Los Angeles school district to shift away from Apple's iPad to Windows, Chromebook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foad View Post

I spoke with an old friend who is high up in LAUSD (former high school teacher of mine and now in a position to know) and it pretty much boiled down to wheels getting greased. It isn't based on merit, which is par for the course in the LAUSD. It is one of the most dysfunctional districts. LAUSD is bureaucratically paralyzed and I am not shocked by this story in the least. 

I think that pretty much applies to all the school districts in this country. One of the big reasons we've fallen so far behind in education compared to other nations. The school district here is terrible. Awful teachers get to keep their jobs thanks to the unions. 

• Reply 42 of 79
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I think that pretty much applies to all the school districts in this country. One of the big reasons we've fallen so far behind in education compared to other nations. The school district here is terrible. Awful teachers get to keep their jobs thanks to the unions. 

Public employee unions need to be illegal. Even FDR wrote about the dangers of allowing government employees to form unions and strike.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Yea and if it is about money these idiots are going to throw away a lot more money when they find themselves fighting malware, viruses, DNS attacks on those crappy PC's. Not to mention reliability issues which will have them spending twice as much money repairing these cheap pieces of crap versus actually using them. 

• Reply 44 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Chromebooks threaten Microsoft in education more than Apple as they both target the same general use cases. Apple's iPads have a different set of advantages for certain classroom needs. Use of one shouldn't preclude the use of another. LA shouid be commended for both recognizing it and doing something about it.

https://www.edsurge.com/n/2013-12-04-chromebooks-and-ipads-rivals-no-more
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304856504579338941198812358
  • Reply 45 of 79
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

...In other words, it's simply business as usual in the public education system...

+1 Thank you for a concise image of delegating responsibility combined with other people's money.

- Compounded by Chromebooks needing to be online most of the time -- how much offline homework can get done?

- Compounded by giving All of your child's Digital Identity to Google? That is OK with parents and educators, really?

• Reply 46 of 79
    wmsfo wrote: »

And if that is not enough here is some more reference/technical materials for Education Deployment:

Manage Devices and Content in the Classroom - http://www.apple.com/education/it/

iOS 7 Deployment Overview - http://images.apple.com/education/docs/EDU_Deployment_Overview_EN_Mar14.pdf

Looks like Apple does provide methods of deploying iOS devices ...

Apple should deploy the school/college IT requirements gratis. All they need do is supply a check-list and deploy it to all the education districts' iOS devices. It's called after-sales service.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Standardized tests should be platform agnostic as should the schools.

I realize it is more work for the IT people but the kids should get experience on all platforms.

Khan Academy doesn't require a particular platform and they seem to be one of the more successful educational resources that a lot of schools are utilizing.

• Reply 48 of 79
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Standardized tests should be platform agnostic as should the schools.

I realize it is more work for the IT people but the kids should get experience on all platforms.

Khan Academy doesn't require a particular platform and they seem to be one of the more successful educational resources that a lot of schools are utilizing.

I don't think it's the OS the schools are complaining about, it's the hardware form factor. It's not an Apple problem, it's a tablet problem. I'm not sure I disagree. Small screen with a small keyboard, with the keys on the same plane as the screen. Good for little kids with simple interface requirements, not as good for older kids having to write and do research. For them, a convertible actually seems like a good idea to me -- a tablet when that's most convenient, a laptop when required. They could just add a keyboard dock to an iPad except that the iPad doesn't support a mouse and you kinda need one when using it that way.

In the case of standardized tests, I guess they want to eliminate the device-type as a variable.

• Reply 49 of 79
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Stupid to specify specific model computers too. This way the guidelines will have to be re-written every few weeks as models come and go.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Were Apple's account reps doing their jobs properly?
  • Reply 51 of 79
    This would never have happened if Apple sold Windows tablet PCs and Google Netbooks, and gave up using proprietary technology and competed on price instead of quality. /s
  • Reply 52 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Not when the textbook is open. So, the "no" is back to you.

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Comparing the size to a closed textbook doesn't make much sense. Textbooks are generally more useful when open at twice the size of an iPad.

Seems difficult to take this seriously when you can’t interact with the content of a paper textbook in any meaningful way.

• Reply 53 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I don't think it's the OS the schools are complaining about, it's the hardware form factor. It's not an Apple problem, it's a tablet problem. I'm not sure I disagree. Small screen with a small keyboard, with the keys on the same plane as the screen. Good for little kids with simple interface requirements, not as good for older kids having to write and do research. For them, a convertible actually seems like a good idea to me -- a tablet when that's most convenient, a laptop when required. They could just add a keyboard dock to an iPad except that the iPad doesn't support a mouse and you kinda need one when using it that way.

One problem is that many inner-city high school students don't have home environments that are conducive to homework or studying which is where most of the research and writing really should be done, and they don't have computers at home either. Ideally, school hours should be used for instruction not research and writing, but what do I know? I've been out of school for decades. I am involved in a lot of continuing education in the medical field and all of it is professional presenters, video and slides with multiple choice tests for which an iPad is quite satisfactory.

• Reply 54 of 79
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Of course. But Apple is greedy. Education is a right and Apple should help subsidise it for all people.

Food is a right and McDonald's should help subsidise it for all people.

Clothing is a right and Levi's should help subsidise it for all people.

Water is a right and Evian should help subsidise it for all people.

?Housing is a right and Clayton Homes should help subsidise it for all people.

Indoor plumbing is a right and Kohler should help subsidise it for all people.

Footwear is a right and Nike should help subsidise it for all people.

Health care is a right and all people are now subsidizing it for all people, proving that education for all people has been an abject failure.

• Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foad View Post

I spoke with an old friend who is high up in LAUSD (former high school teacher of mine and now in a position to know) and it pretty much boiled down to wheels getting greased. It isn't based on merit, which is par for the course in the LAUSD. It is one of the most dysfunctional districts. LAUSD is bureaucratically paralyzed and I am not shocked by this story in the least. 

Ask your friend why they can't even fire a child molester.

• Reply 56 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

Ask your friend why they can't even fire a child molester.

I’m to understand that the concept of tenure in schools only allows for legal due process between the teacher and a claimant, and that removing this revokes the teacher’s right to present his or her argument at all–immediate firing, as it were.

• Reply 57 of 79
    This decision is 100% about money, not diversification of devices in schools. If it were the latter, Apple products would not be excluded completely... and using a physical keyboard as a reason? That's simply ridiculous, as kids are doing fine without them. It's the adults who are used to physical keyboards who find it challenging.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Comparing the size to a closed textbook doesn't make much sense. Textbooks are generally more useful when open at twice the size of an iPad.

It is correct that it can open to double the size of an iPad but ultimately you're doubling the space taken up on a desk. If you have two iPads side by side to match the information density of an open textbook, you would achieve the same thing. Additionally, an iPad can hold many multiple of textbooks in a lighter, more flexible, form factor. 

• Reply 59 of 79
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

and using a physical keyboard as a reason? That's simply ridiculous, as kids are doing fine without them. It's the adults who are used to physical keyboards who find it challenging.

No, that argument is fair. Typing on an iOS virtual keyboard is demonstrably more difficult and less efficient than a physical keyboard. That doesn't mean the iOS keyboard is no good, just that it's not AS good as a full-size, physical alternative.

"Useable" is not the same as "equivalent to." If the objective of a standardized test (which is the context in which the keyboard came up) is designed or intended to remove the device as an influence, the presence or absence of a physical keyboard could be considered a valid consideration.

• Reply 60 of 79
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Most parents dont pay any taxes or dont pay their fair share. Here is a clue dont have kids you cant afford to support.
    runbuh wrote: »
    I think there may have been a missing /s in the post to which you are referring.

However, it's all a matter of perspective. In the USA, if children are going to public schools, which are taxpayer funded, then many taxpaying parents of said children will claim that a K-12 education is a right. To the best of my knowledge, the Constitution does not state anything about education. However, many state constitutions do (if you believe what you read on the internets). For example, California states:

http://oag.ca.gov/publications/CRhandbook/ch6
    The right to a public education in California is a fundamental right fully guaranteed and protected by the California Constitution

Futhermore:
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_9

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
    ARTICLE 9 EDUCATION

SECTION 1. A general diffusion of knowledge and intelligence being
    essential to the preservation of the rights and liberties of the
    people, the Legislature shall encourage by all suitable means the
    promotion of intellectual, scientific, moral, and agricultural
    improvement.

SEC. 5. The Legislature shall provide for a system of common
    schools by which a free school shall be kept up and supported in each
    district at least six months in every year, after the first year in
    which a school has been established.

SEC. 7.5. The State Board of Education shall adopt textbooks for
    use in grades one through eight throughout the State, to be furnished
    without cost as provided by statute.

Most parents dont pay any taxes or dont pay their fair share. Here is a clue dont have kids you cant afford to support.