Apple's CarPlay could be in more than 24 million vehicles by 2019, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    because it does not keep their eyes on the road, it force them to look at the display in the dash to do things.

So right now people are having to use their iPhone to select songs and make calls but you think that having buttons on the steering wheel, which includes Siri, will make them look at the in-dash display more than their iPhone display? Are you saying looking at the iPhone is better than in-dash display? Why? Because you can hold it up in front of your face so you can keep an eye on the road? That's even worse than using your iPhone display whilst driving? Even using the Home Button for Siri on your iPhone without looking is less safe than CarPlay's ability to call Siri eyes-free from the steering wheel button.

Your argument sounds like the same logic that people use to say that you shouldn't teach teenagers about sex or offer birth control because it will make them more promiscuous. How about offering a safer way of doing what people will be doing regardless. We aren't going to see dashboard with AC and radio controls removed from cars so we might as well make the actions people have always done more safe.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    I have a 1970 Subaru Liberty (Australian Version) of Legacy which came with a built in Sat Nav, priced at 4,000 AUD. Every time I want to upgrade the software it cost over $200 AUD!

I can't wait for the day where maps in your car will update for free over the internet with your iPhone. iPhone software gets updated regularly at no cost and I would say Car Play will be no different!

As for CarPlay lasting 10 years, I would be happy for my car to last 10 years! With depreciation and the insurance value of your car after 10 years, it's not really valid to keep a car going for that long! One small accident and it will be written off the road.

I'm also sure that if you did keep a car that long and there was a new and better version of Car Play it would be able to be retro-fitted, even for older cars. If it fits in your dash of course!

Being able to interact by using Siri would mean hands stay on the wheel and eyes on the road!

Bring it on. I can't wait for CarPlay!
  • Reply 43 of 45
    cali wrote: »
    WHERE THE HELL ARE THE APPLE aftermarket units???!!

Why? Are you interested in one?
  • Reply 44 of 45
    rob53 wrote: »
    maestro64 wrote: »

Again, people should be driving their cars not entertaining themselves while they drive. and you wonder why we have road rage and people trying to kill each other while they drive.
    Philadelphia, great town, but now I know not to drive there because of all the road rage. The funny thing about drivers where I live is while they do have their stupid phone up to their ear, I also see them putting on makeup, shaving, eating, smoking with the other hand out the window, looking straight ahead and now scanning the street for potential problems, using paper maps in their lap, reading books, and of course yelling at their kids in the back seat. All of these can cause accidents but the one I hate the most is the jackass driver who tailgates everyone and speeds around cars without a care in the world. They aren't on their phone and aren't listening to the radio, they're just driving like a maniac. Maybe a little soothing music would help them.

Philadelphia is known for its freedom, according to Elton John. Perhaps that is what causes the road rage.

Sounds as though you have some nimble-fingered multi-tasking drivers. If I could shave and eat at the same time, let alone drive as well, I'd shave five minutes off my routine.

Don't forget that music can enrage people, too. Maybe they're listening to too much rap.