Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I think he is way too good for those gearheads at the Verge. He should have his own site, which maybe he does.

Unfortunately Boy Genius Report is already taken.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Testing for sapphire by bending the thing under his shoe seems pretty lame! In fact, gorilla glass is supposed to be more flexible than sapphire, so this test shows nothing. He should give the thing to someone with equipment to actually determine what it's made of. Just checking the index of refraction would be a big clue, since sapphire is around 1.8 and gorilla glass is around 1.5.

I'm skeptical that this is actually sapphire. I think Apple is going to need all its sapphire this year to cover hundreds of millions of touch ID sensors on all its new devices. And sapphire is probably not as good as gorilla glass as a front panel material, since it's more brittle.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

If only the housing of the next iPhone could be dropped without leaving nasty marks.  My iPhone 5 is all scratched up on the edges and the bottom from trying to insert the damn lightning connector.  Anodizing doesn't make aluminum hard enough.  Cover the whole damn phone in sapphire!

• Reply 24 of 92
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    This dude needs to do a moss hardness test. Scratching a key and knife to it tells us this display is harder than the key and the knife... and nothing else. The iphone 5 would also pass that.

moss? like green soft stuff?

dunno about you but I don't have anything harder than keys or a knife in my pocket....
  • Reply 25 of 92
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    ingela wrote: »
    The kid sounds like a pro. Sounds like he is ready for a prime time job with a TV network. The Verge or anyone that produces a lot of tech videos should snap him up with a job.

Why?, to be more of them to tell lies about Apple?
  • Reply 26 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    If only the housing of the next iPhone could be dropped without leaving nasty marks.  My iPhone 5 is all scratched up on the edges and the bottom from trying to insert the damn lightning connector.  Anodizing doesn't make aluminum hard enough.  Cover the whole damn phone in sapphire!
    How can plugging in the lightening connector be that difficult?
  • Reply 27 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    It would be extreme torture to wear shoes that ugly.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Sweet! I am so ready.

• Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Well, it could be they're in Asia for assembly; might be easier to snag a sample from there than anywhere else? Who knows? I'm just guessing, obviously.

If this thing truly is a sample from the next iPhone model, Wow! image

If true, then it sounds like those factories have a rampant parts theft problem.

• Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You must be sober all the time. :smokey:

• Reply 31 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Dude needs to buy some new shoes. It looks like he's going bowling.

And if that is indeed a genuine iPhone 6 part, then why isn't Apple busting down his door, and retrieving their stolen property?

It makes no difference if he is not the one who stole the part. The thief either gave it or sold it to him, and being in possession of stolen property is not legal, last I checked.

• Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Dude needs to buy some new shoes. It looks like he's going bowling.

And if that is indeed a genuine iPhone 6 part, then why isn't Apple busting down his door, and retrieving their stolen property?

It makes no difference if he is not the one who stole the part. The thief either gave it or sold it to him, and being in possession of stolen property is not legal, last I checked.

That would probably only serve to confirm its legitimacy after the fact, because the video has already been released, so the damage is done. Getting it back would not change anything at this point.

EDIT: the other possibility is that it is fake.

• Reply 33 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mejsric wrote: »
    So Marques Brownlee is an Apple Fanboy now??? Coz his G+ Post is so ridiculous of hating iPhone.

If true, I take back what I said about him. Wish there was a link.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That would probably only serve to confirm its legitimacy after the fact, because the video has already been released, so the damage is done. Getting it back would not change anything at this point.

EDIT: the other possibility is that it is fake.

It could lead Apple to the source, to the criminal who stole it.

Of course, there's always the possibility that it is fake, but if it is genuine, then I would prefer that Apple doubles down on secrecy, like they mentioned a while back.

• Reply 35 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Made in Arizona, assembled in Asia.

It’s psychotic that this is how some things are made...

• Reply 36 of 92
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously?

If Apple is to deliver new iPhones in the late August -September time frame they have to get production debugged and ramped up! Even now they are cutting it close because they would need at least a full months production before release date simply to have suitable stock for the mad rush. Considering previous releases they likely would need close to three month production.

I work in a different industry but launches can make or break a product so I'm not surprised at all to find this material in Asia. It is good to see these leaks, now only if we could get a leak related to the Mini!

I thought these were coming out of Apple's sapphire plant in Arizona??? Why are these so-called sapphire panel leaks coming from Apple's assembly line in Asia?
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s psychotic that this is how some things are made...

If things are heading towards more robots and less humans, then why can't that be done in the USA? Does a robot cost that much more to operate in the US instead of China? Apple, being all green like they are, can build a huge plant with hundreds of thousands of robots, if not millions, all powered by solar.

It's good that Apple is making the Mac Pros in the USA now, but eventually I'd like to see more USA based production of other Apple products. Screw the foreign workers, just eliminate most of them. 

• Reply 38 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If things are heading towards more robots and less humans, then why can't that be done in the USA? Does a robot cost that much more to operate in the US instead of China? Apple, being all green like they are, can build a huge plant with hundreds of thousands of robots, if not millions, all powered by solar.

Exactly. We’ll bring manufacturing–and jobs–back here. Not the 100,000 menial factory line jobs that we would have needed in the 1980s, but that’s for the best.

• Reply 39 of 92
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    The kid sounds like a pro. Sounds like he is ready for a prime time job with a TV network. The Verge or anyone that produces a lot of tech videos should snap him up with a job.
    yes, his reviews are great.

When he put it under his shoe I thought for sure it was going to snap. Leak or not, this is great pre-advertising for Apple. This is going to be a great selling point.
    yep

It's starting to look real and pretty damn fantastic. Ain't no way that's glass.
    Yep
    I think he is way too good for those gearheads at the Verge. He should have his own site, which maybe he does.
    Yep
    ash471 wrote: »
    The bend test was pretty cool.  I wish we could see a side-by-side comparison with gorilla glass. You might be surprised how flexible glass is when it's thin. 
    One thing is for sure, if Apple uses a sapphire display, it will be better than gorilla glass.  Apple doesn't use gimmicks. If the material doesn't have a real world benefit, they wouldn't use it. 
    What apple does, while Samsung is plastic, apple is saphire, basically diamond.

mejsric wrote: »
    So Marques Brownlee is an Apple Fanboy now??? Coz his G+ Post is so ridiculous of hating iPhone.
    He seems to compare everything else to apple. Plus you notice he owns a Mac Pro connected to two 4k displays(as well he uses MacBooks for examples)
    imember wrote: »
    This is the same guy who said ios 8 copied android and said nothing about android l (lollipop or nobody gives a !!!!, this is not Apple it means nothing) copied ios 7 because they copied ios 7 so much that they should it call it ios 7 rip instead of android r j I o or l, Android added widgets first? android it souldnt even exist!
    Now back to topic that one is fake, phablet and ugly design that doesn't sound like apple at all, Apple is more interested to make us the perfect gadget made from diamond (sapphire) and titanium 2 (liquid metal) by AI (foxbot) easy to handle instead of uncomfortable mini tablet phone
    Shamesung was the one who started those fake rumors about iPhone 6 phablet to advertise is phablets
    100% true
    eriamjh wrote: »
    if there having shortages 50% saphire device don't you think double would hurt more.

rogifan wrote: »
    some people like android devices where they can just replace the cord the device each week.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If true, then it sounds like those factories have a rampant parts theft problem.

Theft is a problem in factories all over the world. That is why many of them are fairly secure places. It is also why I have to laugh when people that have never held a job complain about security and strictness at factories. People have varying morals and often an attitude develops where they want to stick it to the man.

Beyond all of that we don't even know if this was stolen, it could be a defective item picked out of the trash. Or it could be planned seeding of information by Apple. Plants like these can fuel interest in devices in ways that normal advertising can't. Considering I'm sitting on the east coast it is hard to tell what is going on here.