better and better at this.

Sign In or Register to comment.