Apple will no longer develop Aperture or iPhoto, OS X Yosemite Photos app to serve as replacement

Comments

• Reply 161 of 219
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I really don't like Yosemite's change to it, both because the message is gone and because the design doesn't do much for me.

I've been using this, myself, simply for higher visibility. It's not the best (anyone use anything better?), and you lose the message, but...
    [image]

Actually haven't installed 10.10, yet, but I agree on disliking them dropping the text. Kind of a class one that was. Yours is nice too though, and I really liked many you have created.

I did *coughdownloadedcough* 10.10 but Parallels says it cannot install it on its own; it can only upgrade a 10.9 version. I'll look for a better t. and try again.

Thank you.
  • Reply 162 of 219
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Wow, never knew you could actually read the text on the icon!

• Reply 163 of 219
    razorpit wrote: »
    Wow, never knew you could actually read the text on the icon!

Yup. Mail also has something:

Just like Keynote:

But the best of all must be the icon they use when browsing a PC network. Look that one up and post back after you quit laughing.
  • Reply 164 of 219
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Since icons come in sizes ranging up to 512×512 you can get a lot of detail out of them. For comparison, the original Mac had a 512×342 display.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/45251/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/45252/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 165 of 219
    motoservomotoservo Posts: 19member
    I think Adobe should ditch Lightroom for the Mac not long after. And sock it to Apple the way Apple waylaid Flash.

Then you'd see hordes of pro photographers ditch Apple completely.

I'm a life-long die-hard Mac user but Apple's lack of concern for professionals since the iRevolution is disconcerting.
  • Reply 166 of 219
    motoservo wrote: »
    I think Adobe should ditch Lightroom for the Mac not long after. And sock it to Apple the way Apple waylaid Flash.

I'm a life-long die-hard Mac user but Apple's lack of concern for professionals since the iRevolution is disconcerting.

1) And how do you think that would affect Adobe sales of Lightroom? How do you think that would affect Apple's sales of Macs? I'll spell it out: If they Adobe doesn't make Lightroom for Mac Adobe loses 100% of Lightroom for Mac sales. But If Adobe doesn't make Lightroom for Mac Apple may lose only a very small portion of their Mac sales. How is that good for Adobe?

2) Apple didn't stop Flash on the Mac and all the fault for Flash not being on mobile devices today rests on Adobe's shoulders.
  • Reply 167 of 219
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by motoservo View Post

Well, you don’t get it at all.

• Reply 168 of 219
    undefined
  • Reply 169 of 219
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    solipsismx wrote: »

2) Apple didn't stop Flash on the Mac and all the fault for Flash not being on mobile devices today rests on Adobe's shoulders.

I still use flash, not by choice mind you there are just so many sites that still utilize it. One of favourite Web apps audiotool.com/app has promised that they will be going html5 for about two years now, which is unfortunate as I want nothing but to be able to run it on my iPad. Though Apple will probably have to increase the memory to at least 2Gb before I can use it properly as it's a bit of a memory hog.
  • Reply 170 of 219
    ... Flash on the Mac...

Funny thing is that since I don't have Flash installed, whenever I come across a site that has something in Flash which I want to see I simply grab my 1st gen iPad. Works for most videos, works for Google Street View, for the occasional moment I use that.

The upside of not having Flash on my Mac is probably way bigger for me. I don't like moving things on a website, I don't like text flashing by et cetera.
  • Reply 171 of 219
    relic wrote: »
    I still use flash, not by choice mind you there are just so many sites that still utilize it. One of favourite Web apps audiotool.com/app has promised that they will be going html5 for about two years now, which is unfortunate as I want nothing but to be able to run it on my iPad. Though Apple will probably have to increase the memory to at least 2Gb before I can use it properly as it's a bit of a memory hog.

Even Apple used a little Flash for MobileMe, which lasted until late 2011. It was limited to uploading files via the browser but it was still a use of Flash. That site being all Flash is just awful. No wonder they need until 2016.
  • Reply 172 of 219
    philboogie wrote: »
    Funny thing is that since I don't have Flash installed, whenever I come across a site that has something in Flash which I want to see I simply grab my 1st gen iPad. Works for most videos, works for Google Street View, for the occasional moment I use that.

The upside of not having Flash on my Mac is probably way bigger for me. I don't like moving things on a website, I don't like text flashing by et cetera.

I do have Flash installed but I also have the ClickToFlash extension installed (as well as AdBlock and Ghostery) which helps reduce animations and battery drain considerably. I also have Chrome installed for those odd cases where the site doesn't work with all that enabled and it's not something I'll be going to often.
  • Reply 173 of 219

Apple makes most of their money from the iConsumer crowd, that being said though Apple still caters to the professional or did you miss the release of one one of the most powerful workstations available. Yes Apple has been dropping their professional apps one by one but that doesn't mean there aren't hundreds of other third party apps to take their place. Suggesting that Adobe drop support for a company that is basically their bread and butter for the sole reason of revenge is an absurd suggestion. You can't expect Apple to cater to your every need, get over it and move on, Lightroom is a better program anyway. As far as Flash is concerned just buy a Surface PRO, the new one is an absolute gem.
  • Reply 174 of 219
    I do have Flash installed but I also have the ClickToFlash extension installed (as well as AdBlock and Ghostery) which helps reduce animations and battery drain considerably. I also have Chrome installed for those odd cases where the site doesn't work with all that enabled and it's not something I'll be going to often.

How good is ClickToFlash, is it worth the purchase?
  • Reply 175 of 219
    How good is ClickToFlash, is it worth the purchase?

It's free. All it does it prevent Flash from being loaded in the browser until you click the area where Flash would be or choose to whitelist the page/site.
  • Reply 176 of 219
    philboogie wrote: »

Flash isn't just for pretty moving sites, there are some pretty incredible and useful Web apps that use Flash. Check out audiotool.com/app it's a really good example of what can be accomplish with good Flash programming. I use it to create ambient sounds and beats for background filler.
  • Reply 177 of 219

I used to have the same config, but when Apple releases a new version of OSX (not a point release) I format my SSD and do a clean install. Last time I didn't install Flash plus Click2Flash as I wanted to see if I could do without it. Apparently this works ok for me.

About Chrome, is installing it 'dangerous'? I remember the outcry from people who discovered Goolge was sending home quite some data after inserts installed Google Earth. I wonder if the same applies to Chrome, though I haven't looked it up.
  • Reply 178 of 219

Flash isn't just for pretty moving sites, there are some pretty incredible and useful Web apps that use Flash. Check out audiotool.com/app it's a really good example of what can be accomplish with good Flash programming. I use it to create ambient sounds and beats for background filler.

Good point. Indeed, Flash isn't limited to playing videos. I believe [@]mstone[/@] usually points people out on its usefulness.

I'll try your link next time I'm behind a PC with Flash installed, as I can't see it on my iPad now.
  • Reply 179 of 219
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the majority of Adobe.tv, all training and demo materials, plus a large majority of Adobe's employees and users are on Macs and have been for many years. There was a slight defection in the early years of the new millenium and the development of OSX and the Carbon vs. Cocoa Wars.

As for Flash: you do know that Apple leading the way to kill that never ending security leak and battery draining software has most benefitted Microsoft and Android users, don't you?

You should learn to think before you post such nonsense next time.
  • Reply 180 of 219
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If you want to play Flash videos on your Mac without installing Flash player and without installing Click To Flash, just go in to Safari Preferences, Advanced Tab, and select "Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar". Then, when a site says "Sorry, Flash is Required to Play This Video" select Develop menu->User Agent->Safari iOS 7 iPad. Your Mac will reload the page pretending it's an iPad. 9 times out of 10 the site will be fooled and will send you an HTML5/H.264 video.