Apple, Inc. employees pass out free iTunes song cards at San Francisco LGBT Pride Parade

Comments

• Reply 101 of 197
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Best comment in this thread. :smokey:

You voted too soon, [@]Relic[/@] gets my vote.
  • Reply 102 of 197
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    richl wrote: »
    I went to Pride in London. No-one asked to see my gay card before handing me free stuff.

No-one forced you to buy shares in Apple. You can sell them at any time at a fair market price.

Commerce doesn't exist in a vacuum. Political and social causes are important to the survival of businesses as well as individuals.

No one asked me to buy shares in apple? You miss the point of a publically traded company in your blind support of LGBT or whatever. I own apple just as surely as tim cook owns apple (in the form of stock). Would you have me sell my house (which I own as well)?

It is the DUTY of a publicly traded company to act in the best interest of customers and SHAREHOLDERS while following all laws and regulations ... not supporting other special interest groups helter skelter.

I bought the company because it makes computers and phones. I even accepted reluctantly the choice of apple to support Project RED even though apple has no support fundraisers for lung cancer, diabetes, septic shock, infectious diarrhea, and any number of other diseases.

Where is the support for Indians being enslaved or indentured in Dubai? Is this cause coming next? Should I go invest in a company that will solve that problem instead of Apple?

Apple sells phones in the middle east, why aren't they up in arms about the treatment of women there?

Apple is discriminating with MY MONEY against everyone except LGBT when they support this parade.

I have nothing against LGBT, I do have a problem with this selective discrimination against all other human suffering using the brand name that I OWN.

Apple can Buyout MY stock by taking the company private (it is within their right to do this) and then do what you want with the company. Until then, don't lecture me about your social causes.
  • Reply 103 of 197
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    pk0702 wrote: »
    I'm sure the militant homosexual fascists would bash Tim Cook if he didn't show up. Look at what happened to the Mozilla founder for privately disagreeing with the homosexual movement and having the audacity to believe marriage is between a man and woman (what shame he stepped down because a small minority disagreed him).

I wonder what the next American "social injustice" movement will be...?

If by privately you mean on his blog with the Mozilla logo on it, I agree with you. There was nothing private about what he did. He made his statements publicly and as an official representative of the company. If he wanted to be able to say whatever he wanted for the company, he should not have sold a controlling interest in it....
  • Reply 104 of 197
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    blazar wrote: »
    richl wrote: »
    I went to Pride in London. No-one asked to see my gay card before handing me free stuff.

No-one forced you to buy shares in Apple. You can sell them at any time at a fair market price.

Commerce doesn't exist in a vacuum. Political and social causes are important to the survival of businesses as well as individuals.

No one asked me to buy shares in apple? You miss the point of a publically traded company in your blind support of LGBT or whatever. I own apple just as surely as tim cook owns apple (in the form of stock). Would you have me sell my house (which I own as well)?

It is the DUTY of a publicly traded company to act in the best interest of customers and SHAREHOLDERS while following all laws and regulations ... not supporting other special interest groups helter skelter.

I bought the company because it makes computers and phones. I even accepted reluctantly the choice of apple to support Project RED even though apple has no support fundraisers for lung cancer, diabetes, septic shock, infectious diarrhea, and any number of other diseases.

Where is the support for Indians being enslaved or indentured in Dubai? Is this cause coming next? Should I go invest in a company that will solve that problem instead of Apple?

Apple sells phones in the middle east, why aren't they up in arms about the treatment of women there?

Apple is discriminating with MY MONEY against everyone except LGBT when they support this parade.

I have nothing against LGBT, I do have a problem with this selective discrimination against all other human suffering using the brand name that OWN.

Apple can Buyout MY stock by taking the company private (it is within their right to do this) and then do what you want with the company. Until then, don't lecture me about your social causes.

You should get together with other shareholders and vote in a new board that will replace Cook. Good luck.
  • Reply 105 of 197
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Right on. I would suggest Exxon, Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby. Oh, and there's a lovely creationist Noah's Ark amusement park ride looking for attendants, why don't you get a job there blazar. You'll love it.

While I get your sarcasm- I will say that I don't know of a company (particularly in fast food) that does more local food campaigns and charity work than chick-fil-a. And I'm not talking on the national community, I'm talking about the local community and people like you and me- not some giant institution with CEOs.

Additionally, Cathy Truett has done a phenomenal job with his wealth in regards to teaching his family work ethic and responsibility. Im fascinated reading about famous heirs and their children who completely fall into a living hell because of their wealth and lack of work ethic. If anyone has a decent chunk of wealth or is a successful business owner, I'd recommend reading a couple of Truetts books to learn some wisdom in that regard. Simple stuff, but hard to live that way.

There are some incredibly commendable things with that company- whether your a Christian or not.

K- back on topic. :)
  • Reply 106 of 197
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazar View Post

(truncated for brevity)

You missed the point:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26047890/from-apple-virgin-america-corporate-involvement-at-gay

Companies involved in the pride parade are supporting their employees. Many companies give small stipends to employee organizations. At many Silicon Valley companies, the LGBT employee groups are amongst the oldest, largest, and most active internal organizations. It's up to the senior management to decide whether or not to support these employee efforts.

Apple was one of the first companies to recognize domestic partnerships and to offer benefits to LGBT partners. This was way back in the early Nineties, long before any sort of legislation appeared. Clearly, senior management at Apple has an opinion about the matter.

I will point out that no company can support every charity equally. Again, it is the choice of senior management to decide which causes to support. Apple has chosen to be involved in Project (red) but not a score of other worthy causes. No company operates in a vacuum. A large company like Apple cannot ignore the community; the interest in specific social causes requires thoughtful deliberation by the senior staff.

It is worth noting that Apple employees are also shareholders.

Shareholders of any publicly held corporation should realize that the company in question will have some level of participation in its community and charitable causes that reflects the values of the senior management team. Note that any time, without prior notice, the company may change its participation in the community and charitable causes.

If you do not support specific causes, it would behoove you to research the company's activities before you invest, something you failed miserably before your purchase of AAPL shares.

It is your fault that you did not perform ADEQUATE due diligence.

• Reply 107 of 197
    andysol wrote: »
    While I get your sarcasm- I will say that I don't know of a company (particularly in fast food) that does more local food campaigns and charity work than chick-fil-a. And I'm not talking on the national community, I'm talking about the local community and people like you and me- not some giant institution with CEOs.

Additionally, Cathy Truett has done a phenomenal job with his wealth in regards to teaching his family work ethic and responsibility. Im fascinated reading about famous heirs and their children who completely fall into a living hell because of their wealth and lack of work ethic. If anyone has a decent chunk of wealth or is a successful business owner, I'd recommend reading a couple of Truetts books to learn some wisdom in that regard. Simple stuff, but hard to live that way.

There are some incredibly commendable things with that company- whether your a Christian or not.

K- back on topic. :)
    Yes, and I hear Hitler loved children and dogs.

Being hateful towards a specific class is not absolved by being virtuous elsewhere. These are evil bigots who happen to be doing some good charity work. They're still assholes.
  • Reply 108 of 197
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

If the person running your house decides to support LGBT rights then you have the right to sell your house too. By the way, Tim probably owns a lot more APPL stock than you do.

Quote:

It would be impossible for Apple to support every cause equally. Apple already give to a wide range of charities. Pride and RED are just the most visible. Also, when did shareholder become shorthand for sociopathic asshole?

Quote:

Don't like how Apple is run? Either vote against Tim at the next shareholders' meeting or sell your stock. Those are your options with any publicly traded company.

• Reply 109 of 197
    Yes, and I hear Hitler loved children and dogs.

German kids, and German Shepherds. :lol:
  • Reply 110 of 197
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Pisses me off that Apple hijacks a parade and blankets it with Apple branding and the like. This is not about you Apple, although your support is admirable, you could have been low key.
  • Reply 111 of 197
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Pisses me off that Apple hijacks a parade and blankets it with Apple branding and the like. This is not about you Apple, although your support is admirable, you could have been low key.

Wow. A stupider argument than the one that has been going on. Kudos.

• Reply 112 of 197
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Because an Apple-centric site got a couple shots of Apple employees with T-shirts/Banners (as hundreds of other companies did) at a rally of MILLIONS of people, this is defined as Apple "hikacking" the parade. 

I sometimes wonder if an actual sentient human being is behind these types of moronic posts. 

Also, I'm thinking of dropping out of these forums. The ratio of stupidity to rationality has gotten shockingly high. Most threads seem to be composed of nothing but drive-by-trolling, slobbering Apple haters, or people like Apple ][ who jumps at the opportunity to spout his hateful, bigoted agenda (I think he has a daily Muslim-bashing quota to meet) which he attempts to mask at something else. Then there's the random sane comment from regular posters thrown in here and there. 

• Reply 113 of 197
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's unlikely that I would ever find myself at any LGBT parade, and I don't live in San Francisco, but where is my free iTunes card handed out to me for being an awesome heterosexual?:err:

Where's my parade?

According to the article, it's only a pass for one free song, so it's not a big deal, but has Apple ever handed out any free iTunes cards at other types of parades?

i really feel bad for the hardships youve endured. i hope you learn to heal.

• Reply 114 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PK0702 View Post

I'm sure the militant homosexual fascists would bash Tim Cook if he didn't show up. Look at what happened to the Mozilla founder for privately disagreeing with the homosexual movement and having the audacity to believe marriage is between a man and woman (what shame he stepped down because a small minority disagreed him).

I wonder what the next American "social injustice" movement will be...?

your use of scare quotes indicates you dont believe that banning homosexuals from marrying is social injustice. if so, get a fucking clue. 

the mozilla guy was the public face of a major IT company -- that he funded a campaign to deny civil rights to another group of people is indeed unfitting for the most-public executive, and his outster was mandatory. if you dont get that youll never achieve the level of success Mozilla as a corporation has. 

what do you suppose would happen if the CEO of HP funded white supremacy groups? completely her legal right to do so, isnt it? of course. but not fitting for her very public position as figurehead of HP.

durrrrr

• Reply 115 of 197
    Quote:

3) Calling others primitive is offensive purely for having different customs is offensive. 

get real. having statues defining the execution of homosexuals is the definition of being primitive. it's one step above dumb, violent animals.

• Reply 116 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photoshop59 View Post

Tim Cook, gay leader of Apple, has no right to tread on the brand name "Apple" by using it to promote his sexual preferences.  It is good that homosexuals are coming more into the open, but corporate matters should be separated from sexual orientation.  

Jobs had class.  We all knew that he was liberal, and open to sexual freedom, but he ALWAYS showed his CLASS  - unlike the relatively non-creative (so far) heir, Cook who stands on Jobs' accomplishments, and SELLS not innovation, but his gayness as though it is an 'accomplishment' that shareholders should be proud of. 

Hodor! Hodor hodor hodor, hodor. Hordoooor!!

• Reply 117 of 197
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photoshop59 View Post

Please cite "Tea Party Groups" blocking sales due to Cook's gayness.  You're living in your own gay reality bubble to craft that big lie.  You're probably a desperate gay person, who really knows very little about the Tea Party, who in fact does not have any concern for anyone's sexual orientation, but prefer to tout such things as fiscal responsibility, and adherence to the constitution.  

Please. What is the Tea Party? What is their vision for the future of America? Because I don't see one.

• Reply 118 of 197
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    relic wrote: »
    Did you have to show some kind of proof that you were gay to get a free iTunes card because I would have totally Frenched a chick for one, God knows I've done more for less.
    You're funny. Har Har. The iTunes cards aren't for gay people, they are for all people. You don't have to be gay anything to attend the pride celebration. :no:
  • Reply 119 of 197
    splif wrote: »
    Please. What is the Tea Party? What is their vision for the future of America? Because I don't see one.

Free scones for everyone. :lol:
  • Reply 120 of 197
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Free scones for everyone. image

Great to see there is still a sense of humor here. That would cost money. I think you meant free scorns for everyone. ;)