Google to once again challenge Apple TV with Android-based set-top streamer, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    undefined
  • Reply 22 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    gregquinn wrote: »
    I can't believe all the knee- jerk fanboy bashing of google here. With a low price point, an android tv stb has the potential to fracture apple's ecosystem because folks will be buying games and other apps for it. I'm an iOS developer but I've played around with android tv sticks for the past few years and there's huge potential. Apple have procrastinated opening up appletv to the point of being reckless - Apple TV should have had access to the App Store years ago, and there could have been a huge bigger user base now. Instead of bashing google, suggest bashing apple for being too slow taking appletv forward.
    Really? Which android tv "stick"? There been so many. Could you imagine developing for them only to have them pull the plug a year later? Pathetic. Knee jerk would have been on the first, maybe 2nd iteration. This is the fourth in four years!

And my criticism isn't unique to google. Go to the most recent Apple TV thread and you'll see plenty of valid criticisms- mine included. But give me a slow-to update streamer that is consistently supported and updated over a new product every turn of the calendar with no support and complete abandonment. It's a no contest.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Odo - you almost had me there. For a minute, I thought you called it a "steaming box."
  • Reply 24 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Google is really taking to the heart the concept that your have will lots of failures before you have a success.

• Reply 25 of 50
    crowley wrote: »
    Not really sure what the point in malware on a TV would be.  What would they steal, your recording schedule?
    Your Google credentials/login, your account information for pay services or content purchases (including credit card info), the ID's or passwords for any number of websites you might browse on your TV..........
  • Reply 26 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Three words: Ha. Ha. Ha.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Google is really taking to the heart the concept that your have will lots of failures before you have a success.

A thousand monkeys typing random text for an infinite period of time will eventually... teach Google engineers how to produce a streaming media product, in a similar manner.

• Reply 28 of 50
    Give it up, Google. Android is garbage and you know it.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This is the version that will destroy Apple TV !

one year later...

Now, THIS, is the version that will annihilate Apple TV !

one year later...

Ok, ok... THIS, seriously, is the version that will shame Apple TV !

one year later ...

• Reply 30 of 50
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Schmidt:

By the summer of 2012, the majority of the televisions you see in stores will have Google TV embedded.

http://www.businessinsider.com/eric-schmidt-thinks-most-tvs-will-have-google-tv-in-six-months-is-he-nuts-2011-12

• Reply 31 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    andysol wrote: »
    At least they keep the same name. Google is even sadder

I am not sure if a new name isn't a better idea ... morons tend to have short term memories ... a Zune 2 would have been a bad idea after all ... :D
  • Reply 32 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    andysol wrote: »
    Really? Which android tv "stick"? There been so many. Could you imagine developing for them only to have them pull the plug a year later? Pathetic. Knee jerk would have been on the first, maybe 2nd iteration. This is the fourth in four years!

And my criticism isn't unique to google. Go to the most recent Apple TV thread and you'll see plenty of valid criticisms- mine included. But give me a slow-to update streamer that is consistently supported and updated over a new product every turn of the calendar with no support and complete abandonment. It's a no contest.

Agreed. Everything Google does except maps, youtube and search is a string of beta products that as soon as you use seriously gets dropped or changed beyond recognition.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noivad View Post

Ah I see. Comments made on the article page with UTF-8 characters are garbled.: while those made within the forum are decoded correctly. testing%u2026 testing%u2026

%u201C%u201D%u2018%u2019%u2013%u2014 \"; Drop Tables;

Well at least that doesn’t get by

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is a strikingly familiar situation for Microsoft and their pathetic attempts with iPad challenges ...

Drum roll ... "and now ... as you hated the mark 1, mark 2 ... we now proudly present ... yes ... you guessed it .. the Surface Pro 3 ... even though the first two didn't, this one can!"

What's most incredible is how excited MS fanboys were, for example on The Verge, when this is just another Surface.

As if the concept was totally different. It just has a bigger screen, that's all.

• Reply 34 of 50

Great link.

But I don't get you signature. Google didn't copy java, they just used it like Apple used Objective-C.

• Reply 35 of 50
    To date, only

???
  • Reply 36 of 50
    noivad wrote: »
    Hey look, Apple Insider’s text parse can’t handle actual apostrophes and quote marks — Um, UTF-8 anyone? (Did that em-dash even work?)

No. Because its not compatible with their Lifestyle.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    crowley wrote: »
    Not really sure what the point in malware on a TV would be.  What would they steal, your recording schedule?

Botnet
  • Reply 38 of 50
    gregquinn wrote: »
    I can't believe all the knee- jerk fanboy bashing of google here. With a low price point, an android tv stb has the potential to fracture apple's ecosystem because folks will be buying games and other apps for it. I'm an iOS developer but I've played around with android tv sticks for the past few years and there's huge potential. Apple have procrastinated opening up appletv to the point of being reckless - Apple TV should have had access to the App Store years ago, and there could have been a huge bigger user base now. Instead of bashing google, suggest bashing apple for being too slow taking appletv forward.

Consumers aren't developers. They don't get excited by an SDK and some "open source" to go and hack their refrigerator.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Agreed. Everything Google does except maps, youtube and search is a string of beta products that as soon as you use seriously gets dropped or changed beyond recognition.

Good point- YouTube is so little talked as a success vs search and maps- but man, that was a brilliant purchase that a lot of people didn't think was good at the time. There isn't even a competitor.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Apples competitor is Roku, not Google, in this area along with netflix. And never forget that all are up against the numerous suits who run the content providers. That is everybody's problem.