Rear casing for 'iPhone 6' purportedly shown off in new video from Asia

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If this is the design though, I'd like them to get rid of the horizontal bars and move the camera down:

I don't see the need for the horizontal lines. One of the people with the mockups said the lines are actually painted onto the mockups. They look like plastic in the videos but I suppose paint could look like that too.

Those lines are there for the cellular antenna. There's no way around that. The only reason the iPod Touch doesn't have them is because it's not a phone. Compare the backs of wifi and cellular iPads and you'll also see that the latter require a plastic panel for the antenna. Same reason the 5S has those little glass panels and the top and bottom of the back.

Apple doesn't add these ugly little details intentionally for aesthetic value.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

At first I thought the 4.7 was the right size, but if the 5.5 is getting better technology perhaps that is the one I will end up with.

To each his own, but I will never carry around anything like this as my primary mobile device.

• Reply 22 of 30
  • Reply 23 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    freediverx wrote: »
    Those lines are there for the cellular antenna. There's no way around that.

I know they're for the antenna but I don't see why it would have to be made in a loop. There are metal cases for the iPhone that have a flat metal back and they just leave a plastic bit around the rim. Why not just leave the separation around the rim without splitting the back face too? Or they can go the other way with just the horizontal lines but not the ones round the rim.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s blatantly the 4.7”. Look at the scale compared to my incredibly sophisticated mockup. Hand height: 7.75” span: 9.25”. Tried to match the position.

I worked out the math for the proper screen size and shape here, so anyone want to work the math on how big this guy’s hands would have to be for that to be a 5.5”?

Based on the picture, it must be 5.5" with 157mm long. The guy's hand is okay size. I have small hand and it's already around 150mm from bottom of my palm to the top of my thumb.

• Reply 25 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

If they have a bigger one, I don't see why they'd delay it. These are all still mockups though like people made for the iPhone 5:

They are mockups, not made by Apple. If this is the design though, I'd like them to get rid of the horizontal bars and move the camera down:

I don't see the need for the horizontal lines. One of the people with the mockups said the lines are actually painted onto the mockups. They look like plastic in the videos but I suppose paint could look like that too.

Hear that Sir Jony Ive? You must listen to this guy.

• Reply 26 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Based on the picture

We were wrong before; the picture IS of 4.7.” 

• Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

I know they're for the antenna but I don't see why it would have to be made in a loop. There are metal cases for the iPhone that have a flat metal back and they just leave a plastic bit around the rim. Why not just leave the separation around the rim without splitting the back face too? Or they can go the other way with just the horizontal lines but not the ones round the rim.

I have a feeling Apple does a bit more testing for this sort of thing than the maker of a phone case... ;)

• Reply 28 of 30
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

There's no doubt that the 4.7" iPhone is going to sell like crazy.  It'll be interesting so see how the 5.5" iPhablet does.

• Reply 29 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    freediverx wrote: »
    I have a feeling Apple does a bit more testing for this sort of thing than the maker of a phone case... ;)

Sure but the reception was tested on those in the real world with negligible impact. I just don't see how the extra break helps the signal.

I quite liked the design of the HTC One, which has similar splits but they put a plastic band round the rim and the splits are thinner. There's a video comparing the iPhone 6 mockup to the HTC One here:

[VIDEO]

It's clear that the split lines in the mockups are not accurate and I actually think the iPhone 6 mockup looks nicer than those other phones. The shapes and styles used on the other devices look so busy when you see them next to the iPhone.

If Apple tightens the split lines and makes them blend in better with the metal, I don't suppose the loop design would be all that bad. If they make the split material transparent instead of colored, it might blend in better as it will show the metal through it. Perhaps the splits can be made of glass or sapphire.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

If they have a bigger one, I don't see why they'd delay it. These are all still mockups though like people made for the iPhone 5:

They are mockups, not made by Apple. If this is the design though, I'd like them to get rid of the horizontal bars and move the camera down:

Yes! That screenshot looks good - very much more like a real Apple product. I'd love to see something a lot more seamless, as you suggest. The lines on the current mock-ups look pretty awful in my view (I acknowledge though that my opinion might change once I see the final design, as happened with iPhone 5).