Google to once again challenge Apple TV with Android-based set-top streamer, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50

If you really want clicks, how about change your headline to: "Will Google's Set-top streamer be an AppleTV Killer?"

It's original, catchy and provocative. And just think, you'd be the first to ever use the term "killer" when referring to an Apple competitior...I think. Well, maybe not...I may have seen it in a few other headlines referring to the iPod, iPhone, and iPad....okay, maybe a few hundred thousand headlines.

You gotta give the NSA credit for trying again...whooops, I meant to say Google.

• Reply 42 of 50
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Not really sure what the point in malware on a TV would be.  What would they steal, your recording schedule?

Doesn't have to be about stealing, just disruption of service, nuisance, whatever!

• Reply 43 of 50
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Google can't make successful gizmos.

• Reply 44 of 50

Ah, google.  Throw spaghetti at walls much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by noivad View Post

Ah I see. Comments made on the article page with UTF-8 characters are garbled.: while those made within the forum are decoded correctly. testing%u2026 testing%u2026

%u201C%u201D%u2018%u2019%u2013%u2014 \"; Drop Tables;

Well at least that doesn’t get by

Sorry - I couldn't help but remember this classic:

• Reply 45 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Consumers aren't developers. They don't get excited by an SDK and some "open source" to go and hack their refrigerator.

I can't disagree that there are many devices out there that have potential. Lotta things to choose from, but other than the "gee that might be cool" factor, very little of it appears to me. I like my AppleTV, and it has features I use. But...my life doesn't revolve around a TV. I know there are people with lives like that, and maybe they are interested. Great, enjoy.

The thing *someone* has to do is get content available for reasonable costs. This is not a Amazon v. Google v. Apple v. Roku v. etc war... The enemy is the cable TV companies. The set top box hardware stuff is over and done.

And Aereo died this morning. RIP.

• Reply 46 of 50
    If you really want clicks, how about change your headline to: "Will Google's Set-top streamer be an AppleTV Killer?"

You have to use passive verb, move the predicate to the front and omit the subject, like this:

"Google expected to dominate set top box..."

Who expects Google to...? Don't want to draw attention to the subject; it might just be some dude paid to have an opinion.
    Then join it with a boilerplate comparison to Apple, like:

"...as Apple TV sales decline."

:lol:
  • Reply 47 of 50
    eightzero wrote: »
    I can't disagree that there are many devices out there that have potential. Lotta things to choose from, but other than the "gee that might be cool" factor, very little of it appears to me. I like my AppleTV, and it has features I use. But...my life doesn't revolve around a TV. I know there are people with lives like that, and maybe they are interested. Great, enjoy.

AppleTV replaced my need to buy and rent Blu-Ray discs for HD content. With fast enough broadband, I can start watching movies in the cloud. And the iTunes content I've purchased doesn't require physical media and shelf space. It exists in the cloud, so I don't need to manage hundreds of gigabytes of HD video files on my Mac.

Everyone thinks the next logical step are "apps" or games on TV. Yes, let's put apps on everything, because we're all fresh out of ideas. And because OUYA has done so well (sarcasm). The fact that tinkerers and geeks love a cheap, open Android set top game gadget does not mean the general consumer cares about "open" or "hackable."

What's laughable is that people with absolutely no idea how to design a useful, purposeful device wants to turn put an app store behind everything with a screen. Watch? Add apps. Car stereo? Add apps. TV? Add apps. Eyeglasses with a micro screen? Add apps. How about refrigerators with screens? Sure: why not add apps. I'm serious: why not? That's the future, man! SDKs for toasters! Apple's falling behind!
  • Reply 48 of 50
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    gregquinn wrote: »
    I can't believe all the knee- jerk fanboy bashing of google here. With a low price point, an android tv stb has the potential to fracture apple's ecosystem because folks will be buying games and other apps for it. I'm an iOS developer but I've played around with android tv sticks for the past few years and there's huge potential. Apple have procrastinated opening up appletv to the point of being reckless - Apple TV should have had access to the App Store years ago, and there could have been a huge bigger user base now. Instead of bashing google, suggest bashing apple for being too slow taking appletv forward.
    Are you smoking something? There is no potential there... There's only potential for crashing, malware, stutter, and frustrated users.

Get a life, as there's none in this product, and Android is close to running on life support with the amounts of BS supporting it as a foundation.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    clemynx wrote: »
    lol

What's most incredible is how excited MS fanboys were, for example on The Verge, when this is just another Surface.
    As if the concept was totally different. It just has a bigger screen, that's all.
    Did you honestly expect anything less from the Redmond nerd club? 8-)
  • Reply 50 of 50

And don't forget Google's featureless Fiber TV. They claimed they had all the best features from Time Warner, DirecTV, Comcast and others but actually they had none. Its taken over a year to get what they considered to be close to their competitors but are still miles behind. And this all from a company with as much money as they have - inability to get the thing working right before releasing it.