Google unveils Android L with colorful new 'Material Design' UI, creating 'depth' within pixels

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I dunno but if they add an X button to that, they can call it PlayStation. :lol:
    :lol: :D
  • Reply 102 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Someone in the forums said Apple made iOS 7 full of bright screens and colors because Android dare not go there for fear of draining their precious battery life by lighting up all those jumbo sized OLEDs.

Looks like I was wrong! Google fell for it! image

Sooooooo. No one realizes that this ISN'T the OS itself..? It's a website to test drive Polymer. But that's none of my business, though.

• Reply 103 of 110
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Thanks for the screenshot lady. The AI article didn't do a good job of showing what exactly the new UI was like.

This one sums it up nicely.

I don't have an opinion.

That is not Android UI

• Reply 104 of 110
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The reason that it's currently called Android L is because it's still a developer preview. Once L is released, it will get a proper name.

This is a big change. In the past, Google have worked with one manufacturer to create a flagship device for each release. Only once this flagship device was shipped did the other manufacturers get their hands on the new OS version. We've all seen the results - rushed updates and phones dropping off the support list very quickly. Google have now moved to a model closer to Apple's, giving manufacturers and developers time to update their products before the next version of Android is released.

The trouble with updates is at least partly due to the pace of releases. Every OS release involves a certain amount of overhead when you are coordinating with all the manufacturers and carriers. If, like, Apple you do one launch a year, you have more time to make sure all the ducks in a row at launch time than if you were to iterate twice or more per year. Google operates on the philosophy of "release early, release often." The semi-annual release cycle of Android as of 4.0 is actually much more leisurely than what it used to be.

If the update situation improves, it will only be because the release cycle has slowed down now that the OS is relatively mature.

• Reply 105 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    The trouble with updates is at least partly due to the pace of releases. Every OS release involves a certain amount of overhead when you are coordinating with all the manufacturers and carriers. If, like, Apple you do one launch a year, you have more time to make sure all the ducks in a row at launch time than if you were to iterate twice or more per year. Google operates on the philosophy of "release early, release often." The semi-annual release cycle of Android as of 4.0 is actually much more leisurely than what it used to be before the OS had matured.

At the same time the security updates and API additions are coming much faster than they ever have, approximately every 6 weeks. So rather than wait until a completely new OS ships Google is updating their vision of Android several times a year. Somewhat surprisingly that puts 93% of all active Google Android devices on the latest Play Services version and implementing the latest Google enhancements. In addition google has unbundled the major services (and de-coupled the carriers) from Android and moved the update process to Google Play.

I don't consider Forbes as making an Apples to Apples ;) comparison but otherwise they offer a good explanation of why OS versions don't matter nearly as much
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/06/25/google-has-93-of-android-users-on-the-latest-google-play-service-outperforming-apples-ios7-adoption-rate/
  • Reply 106 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

At the same time the security updates and API additions are coming much faster than they ever have, approximately every 6 weeks. So rather than wait until a completely new OS ships Google is updating their vision of Android several times a year. Somewhat surprisingly that puts 93% of all active Google Android devices on the latest Play Services version and implementing the latest Google enhancements. In addition google has unbundled the major services (and de-coupled the carriers) from Android and moved the update process to Google Play.

This statement makes you a liar.

You have posted several times in the past that Google Play Services updates Android where I stated that it did not as it could only update items within Apps themselves. Now Google has expanded Google Play Services to make it possible to make security updates as well. Basically, my prior statements regarding Google Play Services were correct and your were not.

So, were you lying when you made those statements in the past? Or just ignorant? I'm going to have to say the former.

• Reply 107 of 110

You have posted several times in the past that Google Play Services updates Android where I stated that it did not as it could only update items within Apps themselves. Now Google has expanded Google Play Services to make it possible to make security updates as well. Basically, my prior statements regarding Google Play Services were correct and your were not.

So, were you lying when you made those statements in the past? Or just ignorant? I'm going to have to say the former.

Ah, the "lie" word again. How many times have you dragged it out today yet never details when you're put on the spot? Give me an example post where I stated Google updates the Android version via Play Services. According to you there's several to choose from. Let's see who tells the truth. :\

As far as security enhancements delivered via Google Play Services I can think of three right off tho there may be more. First remote wipe, delivered via Play Services several months ago. If your Android device is stolen users of Android 2.3 and up now had a way to wipe data from that phone to help secure their personal information. No need to wait on a new OS version to get it.

There's Verify Apps, which checks for malware during app installs, even from third party stores. Questionable new apps would prompt a security warning that it wasn't safe to continue with the install. Proceed at the users risk. Also done via Google Play Services for virtually every Android user without the need to wait on an OS version update that the manufacturer might never offer.

Then more recently an enhancement for Verify apps updating it's security features to constantly scan already installed applications in the background for malicious app activity. That 's meant as a new security feature covering those apps that morph after install. Again via Play Services, no OS version update required. You sir are assuming that because the most recent Play Services 5.0 extends the types of updates that enhance user security even more that no security improvements were delivered via Play Services prior to this. That would be incorrect.

Your frequent egregious trolling doesn't do the forums any favor. If you want to have a discussion I'm all for it. If you only have insults and ad hominems left why do you bother? Find a topic where you can be helpful instead.
  • Reply 108 of 110
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »

I don't consider Forbes as making an Apples to Apples ;) comparison but otherwise they offer a good explanation of why OS versions don't matter nearly as much
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/06/25/google-has-93-of-android-users-on-the-latest-google-play-service-outperforming-apples-ios7-adoption-rate/

I don't believe a word coming out of Google's mouth.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    jungmark wrote: »
    I don't believe a word coming out of Google's mouth.

Certainly fair enough. You're not alone in your sentiments.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Ah, the "lie" word again. How many times have you dragged it out today yet never details when you're put on the spot? Give me an example post where I stated Google updates the Android version via Play Services. According to you there's several to choose from. Let's see who tells the truth. image

As far as security enhancements delivered via Google Play Services I can think of three right off tho there may be more. First remote wipe, delivered via Play Services several months ago. If your Android device is stolen users of Android 2.3 and up now had a way to wipe data from that phone to help secure their personal information. No need to wait on a new OS version to get it.

There's Verify Apps, which checks for malware during app installs, even from third party stores. Questionable new apps would prompt a security warning that it wasn't safe to continue with the install. Proceed at the users risk. Also done via Google Play Services for virtually every Android user without the need to wait on an OS version update that the manufacturer might never offer.

Then more recently an enhancement for Verify apps updating it's security features to constantly scan already installed applications in the background for malicious app activity. That 's meant as a new security feature covering those apps that morph after install. Again via Play Services, no OS version update required. You sir are assuming that because the most recent Play Services 5.0 extends the types of updates that enhance user security even more that no security improvements were delivered via Play Services prior to this. That would be incorrect.

I don't think Google Play Services could update libraries hard-coded in the system. On the other hand, the system does provide a broad set of low level APIs in the first place, which makes it possible to deliver some security features via apps. For example, there is a "PackageManager" class that the Google Play Services app presumably uses to inspect installed apps (http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/PackageManager.html).