Rumor: Apple to limit 128GB 'iPhone 6' option to 5.5-inch model

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57

I think the major downside to a bigger size, is more people would want to try it out first, see how it feels in there hand before purchasing. A lot of people I know still want it to fit in their pocket. It will be interesting to see what comes out, but I might have to hold it in my hand first before I purchase a larger iphone.

• Reply 42 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

You are confusing yourself.  ... many people do not want a ridiculously large screened smartphone, but still have the need for alot of storage.

I have been testing various screen sizes to get the feel of bigger screen and I dont find the bigger screens to be "ridiculously large" at all. I had the galaxy S3 last week and now I have a Galaxy Note 2. I have no problem fitting those phones in my pockets or dialing with one hand using my thumb. When I dial with one hand the phone needs to be flat because its sits on my hand, I dont have a grip on it, but it still works perfectly.

On the plus side the bigger screen allows for a bigger keyboard for texting and is much better for video/games/web browsing. Since I have no problem with the Note 2 I will go for the biggest iphone 6. My current 4s now looks like a gimp phone after using a bigger phone for 2 weeks. I will never be able to return to anything smaller than the 4.7".

I predict Apple new bigger screen phones will sell like crazy. After talking with various people here that own 5"+ phones, some told me they would have gone with Apple if the would have offer bigger screens. Some will consider Apple again once the iphone 6 launches.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    h2p wrote: »
    And the image has "Android ice cream" in the background, etc... Really? Dicey image I think.

You can file a complaint with AppleInsider's photography and art department. Oh wait, they get their news and photos from other sites. :lol:
  • Reply 44 of 57
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

My current 4s now looks like a gimp phone after using a bigger phone for 2 weeks. I will never be able to return to anything smaller than the 4.7".

I find it humorous that screen size was never problem until after Android OEMs started pushing larger sizes because of the need to differentiate themselves from the iPhone. Now all of a sudden, a phone with a 4" screen is considered to be "gimped". Freaken ridiculous - talk about drinking the kool-aid and being brainwashed by marketing.

There's nothing a 5.5" iPhone will be able to do that a 4" iPhone can't do - unless you have vision problems and even that's a somewhat dubious claim - a larger screen doesn't necessarily mean text will be larger. And chances are, if you can't read small type, you already have a pair of reading glasses. Honestly, how did these people use mobile phones before the iPhone when they all had those tiny screens?

People just want something to bitch about.

• Reply 45 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I find it humorous that screen size was never problem until after Android OEMs started pushing larger sizes because of the need to differentiate themselves from the iPhone. Now all of a sudden, a phone with a 4" screen is considered to be "gimped". Freaken ridiculous - talk about drinking the kool-aid and being brainwashed by marketing.

There's nothing a 5.5" iPhone will be able to do that a 4" iPhone can't do - unless you have vision problems and even that's a somewhat dubious claim - a larger screen doesn't necessarily mean text will be larger. And chances are, if you can't read small type, you already have a pair of reading glasses. Honestly, how did these people use mobile phones before the iPhone when they all had those tiny screens?

People just want something to bitch about.

depends on people. In my case I have always find iphones to be too small, even when I bought my 4s. I have an all Apple house, so I went with the iphone anyway.

I think the people that drink the "coolaid" like you said still thinks the small iphones are perfect.

"There's nothing a 5.5" iPhone will be able to do that a 4" iPhone can't do - unless you have vision problems and even that's a somewhat dubious claim "

that is untrue. The S3 and note 2 do have bigger keyboards which makes it a lot easier (for me at least) to type. The browser show more space on webpages which can make a site usable on a note 2 but unusable on my 4s. Games are better, apps are better. To my its pretty obvious, but then I really tried those phones, I am not talking theoretically here.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

Currently proud owner of an iPhone 5s 64 GB and iPad Air 128 GB ...

Looking forward to iPhone 6 128 GB and iPad Air version 2 (??) 256 GB! :smokey:

• Reply 47 of 57
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

5 cubic centimeters isn’t worth this nonsense.

Nonsense again. You’re increasing power draw by ~40% and gaining absolutely no benefit with battery.

So then people won’t be buying new phones. I guess that’s what Apple wants?

That’s the opposite of why.

Which, again, is why they just won’t be buying new phones.

It makes the opposite of not sense. Because money.

The thinking behind this rumor is justifiable. Simply because APPLE ALREADY DOES THIS ON THEIR COMPUTERS, AND ALWAYS HAS. Thing is, on their computers. Not their iDevices.

No, you don’t. This isn’t what you think. You demand a larger screen, as does literally every single other person on the planet. As big as possible. To hell with usability. You couldn’t care less about this. You just want big.

And yet do they buy LTE iPad Minis?

Because, come on, who talks into their smartphones anymore anyway?

• Reply 48 of 57
    1983 wrote: »
    For 100 Dollars more than the 4.7" version with contract you get a 5.5" FullHD display and double the amount of Flash memory - makes sense and is worth the premium, but depriving the 4.7" version of OIS is not a good idea considering much of the competition has it already or will be getting it soon, with model upgrades...and it is the official flagship.

The upcoming 6.5 inch model will have more Full HDs, three times the gigahertzes, give you a blow job in the parking lot, and make you king of the geeks. It will also have a negative bezel width so the screen is actually wider than the phone.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    There's nothing a 5.5" iPhone will be able to do that a 4" iPhone can't do...

You're forgetting the self-esteem boost for geeks too embarrassed to show their inferior-spec 4.7" iPhone 6 in public. /s
  • Reply 50 of 57
    They should release an 128GB model for the 4.7 inches version too. Times changed. Yeah maybe for a person who use iPhone only for calls and texts even 8GB are enough. Personally i have totally replaced my computer with the iPhone. If you want to store 30 movies, 128GB has meaning !
  • Reply 51 of 57
    fuzzypawsfuzzypaws Posts: 111member

I expect that some of the people I've seen talking are right: Apple will have a 4" and 4.7" model iPhone, with a 5.5" iPod Touch rather than a phone. 128 GB memory parts would likely either be available on all their devices or would be restricted to the iPod and iPad line, instead of making a distinction between the bigger and smaller phone. Hopefully though Apple gets in line with everyone else on memory pricing and only bumps up +$50 at most per memory step, instead of +$100 :p 

• Reply 52 of 57
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I have a 5s 64Gb now and keep approx 5000 photos, 3000 songs and a ridiculous 125-ish apps (many of which I don't use regularly) and still find an adequate 6.5 to 8Gb space to play with (actual empty space).

Note that you're not storing any video. That's the major space hog. Add a few TV shows for watching on the way to work and some home movies and you quickly find yourself having to swap stuff out almost every day.

@Lorin: I did forget to list my video which contains all of last years WWDC videos and about 4 random TV shows. I know that video is a space hog (sounds like a bad B-movie title - LOL). Just forgot to mention it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

[...] I just don't see a need with the iCloud option to push a 128Gb device.

Cloud storage is not yet a ubiquitous solution. In the places I'm likely to be using stored content -- like on the street, on transit, at the park -- there is no WiFi. I can obviously use cellular data, but just two or three hours of YouTube or NetFlix (or iCloud) will chew up my entire data allotment for a month. On the subway there's no signal at all, so if I want to consume media there my only option is local storage.

ICloud is a benefit but not yet a solution. Until/unless wireless data becomes universally available with large, affordable limits, I don't see the need for substantial local storage going away. There's a cost of ownership either way, either up front for more local storage or over time through higher cellular data costs. Since the former is faster and available everywhere, I'd rather go with that.

I agree completely agree about the iCloud not being a ubiquitous solution since when no network is available you are stuck with what you got. I seldom ever plan that far ahead ;-) .

I did say that there were other use cases which would benefit from this but that for me 64GB today is enough.

Cheers

• Reply 53 of 57
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

If they have only 128Gb option available on the BIG6 then it is destined to fail. I would like a 64Gb myself and think that would provide adequate space. The docs will be a bit larger and the BIG6 icons and controls will take more space, but not that much more. I have a 5s 64Gb now and keep approx 5000 photos, 3000 songs and a ridiculous 125-ish apps (many of which I don't use regularly) and still find an adequate 6.5 to 8Gb space to play with (actual empty space). I just don't see a need with the iCloud option to push a 128Gb device. I am sure there are folx with use cases that support that much memory but none that I can think of -- especially at the price they will end up at. I think Apple will have at least a 64Gb and 128Gb.

Give me a rigid case so that the BIG6 screen does not break and then stuff every nook and cranny with battery. You don't need to shave off another 0.5 mm to make it slimmer. I would love to be able to do more stuff on my iPhone that I am pushed to my iPad (or my iMac 27) for because it is just to small. And let me use it with GPS and BT on without watching the battery drain like there is a hole in it. I also assume the new processor will consume a bit more juice and managing the larger screen will as will the OIS since it is mechanical. All this screams 'more battery' to me.

That's what "OPTION" actually means: more than one size of storage.... for the 4.7 64 is enough for me but if the image files are scaled up I'd probably consider a 128 for the larger screen phone, somewhat as I did for my iPad Air where I chose 128 (and currently only have about 25 open).

I full well understand the meaning of option. I used it at the end of my first ¶ "I think Apple will have at least a 64Gb and 128Gb." I stated that because someone actually said that the BIG6 would only ship in 128 Gb version -- something I don't support or believe is true.

The dictionary clarifies the meaning of option (with no specific reference to size of storage required).

option |??p??n|nouna thing that is or may be chosen: choose the cheapest options for supplying energy.• [ in sing. ] the freedom, power, or right to choose something: she was given the optionof resigning or being dismissed | he has no option but to pay up.• a right to buy or sell a particular thing at a specified price within a set time: Columbia Pictures has an option on the script | [ with infinitive ] : an option to buy the land.Football an offensive play in which the ball carrier has the option to run, pass, hand off, or lateral.

I believe def 1. applies to what we are talking about here.

IHTH.   ????
  • Reply 54 of 57
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

After talking with various people here that own 5"+ phones, some told me they would have gone with Apple if the would have offer bigger screens. Some will consider Apple again once the iphone 6 launches.

Some of the rumblings seem to suggest that the 5.5" model, if it actually exists, will cost more than past models. If we assume that's true, will those wafflers still buy an iPhone if a 128GB version costs $1000?

I probably will (I'll hate myself for not refusing to render unto Apple the requisite pound of flesh, but I'll do it). My daughter, on the other hand, will point at me and laugh, then turn her attention back to her Galaxy.

• Reply 55 of 57
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case it was my wife who put the idea in my head, and it was in the context of the 3G so well before anyone was making big-screened phones. She complained about the tiny little keyboard and how much easier it would be to use the excellent features the phone offered if the interface were larger.

The next time I tried navigating a web page on my phone I realized how right she was.

It's not just gullibility. It's personal preference.

• Reply 56 of 57

Apple is just following the industry standard of flagship models are the larger size models and the smaller size models are the economical ones, that have the substandard components of a year or two ago and have much less memory, storage and screen resolution.   Samsung, HTC, LG and Nokia have all gone with this idea.  These economical models use color to draw the buyers in but that is all. 

I think Apple will continue to dumb down the 4" model and will drop the 5S and continue with the 5C model unchanged.  The 5S is much more costly to produce and for a $100 difference; the buyers of the 4" are usually older, less tech savory buyers.

• Reply 57 of 57
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

I think Apple will continue to dumb down the 4" model and will drop the 5S and continue with the 5C model unchanged.  The 5S is much more costly to produce and for a $100 difference; the buyers of the 4" are usually older, less tech savory buyers.

Assuming this whole larger size phone thing is legit, that will be the S series. I think what they will discontinue is the whole game of keeping around former tech like how we can currently get the 4S and the C series will start at 8GB for 'taxes'. And perhaps in a slightly smaller size as well as continuing to be 'unapologetically plastic'