Purported 'iPhone 6' sapphire display undergoes extreme torture test in video

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    nhajnhaj Posts: 7member
    With the new iPhone 6 coming out I better sell my old iPhone before the value of it drops. I usually search 8-13 different sites to find the best offer, but I just found this company that compares all the buyback companies in one spot, it%u2019s called RecomHub.

It%u2019s like Kayak but for electronic devices that show you all the offers in one spot.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Yeah, Apple sure isn’t known for protecting their intellectual property¡

Sorry but speculation doesn't count as intellectual property.
    Or do you know for a fact that this, together with all the other "genuine" Apple parts we see for weeks before a new release is anticipated, is the real thing?
  • Reply 63 of 92
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Hey Corning... tell me again how fragile Sapphire Crystal is...

• Reply 64 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Folks, sapphire *doesn't bend* like this. Not even close.

This is Gorilla Glass 3.

Noted.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

If this is a legitimate test, Corning is going to be so butt-hurt.  Corning's CEO is going to have to really make a valid argument how Gorilla Glass 3 is far better in so many ways than what Apple has to offer.  Especially after claiming that it was impossible for Apple to build a viable substitute for Gorilla Glass 3.  It's a real head-scratcher why rival companies go out on a limb to crucify Apple's abilities to come up with a solution to a problem.  Anyway, the torture test looks impressive to me especially if the display really can't be scratched in a person's pocket or when slid across a table.  Go, Apple.  All that's needed would be IP67 certification for the iPhone 6 and that would really pull in the buyers.

Not sure how you are so certain this is real but I don't think Corning is going to have any problems. Gorilla Glass 3 is cheaper and much easier to produce than sapphire. Most cell phone producers will gladly take Gorilla Glass 3. Apple is always looking to work with premium materials that are challenging and usually more expensive than common components so this is a win for them too. The only ones in a pinch are Samsung who love to follow Apple's every move. They will probably release one premium model Galaxy phone with sapphire glass but since Apple has most of sapphire production locked up right now, they will never be able to outfit all of their phones with this the way Apple seems to be planning to.

• Reply 66 of 92
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Okay, something is not quite right with that video. I am not saying it is not sapphire crystal, when he tapped on it with the knife it did not sound right, It had dull sound. I have my sapphire crystal watch and just did the same thing and it tings like a crystal wine glass, verse a dull dud of a plane water glass. Crystal structures have a distinct sound that make so it not sounding as if it is pure sapphire crystal. They much be doing something else here.

Maybe apple is depositing sapphire crystal onto gorilla glass or something similar Thus the reason it is not scratching and it has a dull sound.

• Reply 67 of 92
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

Sapphire = Aluminum Oxide.

Our new iPhones will be made of TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM! Plus some air.

Thanks to Scotty when he came back in time and used a Mac Plus to share the formula with us when he needed a quick tank to hold a couple of whales inside a Klingon Battlecruiser.

• Reply 68 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

Sorry but speculation doesn't count as intellectual property.

I’m pretty sure you don’t know what speculation is, given that the guy is holding a physical object in his hand and claiming it’s a real product.

Speculation is claiming a 5.5” iPhone exists.

• Reply 69 of 92
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What about that extreme flexing of the glass panel?

That's only GG2. GG3 is even better as they can make it thinner than GG2 but at a higher strength.

There is no proof that the fascia shown is sapphire and that's because it's not.

He starts off saying it is and then switches to "presuming it's sapphire".

It's BS rumors that disappoint the press and give haters something to moan about when Apple don't release something to the spec that the rumors state.

Sapphire glass on the iPhone. Not this year.

• Reply 70 of 92
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterGriffin View Post

This is Gorilla Glass 3.

Afraid I have to agree.

• Reply 71 of 92
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterGriffin View Post

This is Gorilla Glass 3.

None of us here are exactly sure if this is Sapphire or Gorilla Glass based on a video. Either way, why make such definitive statements one way or another when no one yet knows. 

• Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

None of us here are exactly sure if this is Sapphire or Gorilla Glass based on a video. Either way, why make such definitive statements one way or another when no one yet knows. 

Because the person in the video has no clue what he is talking about, he lack any engineering or scientific background or knowledge to make an assessment on what the material really is. 

I am not willing to say what it is and I have the background to understand there is too many things I seeing and reading which do not add up to what I understand and know. I have been around long enough to realize they could be break throws which will challenge what I know so I leave it at that. Here are these videos which I am not sure has been posted before.

and here is another way to know if it is Sapphire, I did not know about the water thing, but knew about the sound which I stated before about this display before, it does not sound like a crystal.

• Reply 73 of 92
    Gorilla glass is just is strong. Look at this video of a bend test with gorilla glass. Note that this is Gorilla glass 2 and Gorilla glass 3 is now out and is said to be more flexible and 40% more scratch resistant. Keys and a knife are not going to scratch any phone. I regularly pull my keys out and go to town on my phone to show people that you are not going to scratch it. What normally scratch your screen is silica based material like sand that is in your pocket and gets pressed up against your screen. Or dropping your phone on the ground that has sand and dirt and rock. I cannot speak to the clearness of the screen however as I'm not sure how clear gorilla glass is.

• Reply 74 of 92
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Okay, something is not quite right with that video. I am not saying it is not sapphire crystal, when he tapped on it with the knife it did not sound right, It had dull sound. I have my sapphire crystal watch and just did the same thing and it tings like a crystal wine glass, verse a dull dud of a plane water glass. Crystal structures have a distinct sound that make so it not sounding as if it is pure sapphire crystal. They much be doing something else here.

Maybe apple is depositing sapphire crystal onto gorilla glass or something similar Thus the reason it is not scratching and it has a dull sound.

Is it possible it didn't sound right because when he poked it with the knife it was on a towel, which may have absorbed the "ting"?

And did not Apple submit a patent in late 2013 for a flexible sapphire display?

I have to say, though, that i still think the most likely scenario is a hair thin sapphire laminate bonded to gorilla glass. That process was also patented by Apple last year if I remember correctly.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleDigger View Post

Is it possible it didn't sound right because when he poked it with the knife it was on a towel, which may have absorbed the "ting"?

And did not Apple submit a patent in late 2013 for a flexible sapphire display?

I have to say, though, that i still think the most likely scenario is a hair thin sapphire laminate bonded to gorilla glass. That process was also patented by Apple last year if I remember correctly.

He did actually tap it when holding it in the air as well and it did not sound right for sapphire, but I agree it could be some sort of laminating process. Also they could have modified the chemistry of the sapphire to make it more ductile while keeping most of its strength so it may not sound like a crystal structure.

I am also a little suspicious of Corning's comments about you can not make a sapphire crystal phone display. This could be a preemptive attack to keep their customer from going looking for a sapphire solution if in fact that is what apple is coming out with. It could also be to try and keep wall street happy if they begin thinking apple dump them when in fact they did not since it a hybrid solution of GG3 and sapphire. Who know, we will just have to wait and see at this point since everyone is guessing.

• Reply 76 of 92
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Let's see:

4.7" Sapphire screen

A8 chip

Thinner, lighter

better battery

.......anything else?

Same price.

Would that be enough to upgrade from 5s? I say YES.

• Reply 77 of 92
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’m pretty sure you don’t know what speculation is, given that the guy is holding a physical object in his hand and claiming it’s a real product.

Speculation is claiming a 5.5” iPhone exists.

And the key word is . . . claims. !!!

My point exactly.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    mistergrey wrote: »
    Actually a steel knife is harder than Gorilla Glass and should scratch it a tiny bit, but he didn't do it enough or hard enough, (or zoom in to let us see) to know for sure.  

What he should have done is use sand.  Quartz is harder than Gorilla Glass but softer than sapphire.  Sand will always scratch glass, but it shouldn't hurt sapphire. 

You gotta think that some of these employees know they can make more by selling an unreleased iPhone part than they would working 2 years of 16-hour days at Foxconn. What is the going price for an unreleased iPhone 6 screen? $5k, $10k?
  • Reply 79 of 92
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    Watch the first 5 seconds of this video to get an idea of the sapphire that Apple may be working with. This piece shown can't even support it's own weight, and it's only a couple inches in diameter.

• Reply 80 of 92

Mos hardness test is a scientific method of measuring scratch resistance.  You scratch the material with a variety of minerals until you begin to see a scratch.

Beyond metal the next things that will scratch a phone are granite counter top, ceramics, and sand/dirt/grit on top of a surface that is otherwise safe.